Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 04:33:26 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1689615
  • Total Topics: 118288
  • Online Today: 681
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online
Users: 7
Guests: 527
Total: 534

Recent

Author Topic: SPQR - Warlord Ancients Warband game.  (Read 31064 times)

Offline Coenus Scaldingus

• Mad Scientist
Re: SPQR - Warlord Ancients Warband game.
« Reply #90 on: June 23, 2019, 10:03:06 AM »
For all the comparisons to GW, I feel WG is acting very similarly to them actually. Like the plethora of games GW has released over the past 5 years, most are not meant to be "the next big thing". It's a modest investment that get people excited to start a new collection or two (easily done for games requiring a few dozen models at most), a way for the company to generate interest in some older sculpts and create a little game that will see some play for a few months, before something else comes along. Just like GW's Shadow War or Kill Team, it caters specifically to warbands easily available from them, unlike say Hail Caesar which covers anything you expect to be covered for that timeframe. It's not meant to be earth-shattering, revolutionary, innovative and indeed well-supported. Just something that's probably fun enough to spend a few quid on, and a small enough investment for them to easily make the money back through direct sales and increased interest in their various miniatures.
~Ad finem temporum~

Offline Kommando_J

• Mastermind
« Reply #91 on: June 23, 2019, 04:35:11 PM »
I'm mixed on warlord, like their sculpts and customer service/friendly interaction, not so fussed on this whole new approach of just throwing games out until one sticks, with the new Napoleonic ship game coming out I can foresee endless churning out of digitally sculpted ships and planes...and it bores me.

And now they are switching to resin possibly and trying out a range of stores in N. America...getting more like GW by the day.

Offline ether_drake

• Bookworm
    • Blog: Ether Drake's Cave
« Reply #92 on: June 23, 2019, 06:50:02 PM »
Not sure if I like this new turn towards resin for the heroes (warlord had tested resin 95th rifles at the waterloo great game for sale).

Might get myself the rulebook, at the very least the sacrifice mini would be useful and the rules seem adaptable.

Just got this in my email, seems buff gaul is a character, i'm hoping we see new sculpts to fill out command, also the old gaul kit is looking decidedly dated.

I'm wondering if these hero box sets are like the support box sets for bolt action? Have all the guys in one set for easier purchase/storage?

Hmm. That druid is missing a cauldron, some magic potions and a pint-sized Gaul to drink them.
Blog: Ether Drake's Cave

https://etherdrakecave.blogspot.com/

Offline Captain Harlock

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #93 on: June 23, 2019, 11:35:17 PM »
Hmm. That druid is missing a cauldron, some magic potions and a pint-sized Gaul to drink them.

And the furious warrior is missing some paperwork for an A38 permit  lol

Offline jetengine

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #94 on: June 24, 2019, 07:54:21 AM »
And now they are switching to resin possibly and trying out a range of stores in N. America...getting more like GW by the day.

Dont you just hate it when a buisness tries to be successful?

Offline Arrigo

• Mastermind
  • errare humanum est, perseverare diabolicum est
    • Forward HQ my new blog where you can laugh at my crappy photos!
« Reply #95 on: June 24, 2019, 10:42:36 AM »
Dont you just hate it when a buisness tries to be successful?

Have to agree with jetengine, the game is not yet out, the miniatures are just up for pre-order, and beside few reasoned comments, all seems blank criticism. Now... I can start  a rant on how negative the community is... or simply relax and realize that we are called grognards for some reason!  :D
"Put Grant straight in"

for pretty tanks and troops: http://forwardhq.blogspot.com

Offline Antonio J Carrasco

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mad Scientist
« Reply #96 on: June 24, 2019, 02:14:02 PM »
See someone raised an interesting point to me
 This game isnt due out for another month, yet we're demanding info now. Meanwhile GW can hold back a release within 2 weeks and it'll sell like hotcakes.

GW caters to a captive market, who will buy its games regardless the contents (I know quite a few people that doesn't care for the game, but the minis can be used in other GW games and bought individually would be more expensive than with the contents of the box, therefore they buy the game!).

Warlord must compete within a niche market, where it is competing with at least three other rulesets (OGAM, Men of Bronze and Mortal Gods) plus the adaptations to Ancients of other popular skirmish games set in different periods, but that can be used for Ancients with a small effort.

Thing is that so far we don't know what is the big deal with Warlord's rules. They must convince us to spend our money in their product. What do they offer that their competitors don't? How long have been developing the game? Who have been the playtesters? Show us an AAR in a nice tabletop and hype us. In short: do what GW does and sell your product as if it is the Second Coming and you can't be happy if you don't own a copy!

Offline jetengine

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #97 on: June 24, 2019, 04:27:33 PM »
GW caters to a captive market, who will buy its games regardless the contents (I know quite a few people that doesn't care for the game, but the minis can be used in other GW games and bought individually would be more expensive than with the contents of the box, therefore they buy the game!).

Warlord must compete within a niche market, where it is competing with at least three other rulesets (OGAM, Men of Bronze and Mortal Gods) plus the adaptations to Ancients of other popular skirmish games set in different periods, but that can be used for Ancients with a small effort.

Thing is that so far we don't know what is the big deal with Warlord's rules. They must convince us to spend our money in their product. What do they offer that their competitors don't? How long have been developing the game? Who have been the playtesters? Show us an AAR in a nice tabletop and hype us. In short: do what GW does and sell your product as if it is the Second Coming and you can't be happy if you don't own a copy!

Again, their getting there. You've still got just  under a month for them to get the hype going.  As for the contents its 70 models for £40  which works out roughly £59 so nearly £20 saving AND you get all the scenarios you can mine from the rulebook if you dont like the rules.

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mad Scientist
« Reply #98 on: June 24, 2019, 06:04:26 PM »
Again, their getting there. You've still got just  under a month for them to get the hype going.  As for the contents its 70 models for £40  which works out roughly £59 so nearly £20 saving AND you get all the scenarios you can mine from the rulebook if you dont like the rules.

I got that much, but... Look, the chaps at Footsore started wetting the apettite of their customer's base almost 2 months before the game was actually released. They showed us greens from the sculpts of the minis that would go with the game; told us about mechanics; showed cards, tokens and, in general, showed being enthusiastic about their game. Bottom line: Mortal Gods basic sets sold out in less than a week after release.

The feeling we are getting from Warlord is... dunno... subdued? Mind that I am what you can call a regular customer for Warlord. I own several of their games and buy his minis with some regularity. I have nothing against them. It's just the vibe, for the lack of a better word.

Offline commander bernhardt

• Assistant
« Reply #99 on: June 24, 2019, 06:10:06 PM »
I got that much, but... Look, the chaps at Footsore started wetting the apettite of their customer's base almost 2 months before the game was actually released. They showed us greens from the sculpts of the minis that would go with the game; told us about mechanics; showed cards, tokens and, in general, showed being enthusiastic about their game. Bottom line: Mortal Gods basic sets sold out in less than a week after release.

Yeah, Footsore is really good at that. So you can figure how big my dissapointment was after two games of Gangs of Rome.
I'm still not over it

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mad Scientist
« Reply #100 on: June 24, 2019, 06:28:34 PM »
Yeah, Footsore is really good at that. So you can figure how big my dissapointment was after two games of Gangs of Rome.
I'm still not over it

Agreed. My son and I are looking to adapt Mordheim rules.

Offline Manchu

• Mad Scientist
    • Life on Jasoom?
« Reply #101 on: June 24, 2019, 08:08:08 PM »
You guys seem to be referencing the GW of nearly a decade ago. GW today is extremely good at marketing its products and gradually revealing info months before release.

WLG by contrast is almost customer hostile. Take the new Judge Dredd minis - when I asked them why the didnt post preview pics, the response was “this preview is only for con attendees” ... I mean WTF that makes no sense and is just irritating.

Offline jetengine

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #102 on: June 24, 2019, 11:07:18 PM »
You guys seem to be referencing the GW of nearly a decade ago. GW today is extremely good at marketing its products and gradually revealing info months before release.

WLG by contrast is almost customer hostile. Take the new Judge Dredd minis - when I asked them why the didnt post preview pics, the response was “this preview is only for con attendees” ... I mean WTF that makes no sense and is just irritating.

You say it makes no sense when they literally explained it to you.  Not every company is cool with immediately disclosing stuff, it also adds an air of exclusivity to the event. I mean lets say they put them online. Then what ? Their clearly not ready for release. They might not be for a while if Warlord have a release schedule. This may very well be a way to say "Yeah we haven't forgotten about 2000AD".  Either way you'll have people getting irritated waiting for them.

Could their marketing be better ? Sure. But alot of this negativity is unnecessary.

Offline Manchu

• Mad Scientist
    • Life on Jasoom?
« Reply #103 on: June 25, 2019, 04:04:54 AM »
> items not ready for release
> show them at convention attended by over 100,000 people

guy on the internet: “they literally explained it to you”

Offline jetengine

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #104 on: June 25, 2019, 07:10:58 AM »
> items not ready for release
> show them at convention attended by over 100,000 people

guy on the internet: “they literally explained it to you”

They show videogame demos not ready for release to the same number.of people. Either way I'm not a warlord guy, I'm just trying to give reasons as to their marketing scheme
« Last Edit: June 25, 2019, 08:44:41 AM by jetengine »