Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 08:49:18 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Captain Harlock's Hoplites  (Read 28598 times)

Offline Captain Harlock

• Mad Scientist
Re: Captain Harlock's Hoplites
« Reply #150 on: October 16, 2020, 10:07:18 AM »
Terrific stuff - love the logo!

Might you also consider an accessory set of shields and suchlike for tarting up the skellies from Wargames Atlantic?

Anyway, please do keep us posted and good luck with it all.

Oh yes absolutely! Im also considering a set of Boeotian shields (the ones with the double cut away). I also want to make a set of archaic hoplites, with more armour parts. A tradition that fell out of fashion in mainland Greece but kept on in the italian colonies and Etruria. Etruscan hoplites are also very appealing to me. Frankly there are so many inspiring themes that could be done.

Offline Tonhel

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #151 on: October 16, 2020, 01:11:51 PM »
I love it! Put me on the list for a pre-order. I also want the heads! :-*

Oh yes absolutely! Im also considering a set of Boeotian shields (the ones with the double cut away). I also want to make a set of archaic hoplites, with more armour parts. A tradition that fell out of fashion in mainland Greece but kept on in the italian colonies and Etruria. Etruscan hoplites are also very appealing to me. Frankly there are so many inspiring themes that could be done.

This sounds fantastic! I am really looking forward how this range will expand!

Offline Burnin Coal

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #152 on: October 16, 2020, 07:08:53 PM »
 :-* this is all great news Captain....also I love your ethos as much as your logo ....the extra heads are Wow ! :-* ...if there are pre orders please put me down for a set of both
Figures painted 2020 : 100

Offline Captain Harlock

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #153 on: October 16, 2020, 11:39:33 PM »
Im also thinking that maybe in the future I could offer some shield device (episimon) decals. Almost 20 years ago I used to be very active in the modding community of Total War games. I was part of a mode called Hegemonia Total War, which was an almost total conversion of Rome Total war, as an illustrator, skin designer. Our aim was to create a game about ancient greek conflicts, from the persian to the peloponnesian wars, marking almost all the greek cities on the map, each one with its own units and devices. We did and extensive research on city emblems and shield devices and when we could not find solid evidence, we used the iconography of coinage to produce our own plausible devices. In the end the whole endeavour never got beyond the beta stage, but our previews presented most of our graphics and pieces of artwork are still floating in the internet, many times being ripped off by military editions and such  lol
I guess some of you are familiar with images similar in style with this

There are lots and lots more. These were created by me and a fellow Greek illustrator, and I have the  illustrator work files, meanning that I could print high quality decals. I will contact my friend and talk with him about this, but it would be nice to hear if there is actual interest.

Offline Burnin Coal

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #154 on: October 17, 2020, 12:00:09 AM »
  :-* :-* :-* Me me me !  lol .....seriously though those shield designs look fantastic and coinage is a superb reference....hopefully we will all get to benefit from the fruit of your labours

Offline DintheDin

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #155 on: October 17, 2020, 06:43:58 AM »
Many congratulations are not enough for this outstanding job!
You made exceptionally fine graphics, besides the subtle work to minimum detail and the extensive research, I even admire the glaze!
This is an enviable art I'd like to learn!
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates. – Mark Twain, Life on the Mississippi

Offline Tonhel

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #156 on: October 17, 2020, 07:33:35 AM »
I am certainly interested, but it's not so easy to fit a decal on a hoplon. I really like the LBM transfers, but it's not so easy to get them on without to much wrinkles.

Offline Burnin Coal

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #157 on: October 17, 2020, 10:27:11 AM »
...... it's not so easy to fit a decal on a hoplon. I really like the LBM transfers, but it's not so easy to get them on without to much wrinkles.

The trick is to use a scalpel or very sharp blade to carefully slice the small circle of backing paper to the decal into “pie slices” before you soak it...add some decal setting solution when you position it and you will have no wrinkles ;)

Offline Captain Harlock

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #158 on: October 17, 2020, 10:47:59 AM »
I am certainly interested, but it's not so easy to fit a decal on a hoplon. I really like the LBM transfers, but it's not so easy to get them on without to much wrinkles.

Decal solution will do the trick. There are many brands, its a two fluids system, one is the one that helps set the decal and the other is a softener that makes it follow all the crevices and contours.

Caution this apply only to real water transfered decals. Not stickers.

Offline Captain Harlock

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #159 on: October 17, 2020, 10:55:53 AM »
Many congratulations are not enough for this outstanding job!
You made exceptionally fine graphics, besides the subtle work to minimum detail and the extensive research, I even admire the glaze!
This is an enviable art I'd like to learn!

Thank you Dino for your kind words. Actually this is my real job, im a graphic designer and illustrator. Im used Adobe programs, specificaly for this kind of things Photoshop and Illustrator. The real design happens in Illustrator. Its not that hard if you put the hours in. If you are interested in learning, i could point you to some good tutorials.

Offline DintheDin

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #160 on: October 17, 2020, 10:58:41 AM »
Thank you Dino for your kind words. Actually this is my real job, im a graphic designer and illustrator. Im used Adobe programs, specificaly for this kind of things Photoshop and Illustrator. The real design happens in Illustrator. Its not that hard if you put the hours in. If you are interested in learning, i could point you to some good tutorials.

Yes, I would!!! I usually design maps, but I'd like to design flags also. Thank you in advance!

Offline Fremitus Borealis

• Scientist
  • Magister Discipulorum
« Reply #161 on: October 17, 2020, 01:08:46 PM »
Im also thinking that maybe in the future I could offer some shield device (episimon) decals. Almost 20 years ago I used to be very active in the modding community of Total War games. I was part of a mode called Hegemonia Total War, which was an almost total conversion of Rome Total war, as an illustrator, skin designer. Our aim was to create a game about ancient greek conflicts, from the persian to the peloponnesian wars, marking almost all the greek cities on the map, each one with its own units and devices. We did and extensive research on city emblems and shield devices and when we could not find solid evidence, we used the iconography of coinage to produce our own plausible devices. In the end the whole endeavour never got beyond the beta stage, but our previews presented most of our graphics and pieces of artwork are still floating in the internet, many times being ripped off by military editions and such  lol
I guess some of you are familiar with images similar in style with this

There are lots and lots more. These were created by me and a fellow Greek illustrator, and I have the  illustrator work files, meanning that I could print high quality decals. I will contact my friend and talk with him about this, but it would be nice to hear if there is actual interest.

Hmm, I am pretty sure I've seen those kicking around on the internet, as I've been looking for reference images for my own shield transfers :D I wish I had any kind of clue how to make them look that good, but I'm no artist :)
"Nice try, history; better luck next year."

Offline Muzfish4

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #162 on: October 17, 2020, 11:31:13 PM »

Great news - archaic armour woudl be most welcome.

The decals look good. I'm not sure I'd be looking at using them but would definitely consider (and probably relent) as I build up my forces.

You see, I'm not that good with temptation...

Offline Captain Harlock

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #163 on: October 22, 2020, 12:44:12 AM »
now look what the cat dragged in...

Offline Fremitus Borealis

• Scientist
  • Magister Discipulorum
« Reply #164 on: October 22, 2020, 01:15:22 AM »
Very nice! If you extend your talents to Thebans (or the Hellenistic age generally), I have a feeling my digital wallet will be getting a fair bit lighter!  lol