Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 09:03:10 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Prohibition Era Shoot Out  (Read 2134 times)

Offline Sunjester

• Mastermind
Prohibition Era Shoot Out
« on: June 29, 2019, 10:42:56 AM »
I'd arranged to host a 6-player gunfight game at club this week, so I decided on a change from the normal Wild West game and set it on the Canadian border during Prohibition.

Pics and details on the blog https://tringwargames.blogspot.com/2019/06/gunfight-in-snow.html

Offline FifteensAway

• Galactic Brain
Re: Prohibition Era Shoot Out
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2019, 11:38:13 AM »
Hey!  You stole my idea.  :D

Well, sort of.  I've long favored a similar scenario (though not the rival gangs) based on that old Brad Pitt movie with the rum runners up north over the Chicago scene.  I've only just recently acquired enough figures and vehicles for the period and none painted yet with a few sets still on order and one more order for a variety of vehicles coming up shortly - waiting for July and a special sale from the supplier.  But did order some of the Chicago buildings from Blue Moon and might order the balance just to have them.

Looks like a fun game.

Online Easy E

• Mastermind
  • Just some guy who does stuff
    • Blood and Spectacles
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2019, 08:52:19 PM »
I always enjoy a good gangster shoot-out.
Support Blood and Spectacles Publishing:
https://www.patreon.com/Bloodandspectaclespublishing

Offline StoneMtnMinis

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Librarian
  • When in the course of Human Events
    • Stone Mountain Miniatures, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2019, 04:29:36 PM »
@ fifteensaway - Were you going to do it in 15mm or larger?
Dave
Stone Mountain Miniatures, Inc.
www.WargamingMiniatures.com

Sent from my Etch-A-Sketch

Offline StoneMtnMinis

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Librarian
  • When in the course of Human Events
    • Stone Mountain Miniatures, Inc.
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2019, 04:32:23 PM »
Went to the blog and followed the AAR.  You mentioned in comments that youare using home-brew(pun intended) rules.  Any chance of making them available?

Offline Sunjester

• Mastermind
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2019, 09:15:45 PM »
Went to the blog and followed the AAR.  You mentioned in comments that youare using home-brew(pun intended) rules.  Any chance of making them available?
Sorry, I hadn't looked at this for a while. PM me about it.

Offline FifteensAway

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2019, 09:23:14 PM »
The question about doing it in 15 mm - a resounding affirmative.   I now have 18 buildings, over 40 vehicles and 210 figures.  The Blue Moon Hillbilly set will lend itself nicely to the northern border concept I've been toying with.  And even though the buildings I bought are meant to be Chicago, I plan on using a fictional setting for my 'big city' games.  For out of the city games, I have plenty of buildings from my various ranges. 

Offline Sunjester

• Mastermind
« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2019, 05:59:22 AM »
The question about doing it in 15 mm - a resounding affirmative.   I now have 18 buildings, over 40 vehicles and 210 figures.  The Blue Moon Hillbilly set will lend itself nicely to the northern border concept I've been toying with.  And even though the buildings I bought are meant to be Chicago, I plan on using a fictional setting for my 'big city' games.  For out of the city games, I have plenty of buildings from my various ranges.

Sounds great, can't wait to see the result!

Offline Pattus Magnus

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2019, 01:21:51 PM »
I was in vacation last week and visited the site of one of Al Capone’s actual rum- running operations in western Canada - Moose Jaw, Saskatchewan.

Apparently it was a major hub for smuggling, due to it being the northwestern terminus for the SOO rail line and a linking point with the Canadian Pacific line. Add in an ethically pliable city police force, and it made for a home away from home for Mr. Capone. The rum runners actually dug tunnels to connect several downtown buildings, to facilitate moving product and as escape routes, and the tunnels still exist. I took the tour and it was interesting to see how much effort the gang put into their hidey-holes!

So, you could have a historically-inspired scenario set in Moose Jaw that includes secret tunnels between buildings, a downtown that looks like Chicago in the ‘20s, rival gangs and Mounties!
« Last Edit: July 22, 2019, 04:20:44 PM by Pattus Magnus »

Offline Sunjester

• Mastermind
« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2019, 03:50:19 PM »
So tempting!

Offline FifteensAway

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2019, 12:47:21 AM »
Pattus - that sounds grand, now just hook me up some 15 mm mounties figures!   lol

Offline Pattus Magnus

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #11 on: July 23, 2019, 02:53:48 AM »
Fifteens away- A lot of your buildings in your “Gangland” thread would fit right into downtown Moose Jaw, you’re basically set!

Sadly, I have never come across Mounties in 15mm so you would almost certainly have to do some conversions. You could actually get by with generic police figs - since the 1920s the Red Serge jackets have been for dress uniforms only and the daily wear uniform is khaki or light brown with dark blue beeches that have a yellow stripe up the leg.

Still, it would be more fun to have the Mounties in red, even if it is anachronistic! (Heck, maybe they wear red for the raid to help avoid ‘blue on blue’ incidents from being mistaken for crooked local cops...)

Who should we lobby to produce a set or two of Dudley Do-Rights in 15mm?