Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 08:39:13 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686625
  • Total Topics: 118115
  • Online Today: 777
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Mallos Old World (WFB) & Oathmark Project Log  (Read 17151 times)

Offline Mallo

• Librarian
Mallos Old World (WFB) & Oathmark Project Log
« on: June 27, 2019, 01:58:08 PM »
I've returned to WFB from having been playing AoS, having regretfully not gotten to play any 8th edition before. I was active in the hobby during the 8th edition period but due to a severe case of life getting in the way, I never really got to enjoy the hobby in what would otherwise had been my favourite period of warhammer! With more space & time in my life now I intend to correct this!

Though I've mainly only used citadel miniatures for my armies before, this is something else that I intend to correct. I'll be pushing out and away from citadel stuff in the future. Though I have a fairly large collection most of which still needs painting, there are some huge gaps in my collection and rather than keep relying on GW to not keep ditching models or raising prices, I'll be swapping out to some of the other ranges, warlord games & oathmark models espcailly.  We're also thinking of trying out some other games like frostgrave and fitting them in-between our narrative campaigns as part of the same narrative.

I'm in charge of painting up all the armies in our house, and so as too not overload myself (as has often happened before) I'm going to paint them up in small 400-500pt forces and try and get some games in with them before moving on with the next unit. As the only painter in the house it can be a bit daunting- we have a huge collection of unpainted minis (I've been in the hobby since 1989 now and yet to still finish painting a full army for myself!  o_o ) and have been eyeballing several other projects we have always wanted to do, but until now not had the time or space for! Being a bit of a hobby butterfly doesn't help either.

The first army I'll be painting for myself will be Gobbos! Goblins have always been my favourite army and to not refresh them first would be criminal! I'll finalise my list of the first 500pts or so in the next few days and add it in as a checklist for getting it painted! It will be a slow process as I love converting and intend to go to town on my goblins!
The first army my misses is having redone will be her High elves. She's been undecided between wood elves and high elves for days and has finally made her decision this evening! High elves being the most awkward as she's missing some key models, as well as not having any of it already painted or built (unlike the wood elves which we had already started on for AoS!   ::)   ) I've no idea what she intends to take right now, but more than likely it will be the lions of Chrace first!

Sorry for the wordy post! On to the more interesting stuff from here on out:

First off, here is a couple of the old pictures I saved from my old Warseer goblin project log. I was gifted a huge night goblin army back in the late days of 4th edition and while it was passible back then, it's taken a few too many knocks since and the painting quality is far below what I do now. It will be sad to see it stripped down, as it is an irreplaceable gift, but it's in a real sorry state (having survived something like 20+ moves including relocating overseas) and I'd like to see it back on the table, looking as menacing as it did so many years ago! Almost everything from that army is in the process of being stripped and repainted, but I've saved the few pictures for nostalgia.

Goblin Big boss on Wolf:

This was the model I was most pleased off back in the day. Painted around 1999. A super simple conversion and the only time during the 90s I was happy with a paint job! I'm going to be very sad to have to repaint it, but it got badly dinged in the last move. His shield seems to vanish at some point as well!

Snotlings:

Part of the huge night goblin army I was gifted was a huge mass of snotlings (still one of the best sets of models GW ever did!) I had hundreds of them and all the swarm bases had slight conversions and other oddities and squigly beasts going on! It was one of the most special parts of the gift and so when it comes to repainting them all, I am going to try and recreate them exactly as they were!

And on to (brand) new stuff:

Gütz, The green swordsgrot:

My snotling warboss! This is the second attempt at this conversion, I started making him probably back in 1999(ish) but he's been in and out of storage since then and the original body got too smashed up! I'm not much of a fan of sculpting, but I think I did a passable job, hopefully a careful paint job will sort out the issues with my poor sculpting! I've loved the idea of this conversion since I've started him and I'm really pleased to finally have him done and ready for painting!!

« Last Edit: January 19, 2020, 01:04:52 PM by Mallo »

Offline McYellowbelly

• Mad Scientist
    • Terrain Monkey blog
Re: Mallos Old World (WFB) Project Log
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2019, 02:04:24 PM »
Nice work.
Really like the snotling boss conversion
You don't scare me lady, I've been drinking with skeletons080918083132.png

Offline Mason

• Elder God
  • Eternal Butterfly!
    • Blind Beggar Miniatures
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2019, 03:12:08 PM »
Very sensible doing it in manageable chunks, which is something I will be doing myself soon.
I fully know the pitfalls of amassing a horde and not getting them done.

Gotta love those Snotlings (you MUST have a Pump Wagon!) and that boss Grot is brilliant.
Now that is going to be a lovely looking army when finished.
 :-* :-*

Welcome back to the mayhem!
You have certainly chosen the right army to come back too.
 :D

Offline DivisMal

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Ghazkull‘s Favorite Brainboy
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2019, 07:07:53 PM »
I like your snotling boss a lot! WH 8th was too big for me personally. I rather like the crazy over the top 4th and the 6th. What makes 8th stand out for you if I may ask?

Offline Mallo

• Librarian
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2019, 07:58:45 AM »
Nice work.
Really like the snotling boss conversion
Thanks!

Very sensible doing it in manageable chunks, which is something I will be doing myself soon.
I fully know the pitfalls of amassing a horde and not getting them done.

Gotta love those Snotlings (you MUST have a Pump Wagon!) and that boss Grot is brilliant.
Now that is going to be a lovely looking army when finished.
 :-* :-*

Welcome back to the mayhem!
You have certainly chosen the right army to come back too.
Haha yeah I don't expect my plan to survive contact with my painting table, I'm already eyeing up some new conversion for other forces that I said I wouldn't work on until this first 500pts was done!

Got a pump wagon all ready stripped and almost ready to paint. Just need to cast a new wheel to replace one that got lost along the way and it will be good to go!

I like your snotling boss a lot! WH 8th was too big for me personally. I rather like the crazy over the top 4th and the 6th. What makes 8th stand out for you if I may ask?
Thanks!
When we decided to go back to WF, after playing AoS for the last few years, it was a toss up between 6th ed & 8th. While 6th has some amazing content (an insane amount really) it was the one edition I'd never really been involved with during my time with warhammer. I never got to play 8th, but i was involved in the hobby heavily during it's time, so have a fair bit of it in my collection, as well as having collected an awful lot of the large/monster kits from that era. The main deciding factor was that it (the rules) was already built around a lot of these large kits, which I want an excuse to paint. I think 8th got a bad rep, as it was neither space & cost friendly, as well as not being easy to break into as a new player. Cost & space is no longer an issue for me and I have a rather large collection of minis that need painting. Painting is my main part of the hobby so units of 100+ goblins are no longer the hobby bottleneck they once were. 500pt games of 8th play pretty fast, which should mean we can fit a couple of games in during a gaming session. The best thing is that if we find 8th stops working for us, we can always drop back to an earlier edition! One last minor thing is that a I'm a fan of the hardback army books and it would be nice to complete my collection of them, which I couldn't bring myself to do if they wouldn't see any use!

Got stuck into the basing for my first unit of wolf riders. The painted goblin was borrowed from one of my AoS warbands, he might stay or I might replace him outright as I don't want to repaint him, but I'm likely to go with the classic red goblin scheme for my old world gobbos, where my AoS ones have been blue.

I also painted this chap up a little while ago. He's meant to be a mushroom and squig leg seller from the outskirts of Mordheim. He was about to join my AoS warband, but having not gotten around to it yet I had yet to replace his base. Though his original square base still needs painting, I was always quite pleased the how the base turned out, being one of my very early attempts at green stuff, so he will likely be used in a unit in this old world project now, as I didn't want to see him torn apart anyway!

And as one last bonus, this is a bunch of close ups I took of my AoS Grot warband for the miniature close up challenge ( #miniaturecloseup2019 ) earlier this year. There were far too many serious conversations going on about it and far too many people getting very worked up over it, so I injected a bit of snotling humour into the mix!

Offline Mallo

• Librarian
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2019, 11:25:12 AM »
A couple of snotling bases done. I still have to paint the snail squig (I've not been able to prime him or anything else this week, as Irish summer is here, where a few days ago we had weather warnings for torrential rain & floods and now we have warnings for high temps!)

Offline Mallo

• Librarian
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2019, 10:38:08 PM »
This weeks update is that I built the first half of a unit of skeletons, and started putting together a few other undead models I had laying around! I have the first one painted to test the paint scheme but I'll have to wait till tomorrow to get decent photos now.

I also wouldn't normally promote my personal blog in a painting thread, but as my WIP for this week was pretty much only building these skeletons from warlord games (ex wargames factory ones), I put out a wordy post up on my blog on them.

Long story, short: It took a couple of models for me to get the hang off them due to the slight difference in materials but otherwise, they are much better value than the GW skeletons! And turns out the feet & legs are numbered, which I didn't notice when I made the first one, as I Had the sprue upside down and didn't see the numbers! Oops!  :D

https://frostgoblin.blogspot.com/2019/07/skeletons-thousands-of-em.html

Sorry for the blog promotion, I tend to stay clear of that normally. I'll be getting pictures of the painted stuff from this week up asap!

Offline Mallo

• Librarian
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2019, 12:13:49 PM »
Pictures of the painted test skeleton and a couple of goblins. Please forgive the bad freehand around the goblin shield, as it was just for practice and not very good. I've never been very good at freehand and so I'm using spare space when I have it for practice.

I'm not a fan of stark white skeletons but also don't like it when they are too yellow either. It's also a pretty quick paint scheme, mostly done with washes and just a few other colours.

The goblins were given quick paint jobs and I didn't bother with their robes, as I had just wanted to try out some new tufts I had gotten, as well a bunch of new red paints. They can be tided up or redone at a later date.

Offline Mallo

• Librarian
« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2019, 04:34:37 PM »
First four skeletons completed! About 196 left to go!

I've never been very good at batch painting, so forcing myself to finally get the hang of it with these! First one was the test scheme and the next three were done at the same time! As I've spent most of my time painting one model at a time, three was an achievement! I'm going to do another couple of sets of three to get into some sort of pattern with them and then see if I can push the batch to five at a time! But I'm still pretty happy to have done three at once, such a step up from painting individual models!

I might even have enough done in time for using them with the upcoming oathmark rules!

Online OSHIROmodels

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Custom terrain a speciality.
    • Oshiro modelterrain
« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2019, 04:57:48 PM »
Looking good  :)

Good luck with the other 196  lol
cheers

James

https://www.oshiromodels.co.uk/

Twitter account -     @OSHIROmodels
Instagram account - oshiromodels

http://redplanetminiatures.blogspot.co.uk/
http://jimbibblyblog.blogspot.com/

Offline Nord

• Mad Scientist
    • Nord's Painting Saga
« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2019, 04:59:51 PM »
Nice start on your huge backlog - good luck with that. Some nifty painting there.

On gaming, if you wanna go with 8th, go for it. That was the edition that killed the game, the buy-loads-of-models edition that finally killed the golden goose. So mixed memories of it for me. My group have switched to more skirmish style games for various reasons - Saga, Rampant and Erewhon  - we recently tried a game of WHFB and man, it has not aged well. It's so clunky, and frustrating and damn slow compared to the others. I guess my point is that there are other games out there that can give you an Olde Worlde experience that are not WHFB. Warlords of Erewhon in particular has a real old style Warhammer feel to it, not surprising given Mr Priestley is the author.  So maybe look into those, if you have the time in between painting 100's of figures.  ;)

Offline Mallo

• Librarian
« Reply #11 on: July 18, 2019, 10:07:11 AM »
Looking good  :)

Good luck with the other 196  lol
Thanks! I'm going to need it!

Nice start on your huge backlog - good luck with that. Some nifty painting there.

On gaming, if you wanna go with 8th, go for it. That was the edition that killed the game, the buy-loads-of-models edition that finally killed the golden goose. So mixed memories of it for me. My group have switched to more skirmish style games for various reasons - Saga, Rampant and Erewhon  - we recently tried a game of WHFB and man, it has not aged well. It's so clunky, and frustrating and damn slow compared to the others. I guess my point is that there are other games out there that can give you an Olde Worlde experience that are not WHFB. Warlords of Erewhon in particular has a real old style Warhammer feel to it, not surprising given Mr Priestley is the author.  So maybe look into those, if you have the time in between painting 100's of figures.  ;)

Thanks! Yeah, since looking at picking up all the books I'm missing from 8th, I've found a whole host of alternative games to try! I'm going to use one page rules age of fantasy regiments to get some quick games going whilst I'm still working though painting all the armies. Warlords of Erehwon did grab my attention, which is how I ended up buying this skeleton kit. The only reasons I didn't buy the rules when I ordered them was that there are a few armies lists missing I would have liked too see included, it's probably not going to get expanded and that from the battle reports I saw it looked only skirmish sized. I've since seen people play it using larger units/armies, more like 6th edition sized WFB ones. It's not much of an issue if they are not supporting it long term, as that can lead to a game becoming a mess of rules and forced purchases anyway, but it would be cool to know that another set of army lists and some other odds n ends would come in the future.

One game I'm definitely going to be trying out is oathmark. The game sounds like it will be good and kits are brilliant, I've picked up a whole bunch of stuff for it already! They've already announced what the first expansion will be and the base game isn't even out yet! The game sounds like it scales really well- they have said that a single box of 30 minis is enough to get started but the rules support armies going up to hundreds of models on each side!

I'm not sure that 8th killing the game is much of an issue now. It was a terrible game for commercial reasons, but as a home gaming only now, it should be great. Yes, the issue with the size of the game made it a disaster for sales, I dropped the scale/genre for a while because of 8th (the dread of having to paint 2 or more 100+ units of goblins, just get to play) but not having to play the game in the way a community wants the game to be played helps. I can house rule anything I like and their is a finite amount of books to finish collecting- no surprise updates or reboots to invalidate a collection! But as you say, there are a lot of other games with old world compatibility, if I find one we like using more than 8th, then we would happily swap out the rules. I've never been one for rules anyway. I'd just as happily push models around and role dice and make them up as I go, so I'm not as attached to the 8th rules as I once was.

I've been happily playing skirmish games since AoS was released, but getting back to some mass army games is a nice break. Not only is it an excuse to paint up all those armies I Have collected (and not painted enough off yet!) but I have more space than I did ten years ago. I Stuck with small scales & skirmish because of the space and when I moved, out of habit.

I will definitely try WoE though. If only as a way to escape all these skeletons! haha lol

Offline Mason

• Elder God
  • Eternal Butterfly!
    • Blind Beggar Miniatures
« Reply #12 on: July 18, 2019, 12:42:10 PM »
Nice painting on the new additions.
 :-*

I reckon that batch painting is the only way to get anything done when you are looking at large armies.
Although when you get dragged off with 'The Butterfly Effect' into other factions, I fear for your sanity!

This thread is one of the reasons that I am going to delve back into trying to put together a High Elf/Melnibonean army that stalled some time ago now.
I have a new plan for how to achieve this, though, so that will help.
We shall see....
 ::)

Offline Maddoc

• Librarian
« Reply #13 on: July 21, 2019, 06:31:40 AM »
From someone rebooting his collection too, the Warlords of Erehwon stuff is getting new (free) army lists as Rick Priestly gets through them (I think Snakemen were the last one?) but it shouldn't be too hard to adapt existing forces- I've also decided to build forces that focus on 3rd,4th and 6th editions (in that order) for two reasons - they're the ones I used to mostly play (so have some books) and that's when they had majorish changes.

Offline Mallo

• Librarian
« Reply #14 on: November 13, 2019, 03:15:59 PM »
Spent the end of summer dealing with some extra classes and exams I needed to take and had very little free time. But I was working very slowly on all my projects when ever I could steal 5 mins to paint, which really wasn't very often. Hopefully I'll have more time as the winter sets in as I only have a bunch of classes to finish this year, until it all starts again next September- so hopefully I will steam roll through some of this painting backlog by then!

The skeletons got another batch paint completed and I built the rest (finished after I took the photo) for a unit of 20 (along with a unit filler for them) but I've not had an dry evening to undercoat them, so they have remained unpainted.

I painted my first test models for a small (ha!) dwarven force. These are from the oathmark kits and I think they are superb! Not overly designed, they paint up nicely but still have tons of details and loads of extras in the kit! I'm really looking forward to the upcoming rules and the new models that are on the way! I might even completely do away with collecting the rest of the WFB rules I need if oathmark turns out to be as good as early play-testers have suggested they may be!

and I finished building my snotling warlord and finally painted him! Still got a couple of details to do and some work to do on the basing, but he is complete enough to sit inside his unit with out looking shameful and grey!