Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 20, 2024, 11:47:42 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1689796
  • Total Topics: 118296
  • Online Today: 798
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: 15mm Sci Fi project: Eden- new painted figures 11/11  (Read 93163 times)

Offline Skullhamma

• Scientist
    • 15mm through space and time blog
Simply, spectacular, Andrew! These blending techniques you use are amazing!

Offline CookAndrewB

• Mastermind
    • 3d designs can be found at Thingiverse
There are a few sizes of this foam, but is is PVC sheet foam you are looking for.
2mm and 3mm options here: https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B07WCNPDD7/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1
5mm sheets here: https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B07FF4CH84/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

To give you an idea of its use in larger scale, these are a pair of 1" risers for my 28mm post apoc terrain. They are essentially stands for other terrain pieces to sit on top of and create some height. The walls and base are 5mm foam:

This is a full building. Walls are etched brick pattern and then some texture paste applied like stucco around the crumbled sections. The tiles walls on the let are also etched. The floors are normal foam core with the paper backing peeled off.

Offline CookAndrewB

• Mastermind
Here are a few more items created over the weekend, using the same materials and methods as previously posted.

A locker and odd storage container for the hangar bay:

A look at the new logistics control panel. I was envisioning the screen being like a view of the hangar bay looking out into space.

An overall look at the logistics control office as a whole. I think of these wooden cube boxes as "Ockman boxes" lol:

And a slightly better view of the supply routing terminal:

Because I typically play with my terrain in this orientation, the pieces created this weekend are all in a location where you can see them. Some of my terrain pieces have the ability to be turned around to reveal a different look for the terrain as it then puts into view a different set of walls. It isn't a total overhaul, but enough set change that it works for me. Since I play alone, I usually try to have a background up behind the ships which means I only really play from one edge of the table.

Offline War Monkey

• Mastermind
    • Silo1313
Re: 15mm Sci Fi project: Eden- starship dungeon terrain overhaul 4/28
« Reply #378 on: April 29, 2020, 06:23:22 AM »
Thank you for the links, I will as soon as I can grab some of those sheets.

Part of my problem with my builds is I have the tendency to go too far into the details which make for more longer and difficult builds.  ;D

Hopefully these PVC foam sheets will ease some of that burden, No it's NOT who am I kidding, lol  lol
Just remember "If the Enemy is in range, so are YOU!

http://silo1313.blogspot.com/

Offline CookAndrewB

• Mastermind
Re: 15mm Sci Fi project: Eden- starship dungeon terrain overhaul 4/28
« Reply #379 on: April 29, 2020, 03:24:30 PM »
Here are a few more unpainted pics from the logistics control center. They may be helpful for visualizing the individual components of these builds.

For this panel, I cut away a piece of the foam panel so that the wooden beads would sit back in the panel a bit, vice sitting on the surface. The hope being that it would look like they were inserted into the panel vice just being plopped in front of it.

To help with the fit and stability, I did super glue the beads to the box.

Overall I've found that placing buttons and dials too close together can be troublesome for painting. Though I appreciate and enjoy great detail, sometimes less is more. Standing back from the table two bigger buttons look better than a mess of little ones.

I did want to point out that I try and make these horizontal controls so that a figure can stand up against them with the base sliding under the edge. Since this control panel takes up something like 2x1.5 CM of space I want to limit the amount of interference that has with figure bases . For this build I just used some scrap slivers of foam core.

Offline Ockman

• Mastermind
Re: 15mm Sci Fi project: Eden- starship dungeon terrain unpainted bits 4/29
« Reply #380 on: April 29, 2020, 06:50:19 PM »
Great job, Andrew!

That's awesome!

Offline War Monkey

• Mastermind
    • Silo1313
« Reply #381 on: April 29, 2020, 11:42:04 PM »
Very Nice! I can see where the different chip boards and the varying types of foam board all come together now!

Thank You

Offline CookAndrewB

• Mastermind
« Reply #382 on: April 30, 2020, 02:56:44 PM »
Glad that helped. Sometimes, once the paint is on, it is hard to tell how things come together as it all looks "whole." At least that is my experience.

Speaking of detail, I have completed my maneuvering panel for Engine section 1.

This isn't glued in yet, and I'm still deciding if I want to glue it into the corner or roughly where it is. I also noticed while eyeballing my engine room #2, that I never built three engine sections, so there are three bridges, three midsections, and two engines. Doh! I'll get that fixed in May, and maybe I'll add another Nacelle option that will serve as a second docking bay option.

Another build that is going to go a slightly different direction is my replicator machine. Here it is in the "ready to be turned into a mold" condition.

With this I'm going to use blue stuff to create a push mold. That way I can churn out some uniform and "recognizable" pieces that I can place across my world. With a common paint theme (I'm more than open to suggestions here), they would stand out like a Nuka machine in Fallout, or a Coke machine in the real world. That said, I don't want to use red and white  lol

I had some leftover 2-part (pro create) and so I decided I would make some odd planters for my world. These were the first four (I did six total) examples.

At first I thought I might glue them into my terrain, but they may work well enough as scatter, or perhaps some sort of agricultural shipping container.

I'm likely to be scarce tomorrow as work will be a zoo with end of month reporting from April, but hope everyone has a good weekend and I look forward to posting up some new stuff on Monday!

Offline War Monkey

• Mastermind
    • Silo1313
Some more really great work there, I can't wait to try my hands at your techniques, again I really like your style and approach it's really great!

Offline Skullhamma

• Scientist
    • 15mm through space and time blog
Those plants!!!  :-*

Offline Ockman

• Mastermind
Did you ever play XCOM, the old PC game?

Some of those plants look like the alien plants one could find on alien base missions. Awesome!

Alien plants by Oscar Falk, on Flickr

Offline CookAndrewB

• Mastermind
Thanks, all. I did play X-com, but frankly it has been a while and I can barely remember what I ate for dinner yesterday. I'm sure all that info is on in my skull rattling around, but the more "obvious" source of inspiration was a nature show about sea life that I watched with the family. Sea critters have the best colors.

I should have a nice "reveal" in the next day or two. I am about 80% done with three more scatter pieces and two more buildings. Rather than show partial progress, I'm hoping to wrap them up and just show the final version later this week.

Offline CookAndrewB

• Mastermind
Some new things to show this week. I've been working pretty feverishly to wrap up some old projects that have been languishing for a couple months. So, to start, I finally got some paint on this sculpt:

I forgot how much I enjoy sculpting figures, so I think the current game plan is to start work on a new 3-4 figures, with the ultimate plan being to only be using sculpted figures for my gaming. Sorry this side pic is so blurry. It is hard to tell looking at my phone.

I really like dry brushing a second color over purple for my aliens. This was teal over purple.

I think the alien above is an accidental variation of this fella:

Offline War Monkey

• Mastermind
    • Silo1313
Re: 15mm Sci Fi project: Eden- sculpt painted 5/12
« Reply #388 on: May 12, 2020, 07:39:40 PM »
Those look GREAT! I'm so jealous, some really good work!

Doug 

Offline CookAndrewB

• Mastermind
Re: 15mm Sci Fi project: Eden- sculpt painted 5/12
« Reply #389 on: May 12, 2020, 08:00:01 PM »
Those look GREAT! I'm so jealous, some really good work!

Doug

Thanks, Doug. Making three legged tentacle aliens is a little like the sculpting equivalent of making play dough snakes as a kid  lol