Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 10:22:22 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686459
  • Total Topics: 118100
  • Online Today: 811
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Scratching my Star Wars itch.  (Read 9205 times)

Offline gamer Mac

• Galactic Brain
Re: Scratching my Star Wars itch.
« Reply #15 on: July 23, 2019, 08:26:28 AM »
Stunning the effects of the lights is great :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-*

Offline hubbabubba

• Mastermind
« Reply #16 on: July 23, 2019, 11:47:45 AM »
Best version I've seen of that Luke sculpt. Top jorrrrrb.

Online Cubs

• Galactic Brain
  • "I simply cannot survive without beauty ..."
« Reply #17 on: August 10, 2019, 09:48:05 AM »
I have accidentally found a funky way of making great bases for models in space ships and I'm way more excited about this than I should be. I was trying to get a way of making sectioned metal floor plates for some Stormtroopers and Rebel dudes to stand on during in-ship fighting, and had an inspiration to use a plastic lid from a takeaway container (I'm sure I'm far from being the only person who hoards them and finds they come in very useful) cut into shapes with scissors.

When I cut out the inter-locking shapes I wanted I put a nice puddle (making the puddle was all-important) of superglue on the plastic base and arranged the shapes with a small gap between them (to show the join), planning to snip the excess off with nail clippers when dry. BUT! … when I went to do this, I found the glue hadn't adhered to the plastic lid at all and it just pulled away. I went from disappointment to rapturous joy when I saw the amazing result of the glue setting under its plastic piece mold.

Here are some pics of WiP, with added grating texture courtesy of some fabric netting I had (probably left over from an old project, but I think bit of old net curtain would also suffice). The fabric was cut to shape and glued on, then trimmed with small scissors when set and then the plastic pieces were put as previously. To glue the figures on I made sure to key the surface of the feet and where they touch the base, scratching the surface in a cross-hatch with a knife. I love accidental discoveries like this; they're so cool and I can't wait to see how they paint up.

« Last Edit: August 10, 2019, 09:59:47 AM by Cubs »
'Sir John ejaculated explosively, sitting up in his chair.' ... 'The Black Gang'.

Paul Cubbin Miniature Painter

Offline AKULA

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #18 on: August 10, 2019, 09:51:46 AM »
Nice looking bases, but the paint work on Luke in particular is  :-* :-*

Offline Mason

• Elder God
  • Eternal Butterfly!
    • Blind Beggar Miniatures
« Reply #19 on: August 10, 2019, 10:16:12 AM »
That young Jedi chap is stunning, the face especially!
 :-* :-*

And that is a cracking 'find' with the bases.
I shall certainly give that a go and see what occurs.
 :)

Online Cubs

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #20 on: June 28, 2020, 09:15:44 PM »
I know it's been a while, I've been busy! I'm trying to devote a little more time to my Star Wars lovelies, but those Stormtroopers ... yeeesh, they take years off me.

Anyway, as a fun distraction I decided to convert a model from the Legion 'Rebel Commandos' pack. One of them is an alien of some description - bald, with big eyes (the box artwork has it painted blue). I don't know what species it's meant to be, but I don't recall seeing it anywhere in the films, The Mandalorian or Clone Wars cartoons so it's out.

I was going to use a human head from a spare plastic sprue but I decided to convert it to another alien instead. One species we see in the films, The Mandalorian and especially in the Clone Wars are the Twi'leks and they appealed to me. The Rebel body looks more male than female to me (shame, a female option would have been cool) so I've made a male Twi'lek face and head.

I chopped the front part of the original face off (where the nose would be if it had one) down to the bottom lip and built up a nose and mouth with Greenstuff. I tried to give him a sneering snarl expression. Greenstuff is great for pulling around into facial expressions when it has been left for a couple of hours and is firming up but still pliable. The nostrils were shaped by poking a nail up for the hole and then giving it a little push to arch them slightly. The head tails are also Greenstuff with a 50/50 Greenstuff/Milliput mix for the head bumps and filler for the shoulder joins (it gives a smoother finish). I know some Twi'leks seem to have head bumps and some don't, so I did smallish ones on him. I didn't do anything to the eyes, because I can paint in the shape easier than faffing around trying to poke putty into the shape I want. He doesn't have ears yet (just noticed on the photos!) so I'll do them when the rest of the putty is fully set.

Offline Muzfish4

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #21 on: June 29, 2020, 03:55:46 AM »
Terrific conversion!

I think the guy in the trooper set is meant to be a 'Douros' - https://starwars.fandom.com/wiki/Duros#:~:text=The%20Duros%20were%20a%20humanoid,hunter%20during%20the%20Clone%20Wars.

I think one of them appear briefly in the Cantina in A New Hope.

I've painted two Douroses (Douraii?) so far, one with a fetching lilac head (and orange eyes) and his mate with a mid blue head and dark red eyes. Both look okay.

Very interested to see how your Twi'lek turns out.

Offline Blackwolf

• Potato Cup 3 winner
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #22 on: June 29, 2020, 06:35:12 AM »
Ooh,nice! He’ll look great painted up.

Memo; only one stocking leg,and it goes over the face...
May the Wolf  Walk With You
http://greywolf1066.blogspot.com.au/

Painting Clubs Joined: APC,MPC, PPC,PAPC,LPC.

Offline OSHIROmodels

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Custom terrain a speciality.
    • Oshiro modelterrain
« Reply #23 on: June 29, 2020, 06:54:59 AM »
That’s great  8)

How have you found the gs sticking to the material of the figure?
cheers

James

https://www.oshiromodels.co.uk/

Twitter account -     @OSHIROmodels
Instagram account - oshiromodels

http://redplanetminiatures.blogspot.co.uk/
http://jimbibblyblog.blogspot.com/

Online Cubs

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #24 on: June 29, 2020, 08:08:04 AM »
How have you found the gs sticking to the material of the figure?

The models feel a little greasy to me, so I scrub them with soapy water anyway, to help the paint stick. But the GS had help sticking with a little dab of superglue.

I think the guy in the trooper set is meant to be a 'Douros' - https://starwars.fandom.com/wiki/Duros#:~:text=The%20Duros%20were%20a%20humanoid,hunter%20during%20the%20Clone%20Wars.

Ah, now that clears it up, thanks. I do recall Bane now.

Online Cubs

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #25 on: June 29, 2020, 08:09:26 AM »
Memo; only one stocking leg,and it goes over the face...

I notice that some Twi'leks wear stuff on their heads and head tails and some don't. I figured it was just a personal thing and decided not to over-complicate on my first try!

Online Cubs

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #26 on: July 03, 2020, 01:42:24 PM »
An unusually confident-looking Rebel Fleet Trooper takes aim. PEW-PEW-PEW!

Offline gamer Mac

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #27 on: July 03, 2020, 01:46:11 PM »
Cracking paint work :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-*

Offline Andym

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #28 on: July 03, 2020, 02:22:51 PM »
Amazing skin tones! :o

Offline majorsmith