Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 08:19:41 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Dogs - How to paint well?  (Read 2108 times)

Offline Ssendam

• Scientist
    • Ssendam's Blog
Dogs - How to paint well?
« on: June 23, 2019, 10:46:40 AM »
Hi All

I've got a coule of the 7TV Attack Dogs, the Alsatian type, but I'l struggling to put a lick of paint on them that looks good.  The whole two tome nature of the fur is just not working for me and I end up with a very un-natural look.

If anyone can spare me a a quick description of how they got decent results I'd be grateful, (or maybe there is a tutorial out there I've missed?).

I'm using Vallejo paints for the most part if that helps.

RE

Ssendam
"I've been a soldier for 12 years - it's my profession.  But if a soldier doesn't want peace in his soul then he's not a soldier any more - he's a killer.  A soldier fights for peace." Nadia Savchenko

Offline Hobgoblin

• Galactic Brain
    • Hobgoblinry
Re: Dogs - How to paint well?
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2019, 01:09:40 PM »
Not sure if these would help or if they're anywhere near the standard you're looking for, but I would use the same techniques on Alsatians that I use on wolves.

After a white undercoat, I wash them in GW's Agrax Earthshade (dark-brown wash) then drybrush them white. When that's done, I apply a thin wash of watery buff or bone paint down the back and sides, and maybe over the paws too. Then I add a slightly narrower band of reddish brown (GW's Mournfang brown, heavily thinned with water) down the back. Finally, I use some watery black paint to create a narrower stripe still down the spine.

Throughout, I refer to photos of real wolves or dogs to see where each of the three colours should go.

It's a very quick technique; once you've done the 'preshading' with the wash and drybrush, it only takes a few minutes to apply the three colours.

Offline Ssendam

• Scientist
    • Ssendam's Blog
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2019, 01:30:49 PM »
Thanks for the advice ... those are very good but probably too 'Wolfy' for my paint job; howoever, I think I might try white/wash prep although I'll use a more sand brown base and see how it goes ...

Offline fred

• Galactic Brain
    • Miniature Gaming
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2019, 10:23:40 PM »

Throughout, I refer to photos of real wolves or dogs to see where each of the three colours should go.

This is key when painting real world animals - I found that my perception of what animals colouration was, was actually quite different to what they do look like. Having some good photos to refer to really helps with shades and patterns - and thanks to google they are super easy to find.

Offline aircav

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • the aircav saga
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2019, 03:25:22 PM »
Not sure if these would help or if they're anywhere near the standard you're looking for, but I would use the same techniques on Alsatians that I use on wolves.

After a white undercoat, I wash them in GW's Agrax Earthshade (dark-brown wash) then drybrush them white. When that's done, I apply a thin wash of watery buff or bone paint down the back and sides, and maybe over the paws too. Then I add a slightly narrower band of reddish brown (GW's Mournfang brown, heavily thinned with water) down the back. Finally, I use some watery black paint to create a narrower stripe still down the spine.

It's a very quick technique; once you've done the 'preshading' with the wash and drybrush, it only takes a few minutes to apply the three colours.

This works a treat, thanks for sharing it  :D :D

Offline FierceKitty

• Mastermind
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2019, 03:12:27 AM »
I'd say before you begin painting a dog, particularly a large one, you should sedate it thoroughly; and a muzzle would be wise too.
The laws of probability do not apply to my dice in wargames or to my finesses in bridge.

Offline Hammers

• Amateur papiermachiéer
  • Elder God
  • Workbench and Pulp Moderator
« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2019, 07:26:31 AM »
I'd say before you begin painting a dog, particularly a large one, you should sedate it thoroughly; and a muzzle would be wise too.

Listen well to this sagely advice and take warning from this hack job:

The white basecoat is shining through on what could otherwise have been a quite nice WWII SS autumn camoflage pattern.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2019, 07:29:54 AM by Hammers »

Offline FierceKitty

• Mastermind
« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2019, 08:27:21 AM »
 lol

But you don't want to mess with those. They're pack hunters, and savage withal.