Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 20, 2024, 04:10:10 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Border Reivers  (Read 4711 times)

Offline Terryb

• Librarian
Border Reivers
« on: July 10, 2019, 10:50:10 PM »
Hi there, just spending a couple of weeks in the Lake District and have been totally immersed in the battles of the region in the 16th Century which has been called the Border Reiver wars.
Looking to wargame this using Pikemans Lament. In regards figures I have found Reiver Castings, Hoka Hey and the Timeline range being sold by Colonel Bills. Have not seen any of these ranges in the flesh yet.
Have I missed any and does anybody have a preference in regards their figure collections.
Any help would be appreciated.

Offline Rogerc

• Scatterbrained Genius
Re: Border Reivers
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2019, 11:32:30 PM »
The Aussauly group have a range and so do Redoubt Enterprises but I think if its just the Reivers you are wanting then the old Graven Images range now sold by Hoka Hey are the best way forward. Quite a few images and comparisons on my blog if you fancy a look. I am doing Elizabethans for Ireland and that includes Border Horse. Just look under the Elizabethan label. There are a couple of other guys with blogs that cover this period too.

https://gapagnw.blogspot.com/
+
My blog gapagnw.blogspot.co.uk

Offline Terryb

• Librarian
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2019, 08:01:19 AM »
Cracking website Roger. A gold mine of information. Great painting and battle reports. It’s funny, always followed your blog in the past especially the Carlist and GNW, but seemed to have missed your Elizabethan posts. Will definitely pay more attention now.
Must admit the Hoka figures do look nice, and will look at the Assault group later on today. Thanks for the information, really appreciate it

Offline Paul Richardson

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2019, 08:31:59 AM »
If you're interested in 40mm, Perry Miniatures do a nice-looking range.

Offline Rogerc

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2019, 09:14:06 AM »
Pleasure Terry. Graven Images are lovely, they are howver very chunky compared to other ranges.

Foundry Seadogs and the old Elizabethan range are worth looking at too.

Offline Terryb

• Librarian
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2019, 09:44:27 AM »
My word, those Foundry Seadogs look nice. I presume that they wouldn’t mix with the Graven Images in the same units, but would not look out of place in their own units. I feel my cash reserves dwindling as we speak!!!

Offline Paul Richardson

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2019, 11:29:27 AM »
Someone very recently on this forum showed photos of 28mm Foundry Seadogs which he'd converted to 40mm to match the Perry reivers by lengthening the legs of the 28mm figures. They looked very successful to me.

Offline Terryb

• Librarian
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2019, 03:34:21 PM »
The 40mm do look really nice. I think I will have to stick with 28mm mainly due to cost and my scenery is geared up for that, but thanks for the advice Paul. Mind you wouldn’t hurt to do skirmish type games using the Ganesha Rules with the 40mm’s. If I order figures whilst I am on holiday do you think I can convince the wife that it is for reference purposes 😳

Offline Rogerc

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2019, 05:17:53 PM »
The Foundry seadogs are probably the nearest you will get in size to the Graven Images, in my latest blog post there are three Pikemen from the Foundry range and three from Graven Images next to each other for you reference, I wont be mixing them but you might get away with it.

Paul's mention of the 40MM is also a good call, the small Foundry range is georgous, I used to have them but got rid due to the low number of varients but the recent conversion of 28mm to 40mm he mentions were stunning, if you are capable of the conversions its one to consider.

Offline BillK

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scientist
« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2019, 07:19:40 PM »
The Thistle & Rose guys have the old Vendel Border Reivers range, wonderful figs, you can reach them thru their T&R FB page.

Offline Terryb

• Librarian
« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2019, 08:21:01 AM »
Thanks for the suggestion Bill. It is a shame that there isn’t a British supplier for the range, as I would definitely be interested. May just have to bite the bullet and order some anyway. Thanks again.

Offline Terryb

• Librarian
« Reply #11 on: July 20, 2019, 12:59:18 PM »
Was looking to game with the Dan Mersey Rules. Before I buy a set does anybody know whether this would suit The Pikemans Lament or Lion Rampant, as it does fall somewhere between the time  periods for these rules. Thanks for any advice.

Offline Rogerc

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #12 on: July 20, 2019, 02:21:21 PM »
I think Pikemans lament would be nearer but I havent played it yet myself, hoping to do so over next couple of months and happy to share outcomes.

Offline v_lazy_dragon

• Mastermind
« Reply #13 on: July 22, 2019, 11:05:10 AM »
Seconded for Pikemen's lament.
For what it's worth I use Donnybrook for these sort of games (I've written up some tweaks for Elizabethan Fire-arms, although to be honest it plays fine as is) as the smaller units/characters give it more of a skirmish feel than PL.
Xander
Army painters thread: leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=56540.msg671536#new
WinterApoc thread: leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=50815.0

Offline Rogerc

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #14 on: July 22, 2019, 03:03:31 PM »
jUST SEEN ON THE pIKEMANS lAMENT fb PAGE THAT A NEW COMPANY HAVE TAKEN OVER THE vENDEL rEIVERS RANGE AND LOOKIGN TO DEVELOP THE pl RULES FOR RAIDIGN WITH FAMILIES. wORTH A LOOK PERHAPS.