Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 24, 2024, 10:37:11 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690498
  • Total Topics: 118334
  • Online Today: 732
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: SPQR - Warlord Ancients Warband game.  (Read 31140 times)

Offline jetengine

• Mad Scientist
Re: SPQR - Warlord Ancients Skirmish game.
« Reply #45 on: June 13, 2019, 07:27:25 AM »
To be fair however, this game is meant for release late next month. Their working on Battle reports etc at the moment. We're just being a tad over enthusiastic. Now if nothing turns up a week from release, yeah then we can get really irate.

Offline nervisfr

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Ch'ti Ré-Animator
« Reply #46 on: June 13, 2019, 07:49:46 AM »
Warlord is a business and as such its goal is to sell as many models as it can. If what the consumers demand is skirmish games, it makes sense to take advantage of what the market wants and marketing both the rules and the miniatures together. Specially, given the fact that Warlord is a miniatures company!

i understand that buy but if the means aren't involved to do it...........Make new with old stuff then   ;)

but we need to wait the release to see what it is  ???
Frenchy Eric, aka Ch'ti Eric or Re-Animator
"J'ai bon caractere mais j'ai le glaive vengeur et le bras seculier"

http://chti-reanimator59.blogspot.fr[

Offline Vanth

• Librarian
    • Warcolours Miniature Painting Studio
« Reply #47 on: June 13, 2019, 10:19:23 AM »
I find it a bit confusing that there is such a disparity in the numbers of Celts and Romans: it seems that the Romans should be very strong in the game, much stronger than theor Celt counterparts. But all the ancient historians, especially the Roman ones, agree that man for man Romans were not a match for the Celts: for this reason they almost never accepted the fight between champions that was often offered before/in lieu of the battle. If I remember correctly only one or two instances of a roman actually beating a Celt in single combat are recorded, and they are specifically mentioned as exceptional feats, to the point that the winner of one (I am not sure about the second) acquired his name of Manlius Torquatus exactly for this, having acquired the torque of the defeated Celt.
The strenght of the Romans was in their organization, fighting in formation and uniting their strenght and training rather than in the individual strenght of the single fighter, like it was for the Celts. So I guess that either this is going to be not much of a skirmish, rather a low unit count battle like a mini Hail Caesar, or the game is going to have about the same approach to actual history as Bolt Action, ie fairly off the mark
Vanth
"...there are more things in Heaven and Earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in thyne philosophy..:"

http://www.warcolours.net
https://www.facebook.com/warcolours
https://www.etsy.com/shop/WarcoloursMiniatures
https://www.instagram.com/warcoloursminiatures/

Offline Agis

• villainous mastermind
  • Galactic Brain
    • A.D.Publishing
« Reply #48 on: June 13, 2019, 07:02:04 PM »
I was mildly interested, but Warlord lost me once more as soon as I saw the number of minis involved…
;)
cheers and keep on gaming, Agis - http://www.adpublishing.de

Offline Lord Raglan

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Abergavenny
« Reply #49 on: June 13, 2019, 07:17:02 PM »
what's the issue with the number of miniatures, 150 or so figures on the table is hardly a mass battle?

I have been playing Mortal Gods recently and I think its more fun to double or triple the size of what they recommend as a standard size force.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2019, 09:01:08 PM by Lord Raglan »

Offline Lost Egg

• Mastermind
« Reply #50 on: June 13, 2019, 07:26:21 PM »
I guess its all down to personal taste...some people like a handful of minis in a skirmish while others like 10 or 20. For my part this game sounds more like a Warband level skirmish than what is generally considered a skirmish by most gamers. Each to their own.
My current project...Classic Wargame - An experiment in 24" of wargaming!

https://leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=140633.new#new

Offline Agis

• villainous mastermind
  • Galactic Brain
    • A.D.Publishing
« Reply #51 on: June 13, 2019, 07:58:30 PM »
what's the issue with the number, 150 or so figures on the table is hardly a mass battle?

I have been playing Mortal Gods recently and I think its more fun to double or triple the size of what they recommend as a standard size force.
Indeed personal taste, I like skirmish games up to a max # of 30 minis...

Offline mkultra99

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Bookworm
« Reply #52 on: June 13, 2019, 08:16:40 PM »
SOME OF THE CELTS\GAULS WILL BE ALLIED TO THE ROMANS.. damn why is this so hard to grasp? Now whether 40 or so models per side is a "skirmish" or not, is entirely a different issue. Is SAGA a "skirmish"? Is Test of Honor a "skirmish"? I know they are not "battles".. pip pip cheerio

Offline Antonio J Carrasco

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mad Scientist
« Reply #53 on: June 13, 2019, 08:41:57 PM »
So far I am on the fence with this game. There is not enough information to make up my mind. What is its "selling point"? Why should I chose SPQR instead other sets of Skirmish rules? I don't know. Maybe I will order it once it is published and the first AARs appear, but at the present I have not a sound reason to spend 20 GBPs in the book.

Offline Kommando_J

• Mastermind
« Reply #54 on: June 13, 2019, 10:14:57 PM »
Following with interest myself as I've always liked ancients but been put off by the mini count, agree about warlord games, too many games and not enough support for cores, loads of bolt action units still without minis for starters...and all they do is keep releasing more damn planes/ships for blood red skies/cruel seas.

Offline jetengine

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #55 on: June 13, 2019, 10:32:49 PM »
SOME OF THE CELTS\GAULS WILL BE ALLIED TO THE ROMANS.. damn why is this so hard to grasp? Now whether 40 or so models per side is a "skirmish" or not, is entirely a different issue. Is SAGA a "skirmish"? Is Test of Honor a "skirmish"? I know they are not "battles".. pip pip cheerio

Have Warlord confirmed this ?

Following with interest myself as I've always liked ancients but been put off by the mini count, agree about warlord games, too many games and not enough support for cores, loads of bolt action units still without minis for starters...and all they do is keep releasing more damn planes/ships for blood red skies/cruel seas.

With all due respect  if your just buying from Warlord your not exactly being imaginative. Unlike GW Warlord couldn't care less if you use another companies models (I mean sure, be nice if you DID buy from them but a Sherman is a Sherman is a Sherman) wheras the Planes/Ships are harder to find.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2019, 10:37:39 PM by jetengine »

Offline jetengine

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #56 on: June 13, 2019, 10:36:18 PM »
Double post
« Last Edit: June 13, 2019, 10:37:56 PM by jetengine »

Offline Kommando_J

• Mastermind
« Reply #57 on: June 14, 2019, 05:18:43 PM »
Warlord put out this in their email, new druid, chief and mounted chief it seems.

I like the buff chief, the druid looks a bit too 'stereotypical' methinks though.

Offline mkultra99

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Bookworm
« Reply #58 on: June 14, 2019, 06:46:09 PM »
The difference between SPQR and other rules seems to be the campaign "progression"  mechanics. Its not so common in historical rules but it's been used to great effect in Necromunda, Mordheim, Bloodbowl, etc etc. Which is really the only reason Im interested in the game at all.

Offline Kommando_J

• Mastermind
« Reply #59 on: June 14, 2019, 08:29:01 PM »
Woops, forgot pic.