Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 24, 2024, 02:59:25 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690462
  • Total Topics: 118332
  • Online Today: 732
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: 15mm Sci Fi project: Eden- new painted figures 11/11  (Read 93277 times)

Offline CookAndrewB

• Mastermind
    • 3d designs can be found at Thingiverse
Nice, Bill. I may have to make some "wipe the spud off your feet" signs for the airlock areas.

Bridge 2 has some new set dressing. First up, I hated the old window paint, so I've refreshed it. I can accept this. The old version was a bit of a mess.

Pilot house above.

Observation deck below.

Speaking of the observation deck. Since this was imagined to be something like a dining hall/ballroom (depending on the mission, passengers, and set dressing I suppose), I have started a small galley for serving the guests hot food. While replicators handle a lot of the load, some things just need to be slapped on a griddle. Ever eat a replicator pancake? No. You haven't. They are disgusting.

Bridge 2 Airlock and some random control panels.

Bridge 2 Nav control panel and random poster. A different nav panel played a role in the original OFP game, so I made this a more permanent fixture.

More pictures on this bridge soon. The ballroom/cafeteria is still a big question mark. I've been trying to figure out how to paint it so it looks lavish. I need some fancy wall decor, and something special for the flooring, I think. Just haven't landed on anything yet.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2020, 05:09:03 PM by CookAndrewB »

Offline Billchuck

• Scientist
    • Velociengineer.net
More pictures on this bridge soon. The ballroom/cafeteria is still a big question mark. I've been trying to figure out how to paint it so it looks lavish. I need some fancy wall decor, and something special for the flooring, I think. Just haven't landed on anything yet.

It’s looking great.  I’d love to play a game on it.

For your dining room, maybe you could look at wallpaper samples?  They would give you color and texture, maybe you could find something with some style.

Offline CookAndrewB

• Mastermind
It’s looking great.  I’d love to play a game on it.

For your dining room, maybe you could look at wallpaper samples?  They would give you color and texture, maybe you could find something with some style.

That isn't a bad idea. My mother in law gave me some samples a while back. I'll take a look and see if anything strikes my fancy.

Offline War Monkey

• Mastermind
    • Silo1313
Great work!  :D, I really need to get off my duff and get some projects done.  lol
Just remember "If the Enemy is in range, so are YOU!

http://silo1313.blogspot.com/

Offline Brummie

• Mastermind
  • Incoming!
One of the best, if not the best Ship interior I've ever seen made from scratch.

Aliens still utterly bonkers, though I suspect it makes them closer to the 'real' thing  lol :D

Offline CookAndrewB

• Mastermind
One of the best, if not the best Ship interior I've ever seen made from scratch.

High praise, Brummie. I appreciate it deeply.

I sat and made another 15 various interior greeblies last night. Computers, wall panels, etc. I also made a stencil for putting some lines, arrows, and boxes on the floors. While the posted sections are looking very "complete" I realized that some pieces were/are darn near completely blank. So I took a good look at everything currently built and started coming up with some game plans for how to bring them up to par. I'm guessing that is going to be months' worth of work, which is fine by me.

I do have a battle report to post up, so I think I'm going to try and knock that out today/tomorrow, and then get back to the terrain updates pictures next week.

Offline CookAndrewB

• Mastermind
Newest updates to the engine room. Some sort of fuel cells? Sure, we will go with that!

Situated on either side of the main engines, these may be very explosive if shot. If there is anything that video games have taught me, it is that red barrels go boom if you shoot them!

Closeup, Starboard side.

Closeup of the Port side. The barrels are wooden beads painted up. I like the effect enough that I'll be incorporating more of this in other greeblies.

And the maneuvering room got a set of lockers. The next piece for this room will be a large engine control panel.

More updates tomorrow. I've started working on a couple other hull sections, so I think I'm closing in on the last couple updates on this engine section for a while.

Offline War Monkey

• Mastermind
    • Silo1313
What great work I really like you style of fixtures and painting, is it possible to go into more detail of your work?

Offline CookAndrewB

• Mastermind
What great work I really like you style of fixtures and painting, is it possible to go into more detail of your work?

Sure... what do you want to know?

Maybe this weekend I'll try and get some step by step pictures for a couple different styles of greeblies and do some 15mm furniture build walkthroughs. That could be a fun project, and lord knows I have plenty of stuff to get built!

Offline War Monkey

• Mastermind
    • Silo1313
Wow. it all sounds great I think I would like to see a step by step of your fixtures!

Offline Ockman

• Mastermind
Keep up that good work, Andrew!

Offline number1section1

• Bookworm
Absolutely loving this! 15mm looks so much better with bright colours!
I like that the furniture that you make uses up just the right amount of space for gaming yet looks right.
I would love a tutorial for the furniture if possible?
Keep up the good work this thread is such an inspiration.

Offline CookAndrewB

• Mastermind
Hopefully this isn't too much like "how to paint an owl."

So, here are my typical tools for creating my greeblies. In the picture you can see I already cut out my foam bits for the furniture pieces. I know the wall height is 15mm, so I keep all the builds shorter than that.

This is the dry fit just to make sure all the builds will fit where they are supposed to be.

Ok... so hopefully you follow along with what happened in the interim steps a bit, but the three panels above turned into these. A set of chain hooks, some kind of weird container slots, and just a simple cabinet.

These represent the couple build methods I use frequently, which is to either A) carve into, B) glue onto, or C) both. So the chains are a straight method B. The container slots are a bit of both, and the cabinet is just carved/etched. This PVC foam takes an impression well, so all I do is drag a burnishing tool over the recessed areas.

Add paint...

Paint is simple enough, but application does depend a bit on which method I used above for creating the piece. I try and hit every edge and lip with a bit of wash in the corners to create some depth. Edges of objects get a highlight color, which mostly makes the edge visible from a distance. I don't get too worried about realistic shading or anything. From a distance it works well enough. I really don't dry brush any of these pieces and prefer to just do a quick edge highlight instead. Then I touch up with the base color again if I need it. Mostly this depends on how cooperative my wash was.

Questions? I may have very well skipped some piece of the puzzle, like how to make the greeblies for the little panels. Nothing magical there. Circles were made with various sized hole punches. I use 2-3 different thicknesses of cardboard which looks good when mixed together for something like a computer panel. I don't measure many of the greeblie bits. I just chop and punch and then see what fits where.

I'll add more pictures through the week as I got a lot of good work done on this midships section over the weekend.

Offline number1section1

• Bookworm
Great tutorial! Just one question what foam do you use?

Offline War Monkey

• Mastermind
    • Silo1313
Very Nice Tutorial! Thanks, and yes I too am interested in the type of foam your using and is there a brand that you like better?