Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 18, 2024, 09:48:15 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1689506
  • Total Topics: 118282
  • Online Today: 646
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Sarissa Precision Terrain Tile System  (Read 3509 times)

Offline JollyBob

• Galactic Brain
  • I've only had a few ales...
Sarissa Precision Terrain Tile System
« on: July 02, 2019, 11:09:03 AM »
I saw these for the first time at the Phoenix show at the weekend, and am intrigued by the versatility of them. Unfortunately by the time I got a good look at them I was spent up or I would probably have bought a starter pack.

https://sarissa-precision.com/collections/terrain-tile-system

I was wondering if anyone has any direct experience of using them, what general opinions are and particularly how sturdy the locking system is - I can imagine it wearing/snapping with repeated use if one isn't careful...

I appreciate that modular terrain boards aren't a new concept, but to have them ready "jigsawed" and fairly sturdy for a reasonable price seems like a winner to me (because I'm lazy).

My initial thoughts were that keeping the tiles themselves fairly plain except for rivers/roads etc would allow other terrain to be dropped in as needed, so potentially a generic grassland set and a desert/wasteland set could pretty much cover all my potential needs....

Any thoughts?  ???

Offline OSHIROmodels

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Custom terrain a speciality.
    • Oshiro modelterrain
Re: Sarissa Precision Terrain Tile System
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2019, 11:46:49 AM »
Personal opinion is that it's a cheap gimmick and 3mm mdf wouldn't be my first choice for a terrain board base.
cheers

James

https://www.oshiromodels.co.uk/

Twitter account -     @OSHIROmodels
Instagram account - oshiromodels

http://redplanetminiatures.blogspot.co.uk/
http://jimbibblyblog.blogspot.com/

Offline JollyBob

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2019, 12:07:38 PM »
Personal opinion is that it's a cheap gimmick and 3mm mdf wouldn't be my first choice for a terrain board base.

Hmmm. Maybe. I can see it wouldn't be a good option for a large board, but broken down into 20cm squares....? I guess if you were going the whole way and mounting buildings etc on them it would help stop any warping?

I can see the benefits of modularity and storage, but would it be as easy to do it myself with some thicker board from a builder's merchant? Short answer is no, cos I can't cut in straight lines, never mind make them all link up neatly.

I dunno, quite conflicted by this... :?

Offline robh

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Spanish offworld colonies
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2019, 01:59:33 PM »
I think the advantage of modular tiles is the ability to inset features such as rivers, gullies, canals etc, which you can't do with these. Without being able to go 3D with the terrain what is the benefit over a good terrain cloth or mat?

For a modular system I think the "Terraformers" boxes are a much better design.
https://wargamesbuildings.co.uk/epages/950003459.sf/en_GB/?ObjectPath=/Shops/950003459/Categories/TerraFormers

Although that said I'm still a huge fan of the perennial TSS flocked polystyrene tiles, especially now that they are so willing to do custom designs.
http://totalsystemscenic.com

Offline Codsticker

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • Kodsticklerburg: A Mordheim project
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2019, 04:17:29 AM »
I agree with robh; if I was going to go with 12" tiles I would use the Sally4th system.

Offline levied troop

• Mastermind
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2019, 07:07:15 AM »
I can see the benefits of modularity and storage, but would it be as easy to do it myself with some thicker board from a builder's merchant? Short answer is no, cos I can't cut in straight lines, never mind make them all link up neatly.

Many builders merchants will cut to size for you.

3mm MDF doesn’t seem strong enough to me and the jigsaw element just means more lines in the board to try and disguise.
The League of Gentlemen Anti Alchemists
(We Turn Gold into Lead)

Offline Daeothar

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
  • D1-Games: a DWAN Corporate initiative
    • 1999legacy.com
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2019, 08:00:29 AM »
Luke over at Luke's APS (Geek Gaming) has a series of vids out now detailing the, ehm, detailing of Anomalia Games' modular tiles, and they're looking very good.

I'm not too sure about the survivability of the MDF connector bits after extended use (I would much prefer Sally4th's magnet system) , but the hills and rivers look pretty nice after a good terrain treatment.

They're also pretty lightweight and easily storeable although admittedly they would take up more room than flat pieces of MDF. But then; so would Sally4th's ones.

And I too am not convinced by Sarrissa's choice of material; 3mm MDF is not exactly warp-proof. I think 3mm plywood would already be an improvement in that regard. I get the choice; it's still pretty light weight, but when you store them stacked on top of each other, and there's even one with just a bit of relief on the tile, like rocks, the ones on top will warp for sure...
Miniatures you say? Well I too, like to live dangerously...
Find a Way, or make one!

Offline JollyBob

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2019, 09:37:40 AM »
I get the choice; it's still pretty light weight, but when you store them stacked on top of each other, and there's even one with just a bit of relief on the tile, like rocks, the ones on top will warp for sure...

Ah, but that's how they get you to buy the storage rack that you can slide them into like cafeteria trays!  lol

Thanks for all the comments guys, plenty of valid concerns to mull over.

As I'd really be looking at something that could be used for quick skirmish games with the Boy, I am not planning to create anything lifelike like Capt. Blood, JimBibbly or Silent Invader would knock out, more some textured boardgame tiles, if that makes sense. Keeping them relatively low profile and with separate buildings to swap out/drop in might work.

The small pack would get you a 2x2 board, that wouldn't break the bank and give me an idea of how far I could take it...

Oh for god's sake! Somebody make my decisions for me!  ;D

Offline OSHIROmodels

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Custom terrain a speciality.
    • Oshiro modelterrain
« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2019, 10:34:14 AM »
Go to B&Q and get some 6mm (minimum) and get them to cut it to size for you  :D

Offline Daeothar

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
  • D1-Games: a DWAN Corporate initiative
    • 1999legacy.com
« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2019, 11:14:36 AM »
Ah, but that's how they get you to buy the storage rack that you can slide them into like cafeteria trays!  lol

Yup; and happily hanging like that, they wouldn't warp at all  >:D

Go to B&Q and get some 6mm (minimum) and get them to cut it to size for you  :D

That.

Or alternatively, there are many laser cutting services these days that can do it for you with (laser) precision...  ;)

Offline fred

• Galactic Brain
    • Miniature Gaming
« Reply #10 on: July 03, 2019, 10:20:31 PM »
I've looked at these a couple of times, and always thought they are quite small. Perhaps that is an advantage as you can arrange them in more options. But it feels like a lot of individual pieces to texture and build up on.

They do seem thin at 3mm. The wavy edges should help loose the edges; straight lines stand out. This is one of the big problems with the TSS polystyrene tiles, they just don't sit closely enough together, and you have to work hard to hide the gaps.

The Sally Forth ones which have depth seem a good choice as you can build some depth to the pieces. If you are just making flat tiles, I'd probably rather go for a cloth, with various terrain elements to go on it.

With any of the tiles the volume need to store them the needs to be considered.

Offline tin shed gamer

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #11 on: July 03, 2019, 11:49:57 PM »
I'm of a similar mind . This isn't a good product either as a concept or in price .
If you take an impartial and objective look at the Village board its little more than five field's , three series of buildings a road and a stream.
Each one of these elements are easily placed on a base board that sits on a table independent of any feature be it fields roads rivers or houses.and its the most common method in the hobby.
All Sarissa are doing is charging you £35 for nine wiggle edge figure bases.
I'd put money on James being able to replicate this lay out from his own scenery collection(I'm in no way expecting him too just to prove my point.) Just by pushing each element  base to base with the others
Nope its all hype .and secondary sales £25 for a canteen style tray shelf to keep them in. ::)
But if your set on trying a modular system then a less complex option than the Sally 4th system.
Would be the TT combat version 16 1'×1' braced tiles so a 4ft table for the same price as the Sarissa. 3ft jigsaw table.

Offline JollyBob

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #12 on: July 04, 2019, 10:07:18 AM »
Oh, thanks for that, another option to mull over. I hadn't realised that TT did game boards, but looking at their website I am quite taken by some of them.

I think you're right, the TT ones with the supported sides would be sturdier, I wonder if the MDF is thick enough to take a small magnet to keep them together...?

Offline Brandlin

• Mad Scientist
    • Brandlin
« Reply #13 on: July 04, 2019, 10:34:57 AM »
I think the original of these tile systems is Back-to-base-ix Battleframe 5000

An MDF frame held together with magnets, but where the Sally Fourth system uses a foam core the Bbattleframe 5000 has an MDF top.  Standard tiles are 300x300 with smaller tiles 150 and 100. They also come in a range of heights and styles with hills and cliffs, roads and rivers etc.

Prices are comparable. 300 tile fro battleframe is $9.95 (£5.55) where sally fourth is £7.50 (but you need to buy foam).

Both systems use magnets for connection and orientation. More magnets in the battleframe which means alignment and mixing in the smaller tiles is easier.

Problem is Back-to-base-ix is in Australia, so shipping elsewhere can be a killer...

Offline voltan

• Mastermind
« Reply #14 on: July 04, 2019, 10:51:02 AM »
In the dim and distant past when I did something similar to this, I used 60 thou plasticard, bought big sheets of it and cut to size based the squares on the old ufo enemy unknown games. Had some bizarre idea about the terrain being revealed, square by square, as the game went on. Anyway, never used it for anything, it's all sat in a box somewhere.
Yvan eht nioj!