Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 11:01:24 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Anyone for another 15mm fantasy thread?  (Read 3376 times)

Offline thenamelessdead

• Scientist
  • I've made a huge mistake...
Re: Anyone for another 15mm fantasy thread?
« Reply #15 on: July 03, 2019, 08:08:29 PM »
The 'base' was one half of what had surrounded a complimentary mug. What could be better than combining scenery making with a cup of tea? Just a simple white polystyrene affair with some spackle (see the Terrain Tutor on YouTube) and lashings of paint etc. The entrance is more Styrofoam and is supposed to give the impression of being set in a wall/cliff or whatever. The polystyrene actually came with a hole which made a handy 'fiend pit' or skylight for a dungeon room of some significance. I was pleased with effect of depth that I achieved with the door. Ultimately this piece serves a purely aesthetic purpose but it was fun to play around with what was to hand.

Offline CookAndrewB

• Mastermind
    • 3d designs can be found at Thingiverse
« Reply #16 on: July 05, 2019, 02:29:18 PM »
I shy away from packing foam, but now and again I see something like this and think "you know, that looks pretty darn good. Maybe I ought to..." :D

Good work, all the way around. Can't wait to see more.

Offline thenamelessdead

• Scientist
« Reply #17 on: July 09, 2019, 08:13:46 PM »
Even a seasoned wizard adventurer needs to sample the fresh air from time to time. Unfortunately that can mean having your perambulation interrupted by the undead.

Orcs and trolls also enjoy being outside the confines of the dungeon occasionally.

Some goblins taking their spider for a spin...

It's quite hard to get a decent photo of that troll for some reason, he's actually shaded albeit subtly. The gloss varnish on the smooth areas of the spider seems to be coming across. Undead and spider are from Alternative Armies and the rest from Ral Partha.

The miniatures appear on my home-made board, to which the flock is sticking reasonably well (I'll be honest, it's barely been used, but still). There is a hint of the trees I have put together and I also have some of Alternative Armies' resin walls and buildings undercoated and awaiting the brush. Hopefully I'll have some of that done at some point but expect my progress to be 'leisurely'.

Offline CookAndrewB

• Mastermind
« Reply #18 on: July 09, 2019, 08:19:12 PM »
How big is the "above ground" board?

Offline thenamelessdead

• Scientist
« Reply #19 on: July 10, 2019, 08:21:54 AM »
A local bargain shop does 3'x2' mdf so I got a 9mm sheet of that. The ASoBaH guideline dictates a 2'x2' area for 15mm so the extra foot is useful for variation. It's done according to one of the Terrain Tutor vids on YT. Plenty of watered down pva, spray varnish and hair spray was expended and a bit of still flock comes off. Not sure if that's unavoidable, probably is. It looks ok but if I ever do another one I might get one of those grass sheets and cut and stick.

Offline CookAndrewB

• Mastermind
« Reply #20 on: July 10, 2019, 03:50:53 PM »
Ah, 3x2' MDF would be nice. I've been trying to figure out what my "standard size" game board is for 15mm stuff. For fantasy, I feel like it can be smaller/more compact due to the prevalence of melee combat. For 28mm I have found that 3x3' is my preference. I can get everything I need to get done in that size. As much as 4x6 sounds swell, that has usually just involves a few extra rounds of movement before any of the fun begins.

Can we get a picture of the full board?

Offline DivisMal

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Ghazkull‘s Favorite Brainboy
« Reply #21 on: July 22, 2019, 08:30:22 PM »
Ah, 3x2' MDF would be nice. I've been trying to figure out what my "standard size" game board is for 15mm stuff. For fantasy, I feel like it can be smaller/more compact due to the prevalence of melee combat. For 28mm I have found that 3x3' is my preference. I can get everything I need to get done in that size. As much as 4x6 sounds swell, that has usually just involves a few extra rounds of movement before any of the fun begins.

Can we get a picture of the full board?

I don’t think, there is a standard size for 15mm tabletop wargames. Use a normal dining table, and it’s huge , take the standard 28mm/warhammer board and turn inches to cm, and it’s also great. And if you’re really gonna go for it, take a standard 28mm board and it’s frickin‘ monstrous!!!

Offline CookAndrewB

• Mastermind
« Reply #22 on: July 23, 2019, 05:51:41 PM »
For now, I think I'm going to try and make a go of 1x1' cork tiles as my building surface of choice. Worked fairly well for my Diablo project, and ultimately it is very expandable at 1 tile at a time! I have some large felt rolls I can use too, should I get up the nerve to work out a truly wide open battle!

Offline Jagannath

• Mastermind
    • Blades and Blasters
« Reply #23 on: August 01, 2019, 01:50:01 PM »
I’m a CM in place of inches guy (ahem!) so I regularly play on an 45cm board (which is over a 3x3 in inches). I did go through a phase of working on small but elaborate 30cm boards, but I actually generally prefer mats now with terrain on top, even if they are a bit less spectacular.

Offline Reed

• Mad Scientist
  • Once bought, must be painted.
« Reply #24 on: August 01, 2019, 02:47:05 PM »
I also have a mat, which stores easily and doesn’t take much space.

Offline Khadrin Stonetooth

• Scientist
« Reply #25 on: August 01, 2019, 05:53:11 PM »
The 4 D&D archetypes here too . I hope it's ok to hijack your thread.

« Last Edit: August 01, 2019, 05:57:44 PM by Khadrin Stonetooth »

Offline thenamelessdead

• Scientist
« Reply #26 on: August 01, 2019, 07:08:24 PM »
The 4 D&D archetypes here too . I hope it's ok to hijack your thread.
Hijack away, you're doing more than me to keep it alive! Time has been short recently but I hope to contribute something soon.