Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 05:08:58 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686609
  • Total Topics: 118113
  • Online Today: 626
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Roman Soldiers manufacturers  (Read 2726 times)

Offline commander bernhardt

• Assistant
Roman Soldiers manufacturers
« on: June 21, 2019, 03:57:00 PM »
I'm looking to get into Broken Legions. In time maybe my warbands can grow into a proper historical army. So I'm wondering which miniature lines are available in 28mm scale.
Below I've listed the companies I allready know but I want to know if there are any others out there.
Also if you know any good Celtic auxiliaries or mercenaries, Cartheginians, Macedonian and successors please let me know.

Gripping Beasts blisters and regiment box - late imperial Romans
has a decent rage of late imperial Romans in it's Saga Line
Also has Succesor Kingdoms, Cartheginians and Iberians

Lucid Eye Publications Blisters - Fantasy
Has some Roman-inspired "legionnaries" in it's Atlantean range.

Victrix Regiments - Republican and Early Imperial
Victrix doesn't need an introduction. If you're looking for anything from the ancients, they've got it.

Warlord Games
- Blisters and Regiments - Late republican and Early Imperial
Propably as well known as Victrix but don't ask me which one is better because I have seen neither of them in the flesh. Sells individual sprues as well.

That's it for me for now. Please feel free to share your experiences with these and other ranges.
Cheers!

Offline Mad Doc Morris

• Mastermind
  • Olympus speaketh?
Re: Roman Soldiers manufacturers
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2019, 04:19:02 PM »
Some more here in the Ancient Board's scale comparison.

Offline Skyven

• Scientist
  • Wargaming on Skye
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2019, 04:26:28 PM »

Offline Inkpaduta

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2019, 05:09:36 PM »
Commander,

Foundry has a very wide and good range of 28mm Roman soldiers from Republic thru Imperial.
Irregular also does Romans but they may be smaller?

Foundy also does Celtic British.

Brigade Models has their line called Celtos. It is Celtic fantasy with over 250 different figures

Alternative Army has Erin:Celtic Myth.

Was just wondering, how do you find the rules for broken Legions? I was all interested in doing Broken Legions but was turned off by the
negative reviews on how slow the game played among other things.

Thanks

• Assistant
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2019, 06:56:33 AM »
Thanks all for the responses.

Mad Doc Morris, that threat is really usefull, shame I missed that. But I'm a bit comfused. Are all those lines so small or are warlord games plastic caesarians just that big?

Ikpaduta, offcourse how could I forget Foundry :) Since I need the romans to compete with my Foundry Myceneans (even though time-wise they re way apart, it's a fantasy game!) i feel silly for not thinking about them :)

I haven't played the game yet, just read the rules and so far I like them. The game mechanics appear to be simple but still challenging enough. A few things weren't clear to me on the first read but a couple of games should clarify that. I've also read about some people use a few house rules to "fix" the game so there"s that.
There is plenty of variety in miracles (spells) and weapons and the warbands are suitably different of each other to create a lot of variety. I've also read that Frostgrave scenarios are easily adapted for this game. All in all I think it fits somewhere between Mordheim (complex rules, lot's of variety) and Frostgrave (simple rules, a bit bland).

Offline Antonio J Carrasco

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mad Scientist
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2019, 07:46:20 AM »
Aventine Miniatures.

Gorgon Studios, for Etruscans.

Offline Mad Doc Morris

• Mastermind
  • Olympus speaketh?
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2019, 09:18:27 AM »
Are all those lines so small or are warlord games plastic caesarians just that big?

Mark Copplestone's sculpts for Foundry's Late Republican Roman range was, literally, the scale model for Warlord's 'Caesarian' plastic sets. So they are a close match. Just can't really mix them with ranges for other periods. But who would do that anyway? ;)

For Early to Mid Republican or 'Polybian' Romans there's also Agema with two plastic sets and a couple of extras in metal. More slender than Victrix and less 'cartoony' than Aventine (sorry @Adam & Keith, love your miniatures!), bit limited in poses and equipment, but very nice. I'll add a comparison shot at some point.

Offline Antonio J Carrasco

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mad Scientist
« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2019, 12:55:44 PM »
Armorum & Aquila Miniatures and Crusader Miniatures also have ranges of Romans (in metal)

Offline Pattus Magnus

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2019, 01:15:13 PM »
Newline Designs have several 28mm Roman ranges. I don’t have any of their Romans, but I do have some ancient Greeks, which are on the small end of the 28mm scale.

Black Tree Designs sell Early Imperial Romans. Those are big fellows.

Also, Relic Miniatures has a fairly extensive range of Polybian Romans. They’re quite nice figures, IMO, with relatively realistic (slim) proportions and crisp details. They also have a range of Greek mythology figures, which overlaps with Roman mythology, of course.

There is certainly no shortage of manufacturers making Romans!

Offline Mad Doc Morris

• Mastermind
  • Olympus speaketh?
« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2019, 01:58:48 PM »
I wrote a series of posts for my – now defunct – painting blog on the history of the Roman centurion. This was the line-up:

Sorry for the bad quality, only retrieved a couple of photos and meanwhile sold the minis.

Not necessarily representative, but left to right, 5th century BCE to 6th century CE, there are: Gorgon, Aventine, Aventine, Crusader, Foundry (Copplestone), Warlord, Foundry (Perry), Armorum & Aquila, Warlord, Musketeer/Footsore, Crusader.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2019, 02:00:33 PM by Mad Doc Morris »

Offline pallard

• Librarian
« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2019, 03:19:15 PM »
Hello
Aventine Miniatures Imperials and Armorum and Aquila are the ranges I would suggest for these rules. The main point is they are more or less directly connected to the Mithra cult, which was introduced in the mediterranean area in the late helenistic period but which saw great extension in the roman empire from the second half of the second century onward. The Aventine range would be quite perfect for the period from Marcus Aurelius (maybe say ageing Trajan) to Septimius Severus (beginning of third century) while A&A are made for the third century up to the Diocletianic recovery. You get the full imperial solar cult linked to the Mithra brotherhood in the latter period, while the former offers already large mithraic influence in the military ranks.
If you want to consider later periods then christianity lurks in the imperial hierarchy and occult competition in on the schedule board with Mithra, more and more considered with hostility, which is still quite in the rules spirit. But if you are not representing a specific pagan imperial faction ( such as troops faithfull to Julian the Great) you'll be fighting for the Lamb. That is if you select the imperial army list.

Offline pallard

• Librarian
« Reply #11 on: June 22, 2019, 03:25:33 PM »
Mad Dog
What an impressive journey into roman officers history! Magnifique!
Philippe

Offline AdamPHayes

• Mad Scientist
    • Wargame Warrior
« Reply #12 on: June 22, 2019, 09:39:14 PM »
1st Corps do a large range of really good Celts / Gauls including some armoured foot who might work well as mercenaries. They also have three ranges of Romans: Early and Late Republicans and Late Imperial Romans.

I did some comparison pics for Punic Wars Romans a while back, which you can find here

Offline Danger Close Miniatures

• Assistant
« Reply #13 on: June 23, 2019, 07:05:30 AM »
I'll second 1st Corps, I have early imperial Roman, British and Slave revolt (Spartacus) armies from them. Lovely figures and the metal is quality stuff.

• Assistant
« Reply #14 on: June 23, 2019, 08:20:37 AM »
Thanks for all the great suggestions. At the moment I'm torn between Aventine, Black Tree Design and Foundry.
They all have models I like more and models I like less, difficult choice :)