Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 10:23:32 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1689646
  • Total Topics: 118288
  • Online Today: 681
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: First game using Lasalle - my thoughts  (Read 1807 times)

Offline vtsaogames

• Mastermind
    • Corlears Hook Fencibles
Re: First game using Lasalle - my thoughts
« Reply #15 on: July 09, 2019, 09:32:25 PM »
As someone who deeply resists learning new rule systems and tries hard to limit the number of rule systems I have to think around, what motivates you to try new rules? By new I mean different to the ones you've been using.

Is it curiosity or was there something about what you used before which left you wanting? Or is it a club thing and you need to catch up to the trends?

My general approach (for context) is most likely framed by the number of armies I have (quite a few) across many different periods (Persian wars to 1990s).

I am a rules junkie, always on the prowl for a new and hopefully elegant idea, in search of the "perfect" rules which of course don't exist. Trends don't interest me much. New, bright and shiny (and simple) does. I faintly hope for ideas to grace the set of rules that I'll likely never design. Our club's armies go from Alexander to Zhukov. The club members have in the past threatened to arrive with torches and pitchforks if I keep springing new rules on them. I have been restrained the past 4 years, mostly Bloody Big Battles with a brief sortie into Muskets and Tomahawks and then lately Rebels & Patriots. I am considering a return into DBA. Our newer members have not played this. But I still buy and read new rule sets, can't help myself.
And the glorious general led the advance
With a glorious swish of his sword and his lance
And a glorious clank of his tin-plated pants. - Dr. Seuss

My blog: http://corlearshookfencibles.blogspot.com/