Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 24, 2024, 12:56:32 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690508
  • Total Topics: 118334
  • Online Today: 732
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: I don't like MDF buildings  (Read 14196 times)

Offline Antenociti

• Scientist
    • Antenociti's Workshop
Re: I don't like MDF buildings
« Reply #30 on: July 12, 2019, 01:58:01 PM »
. There are usually little to no directions on how to put them together. Numerous pieces you have to figure out where
they are meant to go. They don't fit together well. Plus, this was originally sold as "being so cheap".

I don't think poor instructions and bad fittings are exclusive to MDF - that can apply to plenty of multi-part metal/resin products... and parts not fitting is also poor design or production, rather than a problem endemic to MDF as a product material.

I'd say that their initial, and possibly current 'draw' is that they allow you to build something of a reasonable standard without needing significant scenery/modelling skills (materials and tools).

"Cheap" ...

Sure, plenty have been sold as cheap, but they generally are cheap looking, low detail and basic designs - which as others have stated here, are more suited to be "platforms" to build upon, rather than finished products. Again though, those are people with that building skill... many folks don't have that ability but can assemble an MDF kit.

Yet, isn't that true of most wargame products? A wide range of prices depending on quality, support and design?

On the other hand, yes, the market is flooded with cheap tat.... but, again, isn't that true of most things nowadays?
\"You don\'t need eyes to see, you need vision.\"

Offline Silent Invader

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #31 on: July 12, 2019, 02:02:55 PM »
My LAF Gallery is HERE
Minis (foot & mounted) finished in 2024 = 32
(2023 = 151; 2022 = 204; 2021 = 123; 2020 = ???)

Offline Duncan McDane

• Mastermind
« Reply #32 on: July 12, 2019, 03:21:14 PM »

Behold my terrain and weep!

I'd choose cardboard buildings over MDF any day of the week. Quick, easy to assemble and cheap. But all a matter of taste, of course. I still hope to secure enough funds to get me a small Tabletop World village but alas, "saving" and "this hobby" is next to impossible for me ;-).
Leadhead

Offline sundayhero

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #33 on: July 12, 2019, 04:19:58 PM »
Who's selling cardboard buildings ?

Offline Cait Sidhe

• Scientist
« Reply #34 on: July 12, 2019, 04:55:52 PM »

Not many as kits these days I imagine, but there's plenty of print your own stuff out there on Wargame Vault etc. The building I posted is a Dave Graffam Inventor's House I printed out and assembled myself.

Offline Kommando_J

• Mastermind
« Reply #35 on: July 12, 2019, 05:22:55 PM »
I tried mdf once with the great panjandrum war machine from warlord games, the instructions were very unclear and as a result the mdf became so dog-eared it wouldn't go together and I ended up just throwing it away in disgust.

Never again!

Andrew_McGuire

« Reply #36 on: July 12, 2019, 05:29:19 PM »
It might be worse. At least we don't have to live in them.

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
« Reply #37 on: July 12, 2019, 06:30:20 PM »

So yes big fancy super realistic terrain and incredibly painted minis are gorgeous and would be great but they are completely unnecessary in order to enjoy playing wargames.

That is indeed the alternative point of view, well expressed :)
To me, those things are in fact entirely necessary to my enjoyment of a wargame. To you, not.
Like I say, personal preference.
I also greatly enjoy boardgaming. In fact these days I play a lot more boardgames than tabletop games with miniatures. Different aesthetic, different medium.

Offline Gibby

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #38 on: July 12, 2019, 06:56:46 PM »
I've seen people do wonders with MDF, and not spend a great deal more in doing so given they're using existing terrain-making materials. Some people are able to take an MDF structure and turn it into something that rivals quality resin buildings. I've also seen those tables where the weaknesses of MDF are very apparent.

Have to say, those Antenociti pre-painted units are excellent! Goes to show what CAN be done even in a ready-made product.

Offline Duncan McDane

• Mastermind
« Reply #39 on: July 12, 2019, 07:08:32 PM »

In the Netherlands we have the Cosmic Fire Foundation that sells cardboard buildings in many scales ( 1:60-1:72-1:87-1:100 ).
I'm sure if you google for 28mm cardboard buildings you'll get many hits ;-).

Offline Lovejoy

• Mad Scientist
    • Oathsworn Miniatures
« Reply #40 on: July 12, 2019, 10:22:12 PM »
I always thought I didn't like MDF terrain, but since Sarissa made a bunch of it for our Burrows & Badgers game, I'm a convert...
Painted with sprays and standard acrylics, I think it looks pretty good personally!

Certainly a lot faster to put together than if I'd tried scratchbuilding it, too...

Cheers,
Michael

Offline Elbows

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #41 on: July 13, 2019, 10:40:18 PM »
I'm personally a fan, but then I've a lot of experience with them.  If you don't like them, I still don't see why this is an issue - no one is forcing you to buy them.

MDF is a pretty sweeping generalization though.

This is MDF terrain:

And so is this:

(and yes it comes pre-painted with pre-painted and detailed interior walls etc.)

Alternatively you have some excellent "dollies" styled bits available from companies like Knights of Dice:

(intentionally simple shapes - made to be modified by the end user)

And then this is also MDF:

(comes with the teddy bear fur thatch roof, etc.)

I know we have some world class terrain builders on this site, but I don't think anyone can argue that casual gamers or gaming clubs are often very short on quality terrain.  It's a time consuming skill that many people don't have the patience for or the materials/space to work on.  More gamers than we like to admit don't even fully paint most of their miniatures.

On top of that, a lot of the home-made terrain I've seen put on gaming tables is really poor.  I think we've set the expectation rather high vs. what reality often is.  I'm one of two people in ten of my local group who can put together a fully painted/assembled table with terrain.  Some of it home-made, a lot of it is Old West.

I don't have the time or skill to build a full Old West table the way I run my games (particularly with doors, windows, interior details, etc.).  I do re-spray and paint a lot of portions, but I'll take the 85% solution if it means getting a table done.  The builds disassemble and stack easily in my terrain tubs and I can transport them easily.

In my experience I have found MDF to be a joy to work with (very few exceptions, I have on one or two occasions received pieces which are a tiny bit too thick and the joins needed cutting down with an xacto knife).  If you buy the cheaper stuff you can also assemble it in minutes.  If you needed to suddenly put together a table in an hour or two you could feasibly do it (not suggesting it!).

I'd post some pictures of my tables, but they occasionally have rivers on top of the ground and trees with bases, so I don't want to cause a riot...
2024 Painted Miniatures: 203
('23: 159, '22: 214, '21: 148, '20: 207, '19: 123, '18: 98, '17: 226, '16: 233, '15: 32, '14: 116)

https://myminiaturemischief.blogspot.com
Find us at TurnStyle Games on Facebook!

Offline Inkpaduta

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
« Reply #42 on: July 13, 2019, 11:44:38 PM »
Elbows,

I never said it was an issue. This is a forum about wargaming and discussion things about wargaming. I simply stated my feelings about MDF and asked if others felt the same way. I have found the responses interesting. Some people seem to like MDF. Many seem to be so-so about it (better than building your own) and some agree with me. It was never of question of buy it or don't buy it, just what you did of MDF buildings.

Offline lethallee61

• Scientist
« Reply #43 on: July 13, 2019, 11:50:13 PM »
I use a lot of MDF buildings and gubbins and will continue to do so. Convenient, time-saving and simple to paint and accessorise if you want to go that way. Plus they often come in shapes and sizes that I can’t replicate with the hobby tools in my possession.

What I find most amusing about those who complain though is that they often use the argument that the buildings aren’t “realistic looking enough”.

Personally, I’ve yet to see any historical photo or illustration that shows soldiers walking around with those big round disks attached to the bottom of their feet either, but I’m prepared to accept those for my wargaming troops as well.  ;)

« Last Edit: July 14, 2019, 02:05:19 AM by lethallee61 »
Enjoying the game is ALWAYS more important than winning the game.

Offline Gibby

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #44 on: July 14, 2019, 12:35:43 AM »
Not to mention that wargaming buildings are usually ridiculously small relative to the size of the miniatures.