Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 11:22:54 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Mallos Old World (WFB) & Oathmark Project Log  (Read 17146 times)

Offline Elk101

• Elder God
Re: Mallos Old World (WFB) Project Log
« Reply #15 on: November 13, 2019, 06:41:59 PM »
I really like the basing on those skeletons, it helps make the figures 'pop'. Nice work.

Offline Gallahad

• Scientist
« Reply #16 on: November 14, 2019, 02:50:38 AM »
Nice painting all around, but the skeletons in particular look great.

Offline Mallo

• Librarian
« Reply #17 on: November 22, 2019, 02:26:04 PM »
I really like the basing on those skeletons, it helps make the figures 'pop'. Nice work.

Thanks! I usually only do winter basing but didn't think it would work as well with the undead. I'm pleased with the autumn basing though, the leaf punch is my new favourite hobby toy!

Nice painting all around, but the skeletons in particular look great.
Thanks! The skeletons have come out nice and they are one of the simplest paint schemes I've ever gone for! Mostly a couple browns and tons of agrax earthshade!

-------

Just a small update, but nothing new painted, just a few pictures of some home made terrain that I also did over summer which I'd forgotten to add in the update with the rest of my summer work. I built a hut, based on the old farmyard modelling workshop guide from white dwarf. I made it to match the plastic farm terrain I got a while back, which I need to get some nicer pictures off. It's a tad large compared to the brought buildings, but I don't think I mind. I was pretty happy with it.  I still need to add the steps going up to the door but I wasn't sure if I am going to base it or leave it as it is, so left them off for now. I'd also like to add a couple of details around the door- perhaps some spare empire shields or a couple of torches, but I couldn't decide if it was more of a farm store house or a lived in hut. I thought it might be weird to add shields or flames to a store house!

Also, I put together some terrain for a Mordheim game we were planning for this winter, but had to put off for now. I've just been offered a new job and I won't have the time to put the game on over winter now. I'll keep chipping away at it though when I can, just in case I get a unplanned holiday or anything! This is just some of the scatter terrain I've been building here and there. My freehand on the sign is pretty awful but I keep trying to get better at it and this sort of thing is ideal as I can always bin it if it looks too naff.

Also, I put together this little conversion, based off the rulebook art, in celebration of Mordheims 20th anniversary!

Offline Mason

• Elder God
  • Eternal Butterfly!
    • Blind Beggar Miniatures
« Reply #18 on: November 24, 2019, 12:58:50 PM »
A great selection of additions with a proper 'old school' feel, especially the hut.
Love the Snotling Warlord ( lol) and the Mordheim rat is a nice touch.
 :-*

Offline Mallo

• Librarian
Re: Mallos Old World (WFB) & Oathmark Project Log
« Reply #19 on: December 28, 2019, 12:58:54 PM »
A great selection of additions with a proper 'old school' feel, especially the hut.
Love the Snotling Warlord ( lol) and the Mordheim rat is a nice touch.
 :-*

Thanks! The snotling warlord is a favourite of mine, trouble is I like him so much I need to spend as much time or more on the rest of his unit now as he deserves the best that can be scraped up!  lol

So I finished off the basing for the first few oathmark dwarves and did a test model for my Albion humans, using warlords Celts. I am really enjoying painting these kits and I'm really looking forward to the oathmark rules getting released, as well as all the new minis they have lined up for release next year. I'm very tempted to switch this project over from WFB and pivot to a full blown oathmark campaign.

The dwarf shields have had some minor conversion work done (I added the runes to them) and I've tried to keep the colour schemes for the two warbands similar enough that they work together for when I want to combine them for larger campaign games. I'm likely to add some more detail to the Albion (celts) when I start on them properly, such as tattoos, but left this one kind of plain as to have a base line colour scheme to work from later on.
I've the first of the metal dwarven heroes almost done as well, he just needs basing. I stupidly forgot to order the banner I wanted for this unit when I last placed an order, so I'll have to leave the banner model until I can order it, as I don't know how large it will be and will need to base him to allow for the room for the banner to not mess up the rest of the unit.

« Last Edit: December 29, 2019, 03:05:41 PM by Mallo »

Offline Mallo

• Librarian
« Reply #20 on: January 05, 2020, 12:07:48 PM »
Started a dark elf chariot over the new year. (I'm jumping between projects so I'm able to keep something workable on my desk at all times, so on busy days I still feel I'm making some painting progress on something. It's not efficient, but it does keep me from getting nothing done or losing interest in a unit!)

Offline Mallo

• Librarian
Mallos Old World (WFB) & Oathmark Project Log
« Reply #21 on: January 12, 2020, 07:45:12 PM »
If you happen to be in Ireland, England, Spain or Germany then you may have noticed a lot more ghosts kicking around than usual.

If you find yourself being haunted, then here's a ghostbusting tip.

If you have found yourself with a big pile of chainrasps, thanks to the new mortal realms* magazine but don't want to see them on some circle base, there is an easy way to get them on squares with out needing a huge pile of the old slotta bases and without making them even more fragile than they already. If you try to cut of the tab you are left with next to nothing to glue the ghosts to a base. But the tab alone on a square is bendy and fragile.

I've simply cut a bit of sprue down the centre and chopping a bit off the wider end, then using plastic glue to weld the flattest side to the existing tab. Wait for it to cure then shave the bottom off so you have a nice flat, and much thicker surface ready for glueing. You will need to build the base up with some texture paint or some ready mix, but I'm having to do that with all my oathmark minis anyway so for me they remain consistent, so it's all good. It will add a couple of mm to the ghosts overall height, but I'm also happy with that, I will be using them in place of what ever the heavy undead infantry will be (unless we get a full blown ghost list in oathmark too!)

I'm using up the last of my oathmark plastic bases so I can weld them to them as well, though I intend to switch to MDF for everything else as these plastic ones are just to pricey to use for everything.

*I've mentioned in the other thread, but I don't like advertising the magazine. The company is one of the worst I've ever dealt with and I'm still chasing subs from last year. Whilst issue one is good value and people should grab them, I'd not recommend subbing to them.

Offline Mallo

• Librarian
« Reply #22 on: February 01, 2020, 11:17:57 AM »
Wip of my dwarf Slayer Mini from the most recent (and last  :'( ) Fenris games kickstarter. He's a massive lad compared to the oathmark chaps and he'll need a thicker base to stand on, as he'll need to be pinned as he is just so heavy! He was such a fun model to paint though.

Offline Mallo

• Librarian
« Reply #23 on: April 04, 2020, 10:24:42 AM »
Originally painted up for a mordheim game over christmas that sadly got canned. Thinking of painting the whole set I have now as a unit for oathmark.

Offline Mallo

• Librarian
« Reply #24 on: April 05, 2020, 01:46:50 PM »
Oathmark Heavy Dwarf champion

Painting this one last night. Spare model out of the warlord games starter set I have, so used him to practice my Averland scheme.

Offline powerfrog99

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scientist
« Reply #25 on: April 05, 2020, 05:01:28 PM »
Started a dark elf chariot over the new year. (I'm jumping between projects so I'm able to keep something workable on my desk at all times, so on busy days I still feel I'm making some painting progress on something. It's not efficient, but it does keep me from getting nothing done or losing interest in a unit!)

This is an amazing colour scheme :o :o, I never thought of this combination for a (hopefully living) horse  :)

cheers Thomas
These days it's Wargods and Warhammer Armies Project I am working on !

Check out my gallery here on LAF
http://leadadventureforum.com/index.php?action=gallery;su=user;u=2521

Offline Mallo

• Librarian
« Reply #26 on: April 12, 2020, 04:51:31 PM »
This is an amazing colour scheme :o :o, I never thought of this combination for a (hopefully living) horse  :)

cheers Thomas

Cheers! I had intended to go with black horses but I hate painting black on a good day and I have a LOT of dark elf horses to get through! Definitely living, just touched with a hint of fel magic!

My dwarf oathmark army is growing, very slowly! But I'm doing a model or two for all my armies in-between batch painting ghosts/undead. Painted this dwarf lady, found her rather hard to paint. Nice model but some of the details are not very sharp. Still, shouldn't see the mistakes once shes tucked inside a whole unit.

Offline Thew2

• Bookworm
« Reply #27 on: April 13, 2020, 06:16:27 PM »
Fun stuff! I like her hat. It's not a figure I recognise. Do you know where it comes from?

Offline Mallo

• Librarian
« Reply #28 on: April 14, 2020, 10:50:50 AM »
Fun stuff! I like her hat. It's not a figure I recognise. Do you know where it comes from?

Cheers! Yeah it is a very nice model, I have a few more from the set. Just found the details were quite soft and not as easy to paint. I grabbed her from Fenris games, but I think she is originally from the Bronze age miniature line.

Offline Mallo

• Librarian
« Reply #29 on: April 15, 2020, 12:07:11 PM »
Getting through my undead at a pretty decent speed for me! At this rate I might even have the bulk of the army done before the 2nd oathmark expansion & the undead rules are even released!

First two ranks are done and a third is drying out and waiting basing. I did have a swap around last night though, originally was using the candle stick ghost as the unit champion but think he's been downgraded to a stand-in standard bearer. Added the briar queen from the underworlds game, the model is super fragile and I thought she would be safer inside a unit than trying to use her for anything else.

Once the last rank is done I'll add the grass (I love adding grass & basing, so thought it would be a good thing to leave to get me to paint faster!) and then I have 6 more skeletons to paint and that is both units complete.