Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 20, 2024, 11:58:57 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1689800
  • Total Topics: 118296
  • Online Today: 798
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Banished to the attic, I can start a new hobby room from scratch. Any ideas?  (Read 1146 times)

Offline Gunbird

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • With miniatures, anything is possible!
    • 20mm and then some
Current room is scheduled to be handed over to one of my daughters in a year or so, so looking for ideas/examples from other gamers. Current room is 3x3 metres square, one large window facing North. Attic should be completely sorted in a few months time, and a lot of stuff sold off to fund the new hobby/office room.

Ideally I'd like to have windows installed in the roof and replace the 1970's insulation, as there is currently one single window the size of a postage stamp and it gets really really hot up there so I would like airflow and daylight instead of melted figures and paint cured in the pot. Removing the tatty carpet with smooth laminate so I can I get rid of the carpet monster would be nice too. Standing room is roughly 3.5 by 4 metres. With baywindows the 4 metres can be extended a bit. Of course, a moneytree must be found first, as baywindows don't grow on trees.

Other then that, how shall I tackle the slanted walls? How did you guys work around the loss of vertical wallspace? Most of my current cabinets won't fit. My 40x60 stowage cases I intend to store underneath a new open plan 4x6 gaming table on wheels, so no storage space is lost. But other than that......

Who is Gunbird? Johan van Ooij, Dutch, Mercenary Gamer, no longer mobile and happy to live life while it lasts >> http://20mmandthensome.blogspot.com/

Offline armchairgeneral

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
I suppose like most people in converted attics you just have go with half height free standing storage units and live with the wasted space behind or if your budget or skills permit go for fitted cupboards.

I am about to move, in a few weeks, to a new house where I will have my own dedicated man cave for the first time and have a similar issue on one wall. Fortunately there are fitted half height cupboards but I need to figure out how to fit shelves in them to make most of the depth towards the bottom.

Offline vodkafan

• Scatterbrained Genius
Current room is scheduled to be handed over to one of my daughters in a year or so, so looking for ideas/examples from other gamers. Current room is 3x3 metres square, one large window facing North. Attic should be completely sorted in a few months time, and a lot of stuff sold off to fund the new hobby/office room.

Ideally I'd like to have windows installed in the roof and replace the 1970's insulation, as there is currently one single window the size of a postage stamp and it gets really really hot up there so I would like airflow and daylight instead of melted figures and paint cured in the pot. Removing the tatty carpet with smooth laminate so I can I get rid of the carpet monster would be nice too. Standing room is roughly 3.5 by 4 metres. With baywindows the 4 metres can be extended a bit. Of course, a moneytree must be found first, as baywindows don't grow on trees.

Other then that, how shall I tackle the slanted walls? How did you guys work around the loss of vertical wallspace? Most of my current cabinets won't fit. My 40x60 stowage cases I intend to store underneath a new open plan 4x6 gaming table on wheels, so no storage space is lost. But other than that......

This is great news Johan, It sounds like you have a few challenges to deal with but I am sure you will be up to the task!
I am going to build a wargames army, a big beautiful wargames army, and Mexico is going to pay for it.

2019 Painting Challenge :
figures bought: 500+
figures painted: 57
9 vehicles painted
4 terrain pieces scratchbuilt

Offline robh

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Spanish offworld colonies
I have done several loft/attic conversions into games rooms and if you have a finished floor in situ you are already beyond the most difficult aspect. Most people seem unaware floor joists and ceiling joists are not the same thing! Check your building regulations before doing anything visible though.

Velox roof windows are great and sized specifically to fit between the roof beams so installation is straightforward (not really a DIY task though) and a far cheaper option than building a bay. You only need one side done, a throughflow of air can be achieved with vents in the soffits/eaves on the opposite slope. Overheating is certainly an issue but reflective ceiling panels are available to limit the radiant heat from the roof, make sure you maximise the air gap between the roof and the ceiling. Don't put roof windows on a south facing slope unless you want to end up with a sauna room (plus the sunlight is deadly to scenery/terrain mats etc)

If you plan your storage well you need not lose anything due to the slope. Make your front shelves/cupboards moveable and terrain (the bulkiest aspect of this hobby) can be boxed and stored behind very easily.

Do you have stairs or will it be a ladder entry?

Online Cubs

• Galactic Brain
  • "I simply cannot survive without beauty ..."
I put my attic in the cellar to save space.
'Sir John ejaculated explosively, sitting up in his chair.' ... 'The Black Gang'.

Paul Cubbin Miniature Painter

Offline Gunbird

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • With miniatures, anything is possible!
    • 20mm and then some
@vodkafan: well, the hands are improving veeeery slowly, so who knows. Now it is mostly a case of fitting the budget to meet my needs, and selling everything unwanted to spike those fund.  As usual, most stuff will be sourced 2nd hand if possible, though I really really don't want to skimp out on daylight and fresh air.

@robh: Fortunately our house is a bit more recent (well, 1972) so all the floors are concrete. The attic one as well, just a bit rough, but we have a friend that works for a company that polishes concrete floors and he already offered to help out for the cost polishing material and a few free meals. After that, soundproofing the floor and dropping in laminate is the plan.

After that taking out the 70's insulation and replacing it with more up to code stuff, after the windows have been put in. Our roof faces East for the morning sun op to 11-ish or so, and West for the late afternoon, and the rest of the row of houses takes the brunt of the sun. Still gets pretty hot atm but with the lack of insulation and hardly any ventilation that is hardly surprising.. It's a pity that adding in a few windows that tilt on the top instead of the middle costs about as much as a baywindow of equal width here, but we are looking into options and offers during the holiday. I'm not too worried about direct sunlight as all of my stuff is always packed up in drawers and boxes and only comes out for games, and the new room doesn't really have any room for a display other then for the few helmets I own that I do want to display.

We have a fixed stairway with a door on the first floor so the kids won't come up (yet), and I want to put in a door to the room in the attic as well...but those I can fit on my own using the correct size from the reclamation yard, and there is no rush for that. That just leaves the electrics, but I'm qualified for that and I'll invest in some LED panels.

@Cubs. Thx :) We don't have a cellar here, our village is built on a swamp (and no, I'm not Shrek)

Offline grant

• Galactic Brain
Things are so different in Europe!

Sounds like you have a dream opportunity that just wouldn’t happen here. Enjoy to the fullest.  :)
It’s a beautiful thing, the destruction of words - Orwell, 1984

Offline robh

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Spanish offworld colonies
Sounds like you are pretty well sorted Johan, should be a great hobby den when you are done.