Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 04:24:30 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690724
  • Total Topics: 118343
  • Online Today: 947
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Romans and Parthians  (Read 2099 times)

Offline vtsaogames

• Mastermind
    • Corlears Hook Fencibles
Romans and Parthians
« on: June 22, 2019, 05:12:48 PM »
I went to see "The World Between Two Empires" exhibit at the NYC Metropolitan Museum of Art yesterday, a stunner. Tomorrow is the last day. If you are in town, go see it. Among other things, they have a legionary scutum from Dura-Europos, 2nd century. I plan on posting pics on my blog soon.

Needless to say, this has gotten me hankering to add these two armies to my DBA collection. OK, I have a 1/72 Republican Roman army and a 15mm Late Roman army already. The plastic guys have fought against Mongols posing as Parthians, but that's not the same.

So far, my madness has taken the form of wanting to use 15mm figures on bases for the larger scale, that is 60x30mm for foot and 60X40 for mounted. I figure i can get 12 legionaries on a base in two ranks. I suspect I can only get a single rank of 4 on the mounted base. Can anyone with experience help here? Perhaps this fever will pass and I'll settle for an ordinary DBA force, Or go back to my original plan and get Highlanders for Rebels & Patriots.

And one more: does anyone know if the Battle Honours Romans and Parthians are really 15mm? Anthony Barton did make some AB Romans that were huge, nearly 1/72. He sculpted the BH figures earlier.

Edit: here is a link to the blog post about the exhibition https://corlearshookfencibles.blogspot.com/ with some photos.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2019, 06:24:41 PM by vtsaogames »
And the glorious general led the advance
With a glorious swish of his sword and his lance
And a glorious clank of his tin-plated pants. - Dr. Seuss

My blog: http://corlearshookfencibles.blogspot.com/

Offline Condottiere

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mad Scientist
Re: Romans and Parthians
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2019, 07:10:44 PM »
Wish I could go... :(

At least there will be an exhibition book.

Is this the legionary scutum you're referring to?

https://artgallery.yale.edu/collections/objects/5959

If so, it's from the 3rd Century.

If you can, I recommend The Excavations at Dura-Europos conducted by Yale University and the French Academy of Inscriptions and Letters 1928 to 1937. Final Report VII: The Arms and Armour and other Military Equipment , though I'm not sure why the price is so high ATM, as I got mine for less than $20 with postage.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2019, 07:13:09 PM by Condottiere »

Offline AdamPHayes

• Mad Scientist
    • Wargame Warrior
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2019, 10:27:50 PM »
Looks like a great exhibition. Certainly a fascinating time the 3rd Century, you have the end of the Oarthians the emergence of Sassanid Persia and the Palyran bid for their own empire in the east.

Offline vtsaogames

• Mastermind
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2019, 11:36:38 PM »
Yes, that is the scutum, and a better photo than I took.

Offline vtsaogames

• Mastermind
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2019, 06:46:46 PM »
The Khurasan Parthians are singing to me. Perhaps I should tie myself to the mast.

Offline Shahbahraz

• Mastermind
    • A Lead Odyssey
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2019, 08:33:17 AM »
I don't think Battle Honors do Parthians, if they are the AB figures I am thinking of, then they are about 17mm, and beautiful sculpts for early Sasanians (provided the moulds have been maintained). But you will need to do a lot of removing of globe hats.   
Wargaming since the dark ages...

---https://aleadodyssey.blogspot.com/---

Offline Arrigo

• Mastermind
  • errare humanum est, perseverare diabolicum est
    • Forward HQ my new blog where you can laugh at my crappy photos!
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2019, 10:43:48 AM »
I don't think Battle Honors do Parthians, if they are the AB figures I am thinking of, then they are about 17mm, and beautiful sculpts for early Sasanians (provided the moulds have been maintained). But you will need to do a lot of removing of globe hats.

back in the past they were marketed by Battle Honour, but were Antony Barton sculpts. Everyone agreed they were tall in AB style.
"Put Grant straight in"

for pretty tanks and troops: http://forwardhq.blogspot.com

Offline Shahbahraz

• Mastermind
    • A Lead Odyssey
« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2019, 11:10:17 AM »
Yep. Those are the ones marketed in Australia by Eureka. The Romans were slightly taller than the Sasanians, but less noticeable as mostly on foot. There are images on the Eureka site. The Romans were also suitable for Late Republic or Early Imperial, so not a good match for Sasanian.

Offline Whitwort Stormbringer

• Scientist
« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2019, 04:13:52 PM »
I was really disappointed to have missed this exhibit! Nice blog post, though - also feeling a bit inspired to tackle some Parthians, now...

Offline vtsaogames

• Mastermind
« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2019, 08:42:58 PM »

You are right. I had a brain fart, thinking those armored horsemen were Parthians. The big-base idea is fading away, since our group has a number of DBA armies and only a few of them have enough figures for this. Guess we'll stick to big-battle DBA with lots of elements every now and then. But when I get around to acquiring a Sassanid army I'll know where to go.

Offline Shahbahraz

• Mastermind
    • A Lead Odyssey
« Reply #10 on: June 25, 2019, 09:47:48 PM »
Yep, just be prepared with a simple mould to make spangenhelms and other replacement headgear for the 'globes' :-)