Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 02:07:34 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690823
  • Total Topics: 118354
  • Online Today: 861
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online
Users: 6
Guests: 758
Total: 764

Recent

Author Topic: Review : Victrix Vikings  (Read 12393 times)

Offline nikkobourges

• Librarian
Re: Review : Victrix Vikings
« Reply #15 on: June 26, 2019, 12:39:55 PM »
Hello,

Superb paintjob !!!

Nikko

Offline Ataman

• Librarian
« Reply #16 on: June 29, 2019, 02:39:23 AM »
For the Vikings' heads, are the nasal parts of the helmets connected straight to the nose or are they separated? I'm wondering how feasible it would be to convert those heads (and future Saxon ones) to older style spangenhelms.

I'm curious because one of the previews for the Saxons shows a space between helmet/nose, and I'm curious if this is just a result of CAD crispness or if something similar is present on the released Vikings.

« Last Edit: June 29, 2019, 02:42:01 AM by Ataman »

Offline Nord

• Mad Scientist
    • Nord's Painting Saga
« Reply #17 on: July 30, 2019, 05:21:03 PM »
A couple of the unarmoured vikings painted up.

Offline Neldoreth

• Mastermind
    • An Hour of Wolves and Shattered Shields
« Reply #18 on: August 01, 2019, 04:25:24 PM »
I thought that we'd never see better than those plastic Gripping Beast Vikings to be honest. Those are very good, but these appear to be slightly better. They took that Norse detail to the next level! That being said, it would have been cool if they'd done a period/nationality that hadn't yet been done in plastic... despite that, and despite the 1000+ 28mm Vikings I have painted (and yet unpainted), I picked up some of these figs anyway! Thanks for sharing.

The painted versions are looking very good! Can you share your painting method?

Thanks
n

Offline gamer Mac

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #19 on: August 01, 2019, 05:12:49 PM »
Cracking paint work on those :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-*

Offline The Dozing Dragon

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • The Little Soldier Company
« Reply #20 on: August 01, 2019, 05:45:00 PM »
Great paint jobs on nice minis. I'm not yet convinced on the plastic argument, I always thought plastic would be a lot cheaper than metals but it's not turning out to be the case.

Offline Neldoreth

• Mastermind
    • An Hour of Wolves and Shattered Shields
« Reply #21 on: August 01, 2019, 08:03:05 PM »
Great paint jobs on nice minis. I'm not yet convinced on the plastic argument, I always thought plastic would be a lot cheaper than metals but it's not turning out to be the case.

For Arab/Andalusian infantry I can buy a box of plastic spearmen from GB for 0.55 GBP per figure, but their metal Andalusian spearmen are 1.63 GBP per figure. The metal figs are more than three times the price! The Victrix figs are a bit more expensive at 0.63 GBP per model, but I imagine that will give Gripping Beast the competitive edge. Foundry Vikings are 2 GBP per metal figure.

Mounted Arab plastics are 1.83 GBP per figure, while the metal figs are 3.25 GBP per figure. That's just under twice as expensive for metal figs than plastics.

How much discount were you expecting?

Thanks
n

Offline Nord

• Mad Scientist
    • Nord's Painting Saga
« Reply #22 on: August 01, 2019, 10:36:18 PM »
I thought that we'd never see better than those plastic Gripping Beast Vikings to be honest. Those are very good, but these appear to be slightly better. They took that Norse detail to the next level! That being said, it would have been cool if they'd done a period/nationality that hadn't yet been done in plastic... despite that, and despite the 1000+ 28mm Vikings I have painted (and yet unpainted), I picked up some of these figs anyway! Thanks for sharing.

The painted versions are looking very good! Can you share your painting method?

Thanks
n

I think there's a world of difference between the two sets, but beauty and eye of the beholder and all that. Your maths on the pricing is much better.  :)

Painting method is very straight forward. Prime white, then thin coats of fairly muted colours, with some elementary shading. Then a few select highlights and maybe glazing if required. Nothing radical, keep it simple is my mantra.

More vikings to come, though not victrix.