Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 24, 2024, 07:34:49 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690474
  • Total Topics: 118333
  • Online Today: 732
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Roman Soldiers manufacturers  (Read 2747 times)

Offline Storm Wolf

• Mad Scientist
Re: Roman Soldiers manufacturers
« Reply #15 on: June 23, 2019, 10:45:19 AM »
I'll second 1st Corps, I have early imperial Roman, British and Slave revolt (Spartacus) armies from them. Lovely figures and the metal is quality stuff.

No, I'm Sparticus!

Sorry couldn't resist lol
Only the insane have strength enough to prosper. Only those who prosper may truly judge what is sane.

Offline Mad Doc Morris

• Mastermind
  • Olympus speaketh?
« Reply #16 on: June 23, 2019, 12:00:15 PM »
At the moment I'm torn between Aventine, Black Tree Design and Foundry. They all have models I like more and models I like less, difficult choice

Aventine offers first-class service, and they may even let you pick just the models you want from a given pack. Also, casts are always crisp and clean, so highly recommended.
In contrast, BTD is rather hit and miss in that regard. Also, their Early Imperial Roman range looks a bit dated in comparison to, say, Aventine. They are also noticeably bigger than Foundry miniatures for the same period (maybe apart from Steve Saleh's clone trooper sculpts). Thus, Aventine and Foundry won't match either.

Despite the scale issue, for nitpickers, the ranges also cover slightly different periods: Aventine has a focus on mid to late 2nd century CE, while Foundry (both Perry and Saleh sculpts) covers the late 1st to early 2nd century, and BTD is rather generic 1st century.
If you're still on the 'Caesarian' track, it should be Foundry all the way.

Offline MartinD

• Bookworm
« Reply #17 on: June 29, 2019, 10:54:11 PM »
Newline Designs have several 28mm Roman ranges. I don’t have any of their Romans, but I do have some ancient Greeks, which are on the small end of the 28mm scale.

I got a sample Roman from them ears ago - I assume they're the same as their current range -and it was on the small side, but was very finely and cleanly cast, well-proportioned and generally nice enough. I think there was limited poses of legionnaires, so that would be a problem for a skirmish game like BL.

The Warlord Roman marines in chainmail are nice dynamic figures, but when I get round to BL I'll probably get those Victrix Romans attacking plastic sets myself.