Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 16, 2024, 11:12:45 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1689347
  • Total Topics: 118275
  • Online Today: 648
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: A Late HYW Wargaming Project (Foot Men-at-Arms update 15/10/2019)  (Read 5758 times)

Offline Alex_Grim

• Student
Hi everyone !

I would like to share with you the beginning (and evolution) of my 28mm Perry miniatures late HYW project for Lion Rampant. I must admit, I haven't found any wargaming project related to the last phase of the Hundred Years War on this forum... So, at least here is one !  ;)

My main focus is the fight for Normandy (1449-1450), culminating with the battle of Formigny (that I may portray when my collection is big enough).

First unit painted is a quite typical English archers one. As you may notice, I went for the longbow arms from the Agincourt kit (much crisper and realistic than in the War of the Roses boxed set imho).
« Last Edit: October 15, 2019, 06:54:16 PM by Alex_Grim »

Offline Norm

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
    • Blog for wargaming in small places
Re: A Late HYW Wargaming Project
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2019, 02:15:34 PM »
really nicely done.

Offline HappyChappy439

• Mastermind
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2019, 02:19:19 PM »
Nice work! Don't see much late-HYW content so this is interesting to see! The Agincourt arms for the WotR bodies is a nice touch too, gives them a real sort of 'transitional' look between the two periods! Keep up the good work.

Offline Charlie_

• Mastermind
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2019, 03:49:19 PM »
Veeeeery nice.... Exquisite painting, your style reminds me a lot of the work of Stuart from this forum.

Very cool choice for subject matter, I'm looking forward to seeing more.

Offline Breazer

• Mad Scientist
    • Breaz Brushes
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2019, 08:06:42 PM »
Great start to a wonderful army!

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2019, 09:03:14 PM »
Those are very nice, well done.

I’m guessing you’ve got the Osprey (Campaign 241) on The Fall of English France by David Nicolle, with Graham Turner’s usual brilliant and evocative colour plates? (If not, I can recommend it :))

Looking forward to seeing this collection grow.

I agree that the plastic HYW longbow arms are something of an improvement on some of the bow arms in the original WOTR set. Mainly because both the longbows and the arms themselves are just that little bit longer. Although that can result in them looking slightly out of place on the stockier WOTR bodies if you’re not careful with the positioning. But I’ve certainly mainly used the HYW arms on all my more recent WOTR longbowmen...

Offline fred

• Galactic Brain
    • Miniature Gaming
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2019, 07:56:51 AM »
A very nice set of figures.

And good to know about the Agincourt arms.

Offline Leman

• Scientist
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2019, 08:39:25 AM »
Very nice indeed. This is a fascinating period to play, my own dabbling being in the Wars of the Roses and the C15th Condottiere in Italy.
If it’s too hard, I can’t do it

Offline Griefbringer

• Scientist
« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2019, 09:12:04 AM »
I’m guessing you’ve got the Osprey (Campaign 241) on The Fall of English France by David Nicolle, with Graham Turner’s usual brilliant and evocative colour plates? (If not, I can recommend it :))

I will second this recommendation, great reading.

As for the figures, keep in mind that you could reasonably use them also for the English expedition of 1475 - which historically did not result in much action, but makes for a great what-if with Bretons, Burgundians, English and French all involved.

As for the limited amount of very late HYW (1449-1453) gaming, it may be due to the majority of the modern English believing that they won the HYW in Agincourt, while many of those who actually know the truth try to ignore it and pretend that the battles of Formigny and Castillon never happened. Getting beaten by the French can be very traumatising, even if it happened in 1450 or 1066 AD.

Offline Alex_Grim

• Student
« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2019, 10:38:43 AM »
Veeeeery nice.... Exquisite painting, your style reminds me a lot of the work of Stuart from this forum.

Very cool choice for subject matter, I'm looking forward to seeing more.

Well, it must be one of the best compliment you could have made to me because I'm a huge fan of Stuart's work and he is quite an inspiration !

Those are very nice, well done.

Looking forward to seeing this collection grow.

I agree that the plastic HYW longbow arms are something of an improvement on some of the bow arms in the original WOTR set. Mainly because both the longbows and the arms themselves are just that little bit longer. Although that can result in them looking slightly out of place on the stockier WOTR bodies if you’re not careful with the positioning. But I’ve certainly mainly used the HYW arms on all my more recent WOTR longbowmen...

I very much thank you Captain. I recall reading your threads on the WOTR kits from Perry and I believe this is what decided me to start my own kitbashing several years ago.

The Fall of English France was of course one of my first reading prior to planning this project (if anyone feel he can recommend any more please do).

I will second this recommendation, great reading.

As for the figures, keep in mind that you could reasonably use them also for the English expedition of 1475 - which historically did not result in much action, but makes for a great what-if with Bretons, Burgundians, English and French all involved.

As for the limited amount of very late HYW (1449-1453) gaming, it may be due to the majority of the modern English believing that they won the HYW in Agincourt, while many of those who actually know the truth try to ignore it and pretend that the battles of Formigny and Castillon never happened. Getting beaten by the French can be very traumatising, even if it happened in 1450 or 1066 AD.

This must be true, and, as a Frenchman, I just couldn't feel doing the Agincourt period  lol

What inspired me was in fact the Perry Twins, back when the French infantry kit was in production, they showed that with some very easy kitbashing with the WOTR parts you could make knights of the 1440-1450 and I just thought 'well... cool ! I just have loads of WOTR untouched plastic sprues !' And I took the idea for all the infantry. But yes, they surely pass the test for 1475 (which is probably not the case for the knights I'm currently assembling with great bascinets and such)

Now I probably should think about the spare Agincourt parts...

Offline Charlie_

• Mastermind
« Reply #10 on: June 30, 2019, 11:32:20 AM »
Your conversion actually got me thinking, and I had a rummage around and put these two together... The one of the left is all from the WOTR kits, the one on the right has had his bow-hand replaced with one from the Agincourt kit (same arms, and the same body). I think it definitely looks better, and probably more realistic.

Offline Alex_Grim

• Student
« Reply #11 on: July 01, 2019, 07:25:44 PM »
Yes Charlie, I think this is working rather well. Actually I thought about changing only the bow hand on future archers in order to portray some with chainmail sleeves that is lacking in the Agincourt kit.

Offline bluewillow

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Bluewillow- Matthew Williamson
« Reply #12 on: July 02, 2019, 07:49:25 PM »
Great work on that group, the Perry figures are excellent and with a little work can be easily adapted

I have early and late French, English and Scot armies under construction, building for Bauge though at the moment

Cheers
Matt
French Wargame Holidays
L'Hotel de Hercé
Mayenne, Pays de la Loire
France
"Walk the battlefield in the morning, Wargame it in the afternoon"©

Offline Alex_Grim

• Student
« Reply #13 on: August 08, 2019, 02:46:10 PM »
I forgot to post my unit based, so here it is with some sceneries  :)
« Last Edit: October 15, 2019, 06:51:35 PM by Alex_Grim »

Offline OSHIROmodels

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Custom terrain a speciality.
    • Oshiro modelterrain
« Reply #14 on: August 08, 2019, 03:08:11 PM »
Nicely done  :)
cheers

James

https://www.oshiromodels.co.uk/