Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 01:51:04 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686487
  • Total Topics: 118102
  • Online Today: 857
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Battle Systems Kickstarter - Fantasy Wargames Terrain  (Read 1567 times)

Offline Niall78

• Student
Battle Systems Kickstarter - Fantasy Wargames Terrain
« on: July 10, 2019, 08:07:15 PM »
I'm surprised their isn't a thread already about the new Fantasy Terrain Kickstarter by Battle Systems. Lack of interest or viability I wonder?

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1621774283/fantasy-wargames-terrain-from-battle-systemstm/description

I'm certainly very tempted.

Anyone else pledged already? Or have experience of other Battle Systems products?

Offline Tim Haslam

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
Re: Battle Systems Kickstarter - Fantasy Wargames Terrain
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2019, 09:39:56 PM »
Very nice.
Cheap too?
A millionaire trapped in a peasants body!

Offline Niall78

• Student
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2019, 09:48:09 PM »
Very nice.
Cheap too?

I wouldn't call £75 a set cheap but it does seem great value for that money.

A ready painted fantasy set-up that would nicely fill a 6x4 or even 8x6 size board.

Offline Elbows

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2019, 02:26:04 AM »
This company is also known for pretty successful Kickstarters, so you can take that price with a grain of salt.  The value will probably increase as the campaign goes on.  That's one of the main issues of KS practices nowdays.

1) People want free stuff...even if you put all the "unlocks" up front, it doesn't generate interest like unlockable stretch goals.
2) If you don't account for all the possible stretch goals you'll undersell your Kickstarter and fail after you fund....being unable to actually produce all the stretch goals.
3) If you price your Kickstarter to accommodate stretch goals it always looks too expensive to start...so you're turning off some buyers.

Just an issue with Kickstarters nowdays.
2024 Painted Miniatures: 166
('23: 159, '22: 214, '21: 148, '20: 207, '19: 123, '18: 98, '17: 226, '16: 233, '15: 32, '14: 116)

https://myminiaturemischief.blogspot.com
Find us at TurnStyle Games on Facebook!

Offline Bloggard

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2019, 07:59:09 AM »
yes, just seen this a couple of days back and was going to post here funnily enough ...It looks fantastic. They've really moved things up a notch with this.

I almost went for their 'old' sets - and was offered them at a (not very generous) discount a few months back (clearance) - glad I didn't.
This stuff is on a whole other level.

Unfortunately I can't really afford to back the kickstarter (too much spent on bloody paints and rulebooks  ::) ), so will have to wait for retail and see how it goes.

Offline Mad Lord Snapcase

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
  • Snapcase Hall, Much-Piddling, Devon
    • The Life and Times of Mad Lord Snapcase
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2019, 04:52:31 PM »
Thanks for posting, Niall78. I'd not seen this but now I've pledged for a village, looks really good.  :)

Offline Neldoreth

• Mastermind
    • An Hour of Wolves and Shattered Shields
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2019, 05:10:42 PM »
Storage is an issue for me these days, so being able to build and collapse is very tempting. How does it look after about 20 times building and collapsing though?

Thanks
n

Offline Niall78

• Student
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2019, 07:09:54 PM »
Thanks for posting, Niall78. I'd not seen this but now I've pledged for a village, looks really good.  :)

Just went for the village pledge myself.

Am really tempted by the chapel and watermill as well ........

My AWI MDF buildings are bad enough for me to value the ready to go print job on this setup.

Offline YPU

• Galactic Brain
  • In glorious 3D!
« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2019, 07:15:51 PM »
The very obvious plastic clips are a definite deal breaker for me.
3d designer, sculptor and printer, at your service!

3d files! (here)

Offline Niall78

• Student
« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2019, 07:57:40 PM »
The very obvious plastic clips are a definite deal breaker for me.

Why wouldn't they do clear clips I wonder?

It didn't stop me pledging but I certainly did factor the look of the clips into my decision.

Offline Bloggard

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #10 on: July 12, 2019, 08:46:04 AM »
at least going by the photos, not bothered by the clips at all - rather they seem part of the overall architectural aesthetic - quite a clever approach. As such better than clear clips to my eye.

Really good system and set - I think they've got the size and visuals just right (a lot of mdf kits, for example, are a bit small for heroic fantasy).
« Last Edit: July 12, 2019, 11:49:16 AM by Bloggard »

Offline Calumma

• Librarian
« Reply #11 on: July 13, 2019, 12:47:57 PM »
I pledged for their dungeon set and the terrain really is very good. I like to make my own terrain for some games, but the cardboard houses just feel right for fantasy (especially when dipping back into Oldhammer).

I've had a go with mdf building with mixed results. The cardboard buildings can be over painted and/or weathered just as easily as mdf I think (if wanted) and the fact that they are 'prepainted' to a much better standard than I could achieve is quite a bonus. I do hope that they produce more of a variety of houses though. The large buildings are great, but I'd like more cottages, hovels, town houses, shops etc.

I'm not such a fan of some of the scatter terrain. Things like round barrels just don't work in cardboard. I'd suggest using something like Mantics terrain crate to embellish the cardboard buildings.

Offline mweaver

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #12 on: July 14, 2019, 04:49:42 AM »
Very nice!  But we have invested pretty heavily in resin buildings (MBA, Tabletop World) and in my experience , aesthetically the two approaches do not mix well.  But these buildings are quite striking, and I hope the KS soars.

-Michael