Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 16, 2024, 05:32:41 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1689308
  • Total Topics: 118272
  • Online Today: 605
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: 15mm Sci Fi project: Eden- new painted figures 11/11  (Read 92970 times)

Offline CookAndrewB

• Mastermind
    • 3d designs can be found at Thingiverse
Re: 15mm Sci Fi project: Eden - Town of Forbear now with buildings 9/17
« Reply #105 on: September 18, 2019, 06:41:53 PM »
The ships look great! Many a great hours of gaming  are coming I see!

So playing around  with the graph paper I figure, if you move the back walls inward like you did for the side wall, you can create a space behind the buildings making a back alley to move through if you happen to put the buildings back to back, which I think can work really well.

Looking forward to seeing your work on those great buildings too!

I hadn't put too much consideration into back alleys yet. It might be something that gets built into a larger (8x8", 8x12") build. An alley/loading dock style feature, perhaps. I'll have to give that a good solid think. The biggest problem with pulling the back walls in is that buildings become very small if there is only 4" of depth to begin with. I think that is why I would consider it on an 8x8" base, as you could pull the walls in a full inch on each side and you still end up with a pretty big building overall, at 6x6". That is almost as wide as the EWIG and 2" deeper, while maintaining walkable sidewalks all around. I'm going to play with this a bit. At some point I need to add a mining office to the town, and that might be a good candidate for the expanded footprint with an alley.

Also, I liked this terrain tile idea so much that I bought 2x2' foam tiles for a 28mm scale version.

Offline War Monkey

• Mastermind
    • Silo1313
« Reply #106 on: September 18, 2019, 08:14:12 PM »
While I'm doodling away, I'm finding that the 4x8's are well suited size for small stores and restaurants  even bars, where you can get 4 or 5 good rooms, I tried  to do something  more on the lines of a sheriff's  office and a few cells deputy's ofice and dispatch  and armory was just too many rooms for a small space and that a 8x8  maybe more suited for this kind of building and others.
Just remember "If the Enemy is in range, so are YOU!

http://silo1313.blogspot.com/

Offline CookAndrewB

• Mastermind
« Reply #107 on: September 18, 2019, 08:41:53 PM »
While I'm doodling away, I'm finding that the 4x8's are well suited size for small stores and restaurants  even bars, where you can get 4 or 5 good rooms, I tried  to do something  more on the lines of a sheriff's  office and a few cells deputy's ofice and dispatch  and armory was just too many rooms for a small space and that a 8x8  maybe more suited for this kind of building and others.

Indeedy! The medical center has four rooms and a central entry (not walled off from the waiting area, so not another room). The EWIG has a large dining area, kitchen, and office.

Smaller than 2x2" and rooms become too small, for 15mm, I think. You might be able to do 1.5" wide by 1" deep cells for a jail. I mean, Some of this is just giving the impression of a figure being locked up. They don't need space for that purpose. I'd say 1x1" would work, but I think that the extra 1.5" width would allow a return on the door so it wasn't just an open front. Still, how many sci-fi jails have no physical doors?

Or even more space saving...

Maybe a prison would be a carbonite processing room (or something like it) and then just stacks and stacks of prisoners on warehouse style racks? Could be really fun to sculpt some carbonite prisoners. Just a block with some feet/hands/face?  :D

Offline Ockman

• Mastermind
« Reply #108 on: September 19, 2019, 04:11:03 AM »
Love those ships, they are reminding me of FTL which I've played for several hundred (perhaps over one thousand) hours...

Offline CookAndrewB

• Mastermind
« Reply #109 on: September 19, 2019, 06:04:42 PM »
Thanks Ockman. I had to look that up, but seems like a dead ringer, lol.

Offline War Monkey

• Mastermind
    • Silo1313
« Reply #110 on: September 20, 2019, 02:35:19 AM »
Thanks I didn't even think of cryo  chambers! Duh, what was I thinking of course  the idea of force fields would work too, I had steel bars stuck in my brain! Thanks again.

Still looking forward  to your posts.

Offline zrunelord

• Mastermind
    • Picts from the Front
« Reply #111 on: September 20, 2019, 05:33:35 AM »
Nice work Cook,
You can also glue paper flooring to add visual appeal.
Check Heroic games & Dave Graffam.The latter has a great sale at the moment.
Both due excellent stuff.
Z
http://castrarunis.blogspot.com/

Imagine & you can.
Most see shapes you must see possibilities.
Z

Offline CookAndrewB

• Mastermind
« Reply #112 on: September 20, 2019, 12:57:34 PM »
Thanks I didn't even think of cryo  chambers! Duh, what was I thinking of course  the idea of force fields would work too, I had steel bars stuck in my brain! Thanks again.

Still looking forward  to your posts.

I currently have two cryo chambers in the works. It will, if all goes according to plan, allow me to put miniatures into the chamber and encase them. I'm currently debating whether I want to leave the plastic tube clear, or give it a slight fog so it looks like the inside of the chamber is frozen. I figure these would work for both shipboard/prison scenarios.

Offline CookAndrewB

• Mastermind
« Reply #113 on: September 20, 2019, 01:06:24 PM »
Nice work Cook,
You can also glue paper flooring to add visual appeal.
Check Heroic games & Dave Graffam.The latter has a great sale at the moment.
Both due excellent stuff.
Z

Maybe this will happen in the future. I'm all the time grabbing images because I like the textures and such. Once I have the basic construction and paints down I'll work through the process of adding details to the builds. Sort of the same process for the ships. Once the nine sections are built, I'll start to fuss with adding pipes/wire runs, blah blah blah. But I didn't want to wait to game until I had those details worked out. So the "good enough to game" with time to create between missions will be my normal way of doing things for this project. It is VERY different time management from the previous work I've done in 28mm. For those I have builds that I spend months and months trying to get it perfect before it ever hits the table, and the result is that I've rarely played much in 28mm because I got bogged down in the build/paint cycle.

I'm learning lessons about work/game balance here  :D

Offline zrunelord

• Mastermind
    • Picts from the Front
« Reply #114 on: September 20, 2019, 01:47:16 PM »
I understand you perfectly as I go way overboard to build stuff  in my spare time, whatever it is.I have to find time to paint minis obviously but this results in rarely finding time to play.

Still searching for that solo scifi rule set that will change the way I do things & finally satisfies the itch. I have to sit down first 😁

Z

Offline CookAndrewB

• Mastermind
« Reply #115 on: September 20, 2019, 02:19:25 PM »
I understand you perfectly as I go way overboard to build stuff  in my spare time, whatever it is.I have to find time to paint minis obviously but this results in rarely finding time to play.

Still searching for that solo scifi rule set that will change the way I do things & finally satisfies the itch. I have to sit down first 😁

Z

I can say I've really enjoyed Five Parsecs. It is built around solo play, not an afterthought to a rule set. Plus, there are the basic rule sets (Five Parsecs From Home, Five Parsecs Gang Warfare, and Five Parsecs Salvage Team), and a number of expansion/addition items that can add different alien races, give options for how your characters progress, building/modifying weapons outside of the normal equipment list, scenarios, etc. Most of the rules have some ideas for how to tweak game play to suit different tastes.

There are a few other rule sets that Nordic Weasel does which also might appeal. https://www.drivethrurpg.com/browse/pub/5701/Nordic-Weasel-Games

Offline CookAndrewB

• Mastermind
« Reply #116 on: September 23, 2019, 06:41:34 PM »
Forbear didn't make it onto the gaming table this weekend, but that would be because of a logistical hurdle with Amazon. This didn't stop me from painting up some roads/sidewalks though.

Keeping with my "this isn't Earth" theme, I went with yellow sidewalks and shimmering green roads compliments of Turbo Dork paints.

These roads aren't glued down, and these aren't the city tiles even. Roads were just laid out on my wilderness tiles. Looks pretty good. Will look better once everything is glued in place.

Offline Ockman

• Mastermind
I like your colour choices!

Offline CookAndrewB

• Mastermind
I like your colour choices!

Thanks! It will be of little use beyond this project, but what the heck. I am enjoying some color on my table while I'm taking a break from the apocalypse  :D

Offline War Monkey

• Mastermind
    • Silo1313
I agree, really nice choice in colors!