Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 18, 2024, 01:19:58 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: The "Not" Jutland Ship Collection  (Read 1345 times)

Offline Yarkshire Gamer

• Mad Scientist
  • Yarkshire Gamer
    • Yarkshire Gamer
The "Not" Jutland Ship Collection
« on: June 12, 2019, 05:54:36 PM »

https://yarkshiregamer.blogspot.com/2019/06/the-not-jutland-ship-collection.html

What do you do when you have built and painted all the ships at Jutland ?

Build the ones that weren't there of course !

A selection of ships from both sides who failed to make the big bash mostly through maintenance or crashing into your mate (in the case of Australia).

The bottom pic shows just how far warships came in less than 10 years from the revolution that was Dreadnought to the Super D Queen Elizabeth. As always lots more pics on't blog.

Regards Ken
The Yarkshire Gamer
"Glittering prizes and endless compromises,  shatter the illusion of integrity"
http://yarkshiregamer.blogspot.co.uk

Offline Hobby Services

• Scatterbrained Genius
Re: The "Not" Jutland Ship Collection
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2019, 06:52:07 PM »
Very nice.  And of course you need to paint up the ships that didn't make it to Jutland - how else do you play Alt History scenarios?  For that matter, there are an awful lot of "might have been" designs to keep you busy when you finally run out of ships that actually existed.  As a Yank, I'm rather partial to the Tillman battleships myself.  :)

Offline Admiral Hawke

• Bookworm
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2019, 11:04:05 PM »
Your ships are an inspiration. Thank you for posting them. :-)

I had not realized that the Glorious was quite so large, or that she had metal decks. A ludicrously large hull to carry just four 15-inch guns.

I don't want to feed your addiction, but in addition to Dreadnought, Australia and Queen Elizabeth, two other British Dreadnoughts missed Jutland:
- The fabulously named Emperor of India, sister of the Iron Duke, in dock.
- The newly completed Royal Sovereign, which I suspect was not yet fully worked up.

Then if you are going to have the post-Jutland ships, there were the Resolution and Ramillies, as well as the battlecruisers Renown and Repulse. :-)

I still can't quite believe anyone was mad enough to paint every ship at Jutland! ;-) Very impressive, particularly as you have done them so well.

Offline Yarkshire Gamer

• Mad Scientist
  • Yarkshire Gamer
    • Yarkshire Gamer
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2019, 11:22:14 PM »
Your ships are an inspiration. Thank you for posting them. :-)

I had not realized that the Glorious was quite so large, or that she had metal decks. A ludicrously large hull to carry just four 15-inch guns.

I don't want to feed your addiction, but in addition to Dreadnought, Australia and Queen Elizabeth, two other British Dreadnoughts missed Jutland:
- The fabulously named Emperor of India, sister of the Iron Duke, in dock.
- The newly completed Royal Sovereign, which I suspect was not yet fully worked up.

Then if you are going to have the post-Jutland ships, there were the Resolution and Ramillies, as well as the battlecruisers Renown and Repulse. :-)

I still can't quite believe anyone was mad enough to paint every ship at Jutland! ;-) Very impressive, particularly as you have done them so well.

Some good spots there sometimes you can't see the wood from the trees when you're dealing with so many ships !

That's a few more to feed the addiction with  lol

Regards Ken
The Yarkshire Gamer

Offline jambo1

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2019, 05:15:51 AM »
Really interesting read, been tempted by naval wargaming but have not done anything about it but your blog is very inspirational. :)

Offline Garder

• Librarian
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2019, 09:21:55 AM »
Very interesting. I have never done any World War One naval wargaming but I did do my master thesis on gunnery and fire control in the German navy during World War One.

I always thought an interesting “What if” would be a German night-time surprise attack against the Royal Navy in route to Scapa Flow before war was formally declared. The German fire control system would give the German navy a marked advantage in a night fight.

Obviously there would be clear political and tactical difficulties in setting up such an attack but I think it was one of the Germans few opportunities to achieve a victory over the Royal Navy during the war.

Offline boywundyrx

• Librarian
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2019, 03:42:33 PM »
Thanks for sharing, I'm in the midst of thinking about WWI naval in 1/6000 as a "quickie side project" (all words in that phrase being a lie of course) and this is great inspiration.

Chris