Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 09:43:20 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: My foray in to Bolt Action - (Update 9-13)  (Read 6513 times)

Offline gibby64

• Mad Scientist
  • Temple of the West
    • Temple of the West
My foray in to Bolt Action - (Update 9-13)
« on: June 13, 2019, 08:35:20 PM »
Recently I got my father into wargaming... Bolt Action along with Rebels and Patriots looked interesting to him... my local game store was running a demo weekend of several WW2 games to celebrate the 75th of D-Day...Here are a few pics from our games. The beach landing were forces of Americans and Brits (us) against some Italians who were reinforced by the germans (them)... second game we were the germans against a Dutch force. We won both games (perhaps they thought we would like the game more if we won), but my father had a great time and bought some Warlord starter sets... the next set of pics are some tanks and an armored car I printed to see what quality i could achieve on my printer with such small details (yes I know the sandbags are horribly oversized, those were made for another game)... it looks great on the table, up close not quite as sharp.... i painted it as a guide for my father to follow as he painted the other stuff I printed for him and the starter set vehicles... it's still missing decals, but I'll have some soon in the mail... not bad for 60 cents of plastic vs. The $30 the warlord kits are demanding.... more pics will come over time...

« Last Edit: September 13, 2019, 06:53:02 PM by gibby64 »
Owner, Temple of the West
www.TempleWest.co

Offline Truscott Trotter

• Mad Scientist
Re: My foray in to Bolt Action -
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2019, 11:04:41 PM »
i think the printed ones came out OK - certainly good enough to use on the tabletop  8)

Offline gibby64

• Mad Scientist
  • Temple of the West
    • Temple of the West
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2019, 11:56:19 PM »
Yah, they aren't show pieces for sure... but to get some units on the table cheap and get going, I think these pass muster... I'm already eyeing those Rubicon models as a gift for christmas!

Offline gibby64

• Mad Scientist
  • Temple of the West
    • Temple of the West
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2019, 06:55:46 PM »
Painted up a Tiger and turned a failed print of a British armored car into a bombed out piece of scatter terrain...... tanks are very different from what I'm used to painting,  but I'm having fun learning... I'm sure my markings aren't at all historical, but it doesn't matter to me. More about looks....

Offline Ultravanillasmurf

• Galactic Brain
    • Ultravanillasmurf
Re: My foray in to Bolt Action - (Update 6-20)
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2019, 09:58:04 PM »
Striking paint job on that Tiger.

Offline gibby64

• Mad Scientist
  • Temple of the West
    • Temple of the West
Re: My foray in to Bolt Action - (Update 6-20)
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2019, 04:25:50 AM »
Appreciate it! Printed up a few new things... Sherman, British armored car, M3 scout, Panzer II...

Offline gibby64

• Mad Scientist
  • Temple of the West
    • Temple of the West
Re: My foray in to Bolt Action - (Update 6-21)
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2019, 10:54:50 PM »
Few more printed items and put together a few more kits... paint is coming! Does anyone know where I could print off cards for the vehicles I'm printing that look like the warlord ones included in the kits?

Offline Lord Raglan

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Abergavenny
Re: My foray in to Bolt Action - (Update 6-23)
« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2019, 11:07:56 PM »
Those 3D printed models look great.

Offline gibby64

• Mad Scientist
  • Temple of the West
    • Temple of the West
« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2019, 11:13:32 PM »
Thanks! Changed some settings since my first batch... these print very differently then my usual fare of fantasy terrain.

Offline Shahbahraz

• Mastermind
    • A Lead Odyssey
« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2019, 07:23:22 AM »
Those actually look pretty good, what are the printer files you are using? (Though I think that jeep is wearing c 1980's Cragar alloys).

:)
Wargaming since the dark ages...

---https://aleadodyssey.blogspot.com/---

Offline Gunner Dunbar

• Mastermind
« Reply #10 on: June 24, 2019, 08:06:55 AM »
Pretty good, can the print lines be sanded?

Offline gibby64

• Mad Scientist
  • Temple of the West
    • Temple of the West
« Reply #12 on: June 24, 2019, 07:01:20 PM »
Those actually look pretty good, what are the printer files you are using? (Though I think that jeep is wearing c 1980's Cragar alloys).

:)

The files are from a guy on Thingiverse.com... they are all free, his user name is TigerAce1945... the stowage is all resin from www.valuegeardetails.com/ .... really nice guy named Steve out in Arizona who makes it all...

Pretty good, can the print lines be sanded?

Yes they can be sanded, but I use a spray filler primer and have found after that and the basecoat the lines really diminish.. I'm almost finished with the paint on one and i'll post it up so you can see the difference.

Is that a future gamer behind the model boxes?

That is the youngest of my 3 boys and you can see the state of my living room after he has his romp... They are all more then ready to get involved in some wars... My oldest is 7 and he's already started in on some basic rules games and loves it.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2019, 07:07:46 PM by gibby64 »

Offline Shahbahraz

• Mastermind
    • A Lead Odyssey
« Reply #13 on: June 24, 2019, 08:14:59 PM »
Thanks for that. I will check it out.

Offline gibby64

• Mad Scientist
  • Temple of the West
    • Temple of the West
« Reply #14 on: July 06, 2019, 06:05:25 PM »
My father has decided that he wants to build all of the allied forces.... so I decided to start working on the Pacific theater with the Japanese... here is my first veteran squad and a MMG.... more to follow... these guys paint up much faster then my Rackham guys!