Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 05:22:48 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686609
  • Total Topics: 118113
  • Online Today: 626
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Dracula America - New rules proposals  (Read 1670 times)

Offline LeRatierBretonnien

• Assistant
Dracula America - New rules proposals
« on: July 03, 2019, 01:50:12 PM »
Hil all,

I started this thread because i think it does not already exist ( correct me if i am wrong:)).

After more than one year of gaming with DA (oneshot and campaigns), here are the rules modifications we use/propose :
 - During a campaign, the winner earns 5D6$, with a minimum of 14$. In our opinion, this gives more value to a victory.
 - During a campaign, the looser(s) earns 4D6$, with a minimum of 8$. This mitigate the loss of models and ensure to get at least 8 $ to buy some new guys.
 - The recruitment table is shifted, ensuring that you can always recruit at least 1 Novice (ie a scores of 1 -> 1 novice, 2 -> 2 novices, etc.). This ensure that even if you loose many models, you can always recruit 1.
 - The Salem Sisterhood limits (ie 3" and LOS for witches and 2" and LOS for the guardian) are modified : 4" and no LOS, for witches and Guardian. The previous limits are too much hard to maintain during games, IMHO.

In addition, i maintain a French blog about the game here : http://www.lahiette.com/leratierbretonnien/wargames-figurines/draculas-america/

Do not hesitate to comment :)

LeRatier,
« Last Edit: July 22, 2019, 04:53:57 PM by LeRatierBretonnien »

• Assistant
Re: Dracula America - New rules proposals
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2019, 04:53:20 PM »
Update !

Offline fred

• Galactic Brain
    • Miniature Gaming
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2019, 06:14:13 PM »
Some interesting suggestions.

I’ve not played the Salem witches yet, but having the two different distances seems a little fiddly anyway.

A bit more money would be useful, it can be quite hard to add to a gang after losses. Although one of the gangs in our games has stayed strong with few figures, who have all done well with experience and advances. But I suspect if they hadn’t got the advances they would have been useless.

The campaign rules are pretty brutal - with lots of injured members in my posses!

Offline LeadAsbestos

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • When the Hurlyburly's Done...
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2019, 08:06:02 PM »
No, I would disagree. I think they play pretty well already, at least the advancement/earnings. Salem is 1-0 in our campaign, so we will see how it goes.

• Assistant
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2019, 09:50:31 AM »
OK :) !

We did this because during our plays, we encountered a few times the following situation :
 - the player looses, with 1 to 3 deaths
 - he gets only 5-6$ of income
 - he cannot recruit (ie 1 with the dice for recruitement

This is a bit too much, and when your party is facing this situation, your party is more or less out for the rest of the campaign. So as we think that everybody must have fun around the table, we decided to slightly modify the rules :=)

Offline Chuck1372

• Librarian
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2019, 02:20:19 AM »
OK :) !

We did this because during our plays, we encountered a few times the following situation :
 - the player looses, with 1 to 3 deaths
 - he gets only 5-6$ of income
 - he cannot recruit (ie 1 with the dice for recruitement

This is a bit too much, and when your party is facing this situation, your party is more or less out for the rest of the campaign. So as we think that everybody must have fun around the table, we decided to slightly modify the rules :=)

Luck tends to swing both ways.  Eventually the campaign leader will have a rough game and end up on the short side of the stick. 

In the case you mention that player should voluntarily route as fast as possible and hope for few casualties and a decent recruitment roll the next game.  I played games of Mordhiem where I took it on the chops one game.  Saved my money from that game then routed as fast as I could during the next game to mitigate losses and pooled my resources from the two games to get back into things.

• Assistant
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2019, 08:50:40 PM »
Yes, this is a solution. But what we really want to limitate here is the fact that you have a 4 "punishements" path :
  • the player looses : punishement 1, but he is more or less responsible by his actions during the game, so this is fine
  • some of its models die : punishement 2, but he is more or less responsible by his actions during the game, so this is fine (ie same as above)
  • he does not get enough money : punishement 3, random
  • he is not allowed to recruit : punishement 4, random

So this rule is to mitigate the 2 last random points : with that modification, the player still looses, of course, but cannot be "punished" again due to pure roll dice.

And regarding the winner, it gives more value to a victory.

That's all !