Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 05:21:56 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: German trucks in Normandy - flat dunkelgelb or camo?  (Read 3260 times)

Offline Etranger

• Mad Scientist
Re: German trucks in Normandy - flat dunkelgelb or camo?
« Reply #15 on: July 11, 2019, 06:37:23 AM »
I do still regularly use my copy!
"It's only a flesh wound...."

Offline MartinR

• Scientist
    • The games we play
« Reply #16 on: July 11, 2019, 07:17:40 AM »
In principle the vast majority of vehicles were camo'd (in NWE at least), although their were exceptions, eg airfield defence FT17 were still apparently grey. The most unusual scheme was plain dunkelgelb, although Pz Ko Mielke  at Arnhem were just plain. In the east, plain dunkelgelb was more common.

Being a cheapskate, a lot of my Germans get ride in muddy, dusty grey lorries, because they do for the whole war.  My horse carts are an even more indeterminate greenish, brownish, greys tone so they can fight equally well for the Germans or Russians.
"Mistakes in the initial deployment cannot be rectified" Helmuth von Moltke

Offline Cypher226

• Mad Scientist
    • Friendly Fire
« Reply #17 on: July 12, 2019, 07:22:35 AM »
Thanks again for the insights, folks. I'm specifically doing these guys for NW Europe, so I'll go dunkelgelb and green I think  :D

Offline Jemima Fawr

• Mastermind
    • Jemima Fawr's Miniature Wargames Blog
« Reply #18 on: July 12, 2019, 11:34:07 AM »
Oh nice photo of the horse-cart.  Not seen that before.

Martin, re Panzer-Kompanie 'Mielke' - all the photos I've seen of them at Arnhem and Oosterhout clearly show camo on their Panzer IIIs.  Agree re Luftwaffe defence units - they seem to have been 'behind the curve'.  There was an ex-Luftwaffe FT-17 at Overloon in the 1980s that appeared to be still in its original (dark grey) paint and must presumably have ended the war in that colour scheme.
Suffering from insomnia?  Too much excitement in your life?  Jemima Fawr's Miniature Wargames Blog might be just the solution you've been looking for: www.jemimafawr.co.uk

Offline FreakyFenton

• Mastermind
« Reply #19 on: July 12, 2019, 12:29:56 PM »
You can get away with a lot. Looking in my Panzer Colours books that is one to three, it is noted that grey got less and less common, however, since the Wehrmacht used what it could get, you had panzer grey and dunkelgelb trucks. Some at rare times olive green. Others a mix of dunkelgelb and panzer grey and the list continues.

I always recommend to go with a camo scheme you like, maybe with a reference photo in mind, and execute on it.
"No human being would stack books like -that-!" -Dr. Peter Venkman

Offline Calimero

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #20 on: July 12, 2019, 03:14:35 PM »
While there might still be the odd one in grey (they do occasionally appear in photos of captured vehicle parks among serried ranks of camouflaged vehicles), the VAST majority were painted dark yellow, with red-brown and olive-green camo applied with varying degrees of success.  The Germans even camouflaged their horse-drawn carts...

Did they paint the horses in three tones camo too?  ;D
A CANADIAN local hobby store with a small selection of historical wargames miniatures (mainly from Warlords). They also have a great selection of paint and hobby accessories from Vallejo, Army painter, AK Interactive, Green Stuff World and more.; https://www.kingdomtitans.ca/us/

Offline Jemima Fawr

• Mastermind
    • Jemima Fawr's Miniature Wargames Blog
« Reply #21 on: July 12, 2019, 04:50:14 PM »
Did they paint the horses in three tones camo too?  ;D
I've not seen any evidence that they did, but 81 (West African) Division in 1944 did receive a delivery by air of several Dakota-loads of white cattle, dyed jungle-green...  lol

Offline NTM

• Scientist
« Reply #22 on: July 14, 2019, 11:26:22 AM »
Regarding Mielke all the photos of the Ausf G/H show them in three colour camo but there is at least one Ausf M which was plain Dunkelgelb.

Possibly the tank of Karl-Heinz Kracht who took a lot of photos on the unit.

Offline gamer Mac

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #23 on: July 14, 2019, 11:42:55 AM »
It is impossible to say with certainty what colour German vehicles were painted.  A lot depends on which unit you are representing and the role of the vehicle.

Generally by 1944 new vehicles were supplied dunkelgelb with olivgrun and rotbraun paint for camouflage.  There was no set pattern or proportions so depending on how (if) the paint was thinned, how it was applied (thrown, broom, paintbrush, spraygun etc) the density of colour and proportions used would vary considerably.  This book is very useful https://www.amazon.co.uk/D-Day-Berlin-Camouflage-Markings-1944-45/dp/185409212X

Older vehicles of the occupation army or those in anti-partisan, fortress, supply etc roles would only be repainted if at a major overhaul or when going into action.

Dunkelgelb with olivgrun stripes and patches was very common in combat units - some also used the rotbraun instead of or as well as olivgrun.
The older grey vehicles may be seen plain grey (particularly Kriegsmarine and Luftwaffe airfield vehicles, equipment, trailers guns) many were also given irregular stripes or patches of dunkelgelb, olivgrun or rotbraun or a combination.

That said, my father was in Normandy from D-Day onwards and said that regardless of nationality all vehicles were of a similar dust colour within a few days of arrival.

So I suppose that you are modelling a frontline vehicle so I'd go for dunkelgelb and olivgrun
I used to have this book, very useful for vehicle camo and some good info on how they were painted