Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 11:55:10 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690713
  • Total Topics: 118343
  • Online Today: 1026
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Initial Thoughts on Citadel Contrast Paints  (Read 5934 times)

Offline Antonio J Carrasco

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mad Scientist
Re: Initial Thoughts on Citadel Contrast Paints
« Reply #30 on: July 12, 2019, 08:55:45 PM »
Of all the new contrast paintings my new favourite is not a paint, but what GW calls a "technical": Contrast Medium. It works beautifully with GW inks, better than plain water as it gives you more control and avoids those ugly stain effects and ink-pools that you got simply using water. It has allowed me to paint the six Russian Crimean War models that came with Wargames Illustrated this month in just a painting session (which, for me, is equivalent to lightspeed painting!). And they came out pretty good given the fact that I use a single block colour, the ink+medium and just a light in the face and hands and in the crossbelts. I think that I have some picture of the test model in my phone... It's not great, but it gives you an idea. From start to finish, it took 15 minutes plus some downtime while I waited for the ink to dry.

Almost forgot! For the face I used one of the new contrast paints (Darkoath Flesh! Check it in GW website!) mixed 3:2 with medium over a block colour of Vallejo Base Flesh. The ink I used for the uniform was Agrax Earthshade mixed 1:1 with medium. I primed the miniature with one of the spray primers they have released in its contrast range (can't remember the name, it is a yellowish-white finish); I like it a lot for the smooth surface it gives; it suits pretty well my painting technique (it was 41º degrees in Madrid when I primed the miniatures but the finished surfaces didn't present the rough finish that usually gives white primers in dry, high temperatures)
« Last Edit: July 12, 2019, 09:06:54 PM by Antonio J Carrasco »

Offline Leman

• Scientist
« Reply #31 on: July 13, 2019, 10:18:54 AM »
some useful tips there Antonio. Many thanks. The Ruskie has come up well.
If it’s too hard, I can’t do it

Offline Bloggard

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #32 on: July 13, 2019, 11:07:12 AM »
the russian looks great.

bit confused tho' - as many of the contrast paints seem like inks to me, and the GW inks you're referring to are their 'washes'?

But - yes, thanks for the tips. Need to play around more with the Medium I guess.

Offline Antonio J Carrasco

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mad Scientist
« Reply #33 on: July 13, 2019, 12:21:51 PM »
the russian looks great.

bit confused tho' - as many of the contrast paints seem like inks to me, and the GW inks you're referring to are their 'washes'?

But - yes, thanks for the tips. Need to play around more with the Medium I guess.

Yep, inks = washes. Sorry! I used generic names! :D

Contrast paints are "washes-like" but with more pigment than regular washes.

Best!