Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 18, 2024, 03:06:36 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1689477
  • Total Topics: 118281
  • Online Today: 568
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: 15mm Parthians: Xyston or Khurasan?  (Read 907 times)

Offline vtsaogames

• Mastermind
    • Corlears Hook Fencibles
15mm Parthians: Xyston or Khurasan?
« on: July 02, 2019, 03:14:10 AM »
Hopefully someone who has seen both will answer. They both look very nice.
This would be for a DBA army, maybe a double DBA army.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2019, 03:16:36 AM by vtsaogames »
And the glorious general led the advance
With a glorious swish of his sword and his lance
And a glorious clank of his tin-plated pants. - Dr. Seuss

My blog: http://corlearshookfencibles.blogspot.com/

Offline Antonio J Carrasco

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mad Scientist
Re: 15mm Parthians: Xyston or Khurasan?
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2019, 10:42:16 AM »
I prefer Xyston, but in the States Khurasan is cheaper and are also great models.

Offline Shahbahraz

• Mastermind
    • A Lead Odyssey
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2019, 12:00:00 PM »
I have found the Khurusan range to be very variable, a result of using different sculptors. So some Khurusan models are bigger, others smaller, some are beautifully sculpted, others, not so much. I haven't sent their Parthians, but I have seen the Xyston ones, and I think these are lovely models.  Another option is Forged in Battle's War and Empire range, but I am not that impressed by the horse barding. Essex aren't bad, but they are Essex.

If I was starting a Parthian army, I would choose Xyston. As has been pointed out, the Khurusan price and shipping is a killer, and I think the Xyston ones look better.
Wargaming since the dark ages...

---https://aleadodyssey.blogspot.com/---

Offline delbruck

• Scientist
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2019, 01:53:47 PM »
The Xyston are larger and more detailed. They are beautiful models. On the other hand, if you are using them for DBA it probably is easier to put four Khurasan cataphracts per base.

Offline vtsaogames

• Mastermind
    • Corlears Hook Fencibles
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2019, 06:28:57 PM »
I am in the states; Khurasan's postage is not an issue. In the future I'm looking at jury duty funds from NY State for serving on a long, complex case - unless the lawyers settle before trial. I don't play in tournaments so fitting 4 cavalry on a base isn't an issue. I'll just mark the bases 4Kn somewhere discrete. Finally, Xyston won't have me ordering too many extra figures. So I guess I'll order their Parthians sent across the pond. Now the only decision is: single or double DBA army?

Thank you gents, for helping me out.

Edit: just checked the postage. 30 pounds minimum, almost $38 just for postage where Khurasan would be $7. That might be the deal breaker. Guess I'll go watch the World Cup game, have a pint and think about it afterwards.

Edit 2: On to the final. Further checking indicates that Xyston require drilling out the hands to accept the spears. With postage they will cost less than 50% more than Khurasan. I guess that settles it. If I were on the other side of the pond, Xyston would likely win. But I ain't.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2019, 02:00:33 AM by vtsaogames »