Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 11:55:29 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686596
  • Total Topics: 118110
  • Online Today: 857
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: I don't like MDF buildings  (Read 14092 times)

Offline Inkpaduta

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
I don't like MDF buildings
« on: July 10, 2019, 11:14:23 PM »
Okay,

I realize this is the hot new thing for buildings. Punch them out and put them together.
But I don't care for them. I have tried a number of the kits. There are usually little to
no directions on how to put them together. Numerous pieces you have to figure out where
they are meant to go. They don't fit together well. Plus, this was originally sold as "being so cheap".
To me, they have gotten more expensive.

Am I alone in my feelings?

Offline carlos marighela

• Elder God
  • Flamenguista até morrer.
Re: I don't like MDF buildings
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2019, 11:32:32 PM »
Okay,

I realize this is the hot new thing for buildings. Punch them out and put them together.
But I don't care for them. I have tried a number of the kits. There are usually little to
no directions on how to put them together. Numerous pieces you have to figure out where
they are meant to go. They don't fit together well. Plus, this was originally sold as "being so cheap".

Well given the diversity of human opinion on anything, it's unlikely you are alone and indeed I have seen others on this very forum express disdain. Like most things it depends not only on the raw materials but what you bring to the party. I see MDF buildings as useful dollies or shells, to which one details them to varying extents. In that sense they are better value than lumps of resin, if for example you want to make multiple buildings with variations on a theme. Surface texture and roofs are the most common issue and both are readily fixed if you are willing to put in a little work. Like most things you get more out of them , the more you put in. I always add roofing sheets, plastic rod guttering and various details. The surface gets scuffed, scribed, sometimes plastered and generally surfaced, so it doesn't look like MDF.

I agree that many kits will appeal most to those who like jigsaws but to be honest I haven't come across an example where they are inscrutable. Of course manufacturers vary. The Knights of Dice buildings are not only very detailed but most are fairly intuitive to build and even if they weren't their website supplies easily read construction diagrams.
Em dezembro de '81
Botou os ingleses na roda
3 a 0 no Liverpool
Ficou marcado na história
E no Rio não tem outro igual
Só o Flamengo é campeão mundial
E agora seu povo
Pede o mundo de novo

Offline OSHIROmodels

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Custom terrain a speciality.
    • Oshiro modelterrain
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2019, 11:47:09 PM »
Okay,

Good man  :D
cheers

James

https://www.oshiromodels.co.uk/

Twitter account -     @OSHIROmodels
Instagram account - oshiromodels

http://redplanetminiatures.blogspot.co.uk/
http://jimbibblyblog.blogspot.com/

Offline Captain Harlock

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2019, 12:15:56 AM »
I totaly understand how you feel, I hate the damn things.

1) Coming mainly from a scale modelling background I find them lacking detail.

2) 9 out 10 they are much worse than what I can do for ''free'' (granted nothing is free) with abit effort and occasional cursing.

3) Their prices are constantly rising, even if I wanted mdf building its much easier for me to set up an adobe illustrator file and go to a local cnc service.

I understand some people care more about the playing aspect and they dont have or want to spend time. My mates are like this. But for me the whole scratch building/modelling/painting aspect is more enjoyable than the playing one. Its like fishing. You clear your mind.

Offline Blackwolf

• Potato Cup 3 winner
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2019, 01:14:31 AM »
I like them...though I do,do them up.I can scratch build(a few threads on the forum),there's just not enough time to scratch  everything when I have so much bloody stuff ;D
What bugs me are rivers above ground level,and trees on bases...
« Last Edit: July 11, 2019, 01:24:06 AM by Blackwolf »
May the Wolf  Walk With You
http://greywolf1066.blogspot.com.au/

Painting Clubs Joined: APC,MPC, PPC,PAPC,LPC.

Offline Elbows

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2019, 02:22:56 AM »
I feel like the solution is possibly...don't buy them?
2024 Painted Miniatures: 166
('23: 159, '22: 214, '21: 148, '20: 207, '19: 123, '18: 98, '17: 226, '16: 233, '15: 32, '14: 116)

https://myminiaturemischief.blogspot.com
Find us at TurnStyle Games on Facebook!

Offline Malebolgia

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Lost in Cyberspace
    • Paintoholic
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2019, 08:11:33 AM »
I don't like brussel sprouts.
*shrugs*

But more seriously, I love them. They give a sturdy and practical solution that does look great when it's painted up. They're easy to assemble and you can do a lot with them. And most manufacturers sell them with instructions or provide them on their website. So yeah, great material for buildings I'd say.
“What use was time to those who'd soon achieve Digital Immortality?”

Offline tin shed gamer

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2019, 09:14:45 AM »
As I've said before Mdf is seen by some as a magic bullet. Personally I think it has its limitations. It's Ideal for industrial and angular shapes . Curved surfaces expose its limitations.Where as organic shapes and movement are well beyound its ability.
Am I a fan ? Not really a question I can simply answer yes or no too.
Do I own Mdf buildings Yes.Are any of them straight out of the box un altered builds No not a one .
I view mdf as many others do.As a time saving Dollies.I also view Railway card models in a similar way.
When it comes to price.It's a case of shopping around and having a clear idea of how you intend to use / view the kit.
I'm not going to buy a £40 knights of dice Brownstone building if I intend on cladding it in plaster(personally I use pre mixed tile grout and adhesive .as it doesn't scare as easily as plaster)
No I'll buy a TT combat or similar at £15 or less.
The true value of mdf kits isn't the level of detail for the price.(although it factors greatly in decision making.)
It's time versus money .
Does the expense and level of detail save me enough time and cost (in terms of a DIY.) to warrent the outlays.
For example a row of terraced house.
28mm Mdf £30-£40 and six hours to build and pimp.
Ho railway card buildings £6-£15 convert to 28mm and pimp eight hours.
From scratch grey board from ebay £1.50-£5 build and pimp ten hours.
From scratch rooting through the recycling.Cost zero. building and pimping twelve to fifteen hours.

It is possible to do zero cost builds If you class the use of adhesives and paints as something you've in
 Stock for your hobby anyway.
I'm always plonking such threads on here ;)

Offline SteveBurt

• Mastermind
« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2019, 09:57:46 AM »
I like them if the original building was made of wood; so they are great for Wild West or French & Indian War settings, or parts of rural Russia. I don't like them for brick, stone or adobe buildings, because they don't look right.

Offline Daeothar

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
  • D1-Games: a DWAN Corporate initiative
    • 1999legacy.com
« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2019, 10:28:46 AM »
They're like blank canvasses; ready to be tarted up. And when properly done, they can look suitably interesting.

Bare MDF (pre-painted or not) as terrain does fit in nicely with equally bare plastic or metal though...

What bugs me are rivers above ground level,and trees on bases...
Seconded...

Wait a minute; are you basically saying you don't like the Netherlands? lol
Miniatures you say? Well I too, like to live dangerously...
Find a Way, or make one!

Offline Rich H

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2019, 12:02:52 PM »
I use MDF as a base the pimp... 

I get annoyed at the assembly slots on show so I cover them with 'stuff' favourite being this brick paper from a chap in greece via e-bay and card-slates.

(Note I make my own base buildings as I've got a laser cutter and MDF is cheap  ;D but the principal still holds)

Offline armchairgeneral

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
« Reply #11 on: July 11, 2019, 12:06:55 PM »
I am also not keen on MDF as they look like cardboard cut outs IMHO. However I do take the point that you can tart them up to save you starting completely from scratch.

I prefer resin buildings as I would rather spend the time painting figures.

That said I recently came across this company and their MDF stuff looks quite impressive

https://www.darkops.co.uk/collections/all?page=6

Online AWu

• Mastermind
    • War is the H-word
« Reply #12 on: July 11, 2019, 12:39:18 PM »
I prefer to built myself but there are certain things that are just better in MDF and damn time consuming when scratch building.

Samurai houses from 4 ground for example..
I could emulate them but when I built my much more crude scratch build Japanese Inn it took me ages and  was frustrating.
So 4Ground any day.. and they do not need repainting and come with a teddy bear thatch..

Offline Duncan McDane

• Mastermind
« Reply #13 on: July 11, 2019, 04:44:41 PM »
I don't like MDF-buildings because I'm not skilled enough to make something good out of them  :'(
Got some MDF-parts on Warlord Antares drop pots. A nasty surprise, since I was counting on it to be of plastic or metal. Needless to say I haven't done anything with them yet.
Leadhead

Offline Old Contemptible

• Assistant
« Reply #14 on: July 11, 2019, 05:31:52 PM »
I hate the damn things. I purchased a French farm house kit and it was absolutely a disaster to assemble. Way beyond my skill set. Too tedious and fragile. The floor was warp out of the box and nothing fit. The popular mantra is that they are so "easy and such a great value." I find them expensive and difficult. I wish companies would have a purchase complete option. Some people like myself don't want to spend weeks assembling a building. I'd rather spend that time painting figures and playing. So I wouldn't mind the extra expense.   
« Last Edit: July 11, 2019, 05:36:59 PM by Old Contemptible »
"Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it."