Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 18, 2024, 05:00:17 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1689542
  • Total Topics: 118285
  • Online Today: 646
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: 15mm Sci Fi project: Eden- new painted figures 11/11  (Read 93040 times)

Offline Ockman

• Mastermind
Re: 15mm Sci Fi project: Eden- sculpt painted 5/12
« Reply #390 on: May 12, 2020, 08:18:45 PM »
That is freakin' amazing!

Looking great, Andrew!

Offline CookAndrewB

• Mastermind
    • 3d designs can be found at Thingiverse
« Reply #391 on: May 12, 2020, 10:30:44 PM »
That is freakin' amazing!

Looking great, Andrew!

Thanks, man. I appreciate the feedback. Much more to come this week, though admittedly not more sculpting at this time.

Offline Cacique Caribe

• Mastermind
  • Gelatinous Legal Alien
« Reply #392 on: May 13, 2020, 12:00:37 AM »
Those tentacled guys look amazing!

Offline CookAndrewB

• Mastermind
« Reply #393 on: May 13, 2020, 02:19:34 PM »
I started two new sculpts last night. By which I really mean I twisted up some wire frames and set them in green stuff for an integral base. Never done that before, though I have made bases out of green stuff plenty. I need to grab more wire out of the basement, and then I'll probably twist up two more armatures tonight, before I start slapping putty on. I think most of my sculpts are 3-4 sessions, at least, in terms of how long it takes to sculpt a bit, let it dry, sculpt a bit, let it dry, etc. Maybe one session if I am sculpting a sort of round looking critter without a wire frame.

In the meantime, this is a build I've been working on for quite a while. This is a Garboil Digester (Garboil being Garbage in -> oils out).

These are typically deployed in newly settled colonies because they create energy from the one resource that will be 100% available; biological waste products. A universal constant is that everyone poops! That, along with the precursor to that truth, "everyone eats" and even new colonies create enough waste products to generate a town's worth of energy in a relatively short period of time. In fact, the more people in a town, the more energy this Garboil Digester will create. As a byproduct, the reactor also makes clean water in the process.

Later in a town's lifecycle other means of energy production will spring up, but it is likely that the original Garboil Digester will simply stay online if for no other reason than to continue functioning as a means of ridding the town of waste products.

While molecular recycling might be useful for ridding the town of an old tractor, or a table, there is usually very little needed material in something like a banana peel and therefore it is more valuable as additive to the Digester than for the molecular materials.

Next step will probably be to mount some walkways and stairs to create some height to the terrain. Oh, and lots more little details to pick out, washes, dry brushing, blah blah blah.

Offline War Monkey

• Mastermind
    • Silo1313
Re: 15mm Sci Fi project: Eden- New power plant terrain WIP 5/13
« Reply #394 on: May 13, 2020, 08:39:34 PM »
A very good start on you project, yes catwalks and other levels would be great .
Just remember "If the Enemy is in range, so are YOU!

http://silo1313.blogspot.com/

Offline Ockman

• Mastermind
« Reply #395 on: May 13, 2020, 09:44:14 PM »
Looking great! I'm thinking about building a power plant myself...

Offline Cacique Caribe

• Mastermind
  • Gelatinous Legal Alien
« Reply #396 on: May 13, 2020, 09:58:16 PM »
Wow.  How tall is that station?

Dan

Offline CookAndrewB

• Mastermind
« Reply #397 on: May 13, 2020, 10:04:02 PM »
Looking great! I'm thinking about building a power plant myself...

Seems a useful sort of installation for any community. Unless the theory is that all buildings are skinned in solar collective material, or perhaps every building is powered by a pocket fission reactor, it seems likely that there will be some structure that provides power. I wanted mine to be beneficial, and without value as a military target. No threatening nuclear meltdowns, no plunging the community into darkness. It turns coffee grounds and poop into clean energy in a low cost/high efficiency manner. Blow it up, things get stinky for a minute until a part can be replicated and a hole can be patched, but no explosion and no toxic effects. It would have the same level of "evil" as knocking a book out of someone's hand in a high school hallway. People would think you were irritating for bothering, but nobody would be willing to pay a king's ransom in credits for you to stay your threat. 

Dan, it is maybe 6-7" tall. I haven't really measured it. I believe the base was 7" on the long edge. It was originally attached to another section that made the entire piece 12x6, but I cut them apart for storage. Also, the other piece (a fence and courtyard) really made little sense with this. Cut apart, the fence section looks like a great private landing pad.

Offline CookAndrewB

• Mastermind
« Reply #398 on: May 14, 2020, 08:09:41 PM »
Here is my big terrain dump for the week.

So, I believe this piece was just glued together bits the last time I showed it:

This is part of my starport terrain. I've been envisioning this as a set of small offices and out-buildings for starport staff.
None of the buildings are huge, but they do the job for blocking LOS and providing some interest on the table. Figure for scale:

Along with this piece is the deep space satcom and navigation relay. It is part ground control, part TACAN beacon for ships navigating through local space.

Still lots of work to do on the disk piece, but the base is pretty well finished.

I also picked up some sci-fi scatter bits from Fenris, so I've been working towards getting them on the table as well. The tallest piece is pretty close to 3" tall, I believe.
Little bits and pieces left to touch up and paint, but mostly done:

Offline Ockman

• Mastermind
Great thinking about that processor, I like the low hazard thinking!

That latest set of terrain is really great, love the circular doors and the colours!

Keep up the good work!

Offline War Monkey

• Mastermind
    • Silo1313
Great terrain pieces! The colors are great as well, I need to make somethings like those, again very nice work.

Offline CookAndrewB

• Mastermind
Not a lot of movement on this front over the weekend. Little bits here and there, but largely devoted my hobby time to 28mm post apocalypse stuff.

That said, I did expand my token set: 6 new blood splatters, three new stun, and two new contact markers for 5 Parsecs. This is the full set so far. All on 15mm MDF circles bought in bulk from Amazon.

I also snapped a picture of my 15mm sci-fi figure storage. This is all of my figures, and a good bit of scatter/vehicles, to date. I'm going to keep this project 100% fitting in this drawer for figures. Right now, about 1/3rd of the figures in there are my own sculpts.

I have another five sculpts in progress on my workbench. Pics on those once there is something worth showing. They currently just look a mess as I try to build up the wire dollies.

Offline zrunelord

• Mastermind
    • Picts from the Front
Ooooh Love the markers  ;)

I wish I could put all my stuff in a drawer ... sigh !!!! Is there Drawer of holding , perhaps ???!!!  :D :D :D

Z
http://castrarunis.blogspot.com/

Imagine & you can.
Most see shapes you must see possibilities.
Z

Offline scatterbrains

• Scientist
This drawer picture gives off a nice vibe. Like your miniatures are happy living there  lol.

Offline War Monkey

• Mastermind
    • Silo1313
Very nice work with the disks, and the drawer setup is a great idea, are you using more then just on drawer?