Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 09:12:29 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Palaeo Diet – Eat or be Eaten – The Blood Bath  (Read 1334 times)

Offline Vagabond

• Mastermind
    • Vagabond's Wargaming Blog
Palaeo Diet – Eat or be Eaten – The Blood Bath
« on: June 16, 2019, 07:42:03 PM »
Not only is it quite a while since I contributed to LAF it's also quite a while since I played a game with figure and scenery, as I've just completed a game I thought I would post some extracts from it here.

This is the on going saga of the Rock Ugly Clan their last hunt was to find “wolves who don’t eat you”, and train them into “hounds who eat others”, and they are on the hunt for fresh meat.
Having killed and lived off dried Mammoth meat for a very long time, they tried their hand at more succulent horse meat before their last known escapade, entering a wolves den and stealing their cubs. The idea was to rear them as an aid to hunting, as well as a form of hot water bottle, useful in the long, dark, cold, ice age nights, and then if the hunt went badly they would always be nourishing - roasted. Waste not want not as the old Shaman said, although Yani the new Shaman, or Shawoman, in this unlikely egalitarian clan was not quite so pragmatic.

The Clan had given themselves a strong Clan name, The Rock Clan, but after a series of hunting accidents, the sort where the prey fight back, most of them had suffered a series of disfiguring wounds, which to be honest is better than the alternative - being dead.
However some one on my blog suggested they should be called the Rock Ugly Clan and it sort of stuck.

You will notice the grumpy one - Akoba doesn’t have a hound by his side, he was the only one not to rescue a pup from its evil wolf parents, and as he maintains, they are nothing but trouble. They have to be taken for a walk twice a day, fed regularly or they start to eye you as their next meal, not to mention the plastic bags which you have to carry round and hang on trees as some form of offering to the gods!!!!

The Clan had been forced further south by the onset of global cooling and were looking for fresh succulent meat, the roots and berries they had been living on for the last few days were proving a tiresome and not very enjoyable diet.

The saying - Dogs – Wolves who don’t eat you is not mine, I stole it from someone else but I can’t remember who, if anyone knows who please let me know and I can give him the credit he deserves.

Things were looking up though and they had come across the tracks of a small herd of Mouflon sheep, they had finally caught up to the herd and were making their plans to chase them down. There had been a lot of argument about using the hounds, Akoba obviously favoured just eating them but the others had spent time training them and were convinced they would be a great aid in hunting creatures faster than themselves, and in this primitive world everything worth eating was faster than the Rock Ugly Clan.

There were mammoths

They are being hunted by Monkey Men, something even more primitive than Homo Sapiens, I know that’s hard to believe.

Akoba who’s as smart as a three toed sloth and brave as a cave bear moves towards the advancing mammoths and howls, an old hunter trick, this has the effect of turning the Mother and calf back onto the advancing Monkey Men. The male mammoth halts and gazes malevolently at him.

Some sheep try and swim the river to escape from the hunters, out of the frying pan as the saying goes.

The pack hunter Baboons decide they should have Sabre Tooth Cat for lunch, also not a very good idea.

Mammoth meat for supper, the victory dance begins

The Rock Ugly Clan has finished their slaughter of the herd and knows they will have to drive off the intruders, besides it might mean there is some mammoth meat to be had.

I know it’s tough and not very tasty but it’s better than nuts and berries.

The Rock Ugly Clan led by the belligerent males move towards the Monkey Men.

One of the Monkey Men is victorious over the Clan Shawoman Yani. He beats his chest in triumph.

Just before Dog 1 attacks and tears his throat out.

Another typical day in the prehistoric world known for it's Palaeo Diet.

The full story all 40+ photos are on my blog here, https://vagabondswargamingblog.blogspot.com/2019/06/palaeo-diet-blood-bath.html

The Clans previous adventures are also on the blog - label - Stone Age and I believe on LAF as well, maybe in other adventures because I started with Dino's rather than Mammoths and it's over a year ago.

Well if you got this far - thanks for reading
Cheers

Offline nervisfr

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Ch'ti Ré-Animator
Re: Palaeo Diet – Eat or be Eaten – The Blood Bath
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2019, 03:32:27 PM »
Great Report !

;D

Give me the feeling to go back into Palaeo Diet   o_o
Frenchy Eric, aka Ch'ti Eric or Re-Animator
"J'ai bon caractere mais j'ai le glaive vengeur et le bras seculier"

http://chti-reanimator59.blogspot.fr[

Offline Irregular Wars Nic

• Mad Scientist
    • Visit the Irregular Wars blog:
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2019, 10:19:26 PM »
Fantastic!

Made my night. Thanks   :)

Offline Mad Lord Snapcase

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
  • Snapcase Hall, Much-Piddling, Devon
    • The Life and Times of Mad Lord Snapcase
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2019, 07:23:32 AM »
Great report and a great game. Full of surprises too. I didn't expect the monkey-men! Still the Rock Clan has a feast coming then, mutton, mammoth steaks and monkey brains for afters, yum-yum!

Offline Romark

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2019, 09:10:04 AM »
Great looking game  :)

Offline Engel

• Mastermind
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2019, 08:31:31 AM »
Excellent ! :)