Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 01:32:28 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686604
  • Total Topics: 118111
  • Online Today: 626
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: 15mm Sci Fi project: Eden- new painted figures 11/11  (Read 92042 times)

Offline zrunelord

• Mastermind
    • Picts from the Front
Re: 15mm Sci Fi project: Eden- Bridge #3 painted 6/17
« Reply #435 on: June 17, 2020, 03:40:47 PM »
When I read bridge, I thought along the lines of a girder bridge.... silly me I had forgotten this project of yours.
What a nice surprise I got... it has turned out real nice..kudos my friend....
Both build wise and colours chosen.

What is its size especially the height ? looks quite large... or take a pic with a 15mm
mini in it. I can just imagine Captain Klikk & Mr.Spark  :D :D :D

I would strongly suggest you find an old pc ( preferably one that has the flat cable connectors )
& dismantle it, the wealth of items you would find will be a treasure trove for you.

Do be careful ,you will find also sharp connections and toxic materials but with a bit of common sense and ppe you will have loads of stuff.

Keep it up
Z
http://castrarunis.blogspot.com/

Imagine & you can.
Most see shapes you must see possibilities.
Z

Offline Billchuck

• Scientist
    • Velociengineer.net
« Reply #436 on: June 17, 2020, 06:08:54 PM »
Man, that looks fantastic.

Offline Cacique Caribe

• Mastermind
  • Gelatinous Legal Alien
« Reply #437 on: June 17, 2020, 07:20:01 PM »
I agree.  The project is getting better and better each time I look.  Amazing results!

Offline War Monkey

• Mastermind
    • Silo1313
« Reply #438 on: June 18, 2020, 12:46:26 AM »
Wow that is some great and awesome terrain work and painting!  :-* I see what I need to do I need to make a master set of panels and such and make a master mold for recasting.
Just remember "If the Enemy is in range, so are YOU!

http://silo1313.blogspot.com/

Offline Ockman

• Mastermind
« Reply #439 on: June 18, 2020, 05:57:21 AM »
Whoa! That is awesome!  :-* :-* :-*

Offline CookAndrewB

• Mastermind
    • 3d designs can be found at Thingiverse
« Reply #440 on: June 18, 2020, 04:21:20 PM »
Thanks, all!

Let's see. Questions about size I can answer pretty easily. Wall height (table to top) for exterior walls is 20mm. Interior walls (floor to top) is 15mm. These are mounted on 5mm foam board, so that is where the extra 5mm of height goes in the interior, if you follow. Each section of the ship has a max size of about 8"x11" if I use the entire foam board piece for the floor plan. Some ship sections are smaller, such as Engine section 1 and Bridge 1, which combined are the 8x11" footprint. This, Bridge 3, is a full 8" wide and 11" long, so she is good sized for sure. Openings between hull sections are standard 4". Some midsection pieces are turned sideways so that they are, in effect, 11" wide and 8" long to give the midsection of some ships a bit of girth.

I have thought about busting up some old circuit boards for parts, but have yet to stumble upon anything really useful. It will happen one day! 

My sculpt for today is Rauq, the Lobstah. The Lobstah race isn't really a crustacean in the Earth sense, but does have a natural, segmented, chitin shell. Truthfully, that is about where the similarities end. Lobstahs are a largely agrarian society, mostly farming and eating plants native to their home world. While some Lobstahs end up traveling the galaxy, they haven't developed any indigenous form of space travel and, like many races in the galaxy, they just tend to hop rides rather than try and reinvent the wheel. As farmers, most of their weapons technology was aimed at killing their version of a rodent, or a crop pest species. Again, not really a warring race, as such, they tend to borrow weapons from other races rather than develop their own. They do appreciate, and rather relish, completely vaporizing a small critter trying to nibble in their garden but they bear no ill will towards others of their kind and so their native weapons tech is pretty underdeveloped in the "let's make war" sense. In fact, it is almost impossible for them to view other Lobstahs as a threat at all. Their planet has no concept of murder, but they don't seem to care one way or another about killing outsiders. Other species can be interacted with, but might also be dispatched with little sentiment in equal measure.

A 15mm Predator for scale.

Rauq left his home world in search for new species of plant to farm. A cosmic trip to the greenhouse, if you will. Because of this, he can be a bit distracted by the sight of new plants on new worlds. Can he eat them? Will they grow on his family's farm? Those sort of thoughts seem to supersede any idea like "is something trying to kill me? Should I fight back?" Any crew with Rauq should give him a little while to explore before setting off on any real mission work, lest he become distracted by a new plant. The best missions to take him on are located on barren asteroids, or in ship boarding actions where there is little chance that his "agri-sense" will get the better of him.

Offline War Monkey

• Mastermind
    • Silo1313
Re: 15mm Sci Fi project: Eden- New Sculpt painted 6/18
« Reply #441 on: June 18, 2020, 04:38:23 PM »
You might want to be careful if you use him on a boarding action of a farming supply ship  lol "Oh Look Shiny" factor.

Nice work and paint as well!

Offline CookAndrewB

• Mastermind
« Reply #442 on: June 18, 2020, 07:55:48 PM »
I feel like that is how I become at a "mega grocery." I go in looking for just basic spaghetti noodles and suddenly I'm halfway down the peanut butter aisle wondering if I would like jalapeno sea salt peanut butter. I don't need it, but once I see it I can't walk away without holding it and day dreaming about it for a while lol

This is why I shop Aldi. I don't need 700 choices, I need to just grab noodles and go home!   

Offline War Monkey

• Mastermind
    • Silo1313
« Reply #443 on: June 19, 2020, 05:04:11 AM »
I feel like that is how I become at a "mega grocery." I go in looking for just basic spaghetti noodles and suddenly I'm halfway down the peanut butter aisle wondering if I would like jalapeno sea salt peanut butter. I don't need it, but once I see it I can't walk away without holding it and day dreaming about it for a while lol

This is why I shop Aldi. I don't need 700 choices, I need to just grab noodles and go home!

lol lol lol I do most of the Grocery shopping as well "Oh look Peanuts"  lol lol lol

Offline CookAndrewB

• Mastermind
« Reply #444 on: June 19, 2020, 07:52:56 PM »
This is Mool Bap Reep... or rather "They are Mool Bap Reep." The face hugging alien and its host body.

Mool is the face hugger, and Reep is the host. The word "Bap" in this context most closely resembles the idea of "joined with by destiny" but is more directly translated as "Impregnated by with deception" in the language of Mool.

In the good old days of Mool's people; they simply lurked about until a suitable host came along. Then they filled the host with eggs and used them (hopefully) as a superior mode of transportation for a while until they could lay enough eggs to start a new colony to lie in wait for more hosts. Lather, rinse, repeat.

After a lengthy galactic prosecution (legal, not military) Mool's people were forced to seek written consent before latching onto, and impregnating, victims. At that time, the old terminology was still used for the joining of the species, but the new "joined by destiny" context took root. So, Mool Bap Reep, in the modern understanding, means that Mool is joined to Reep by destiny, in the form of an actual written contract.

So why would Reep have signed a contract to have a face hugger latch on and pump him full of eggs? While financial gain for offspring or family is not uncommon, there are two far more popular reasons. First, Mool's people excrete a series of chemicals that extend life of the host rather than limit it. Since the new eggs require a host body in order to mature and propagate, and since there isn't always a certainty that a new host will wander by and peak inside an egg without simply shooting it, Mool's race evolved to prolong life in a host in order to protect an egg clutch from gun happy galactic explorers, and to occasionally dust the eggs so that they would be intriguing enough to investigate and not simply just pass by as another dusty blob in a corner. So there is the popular aspect of actually prolonging one's lifespan. Second, once attached, Mool's people take over the host body, leaving the host to view all subsequent actions as if they were simply relaxing and watching a movie through the eyes of the face hugger. Once Mool's people had contracts to find host bodies to impregnate and control, they began to go further into the universe and explore. A contract with someone like Mool, who intends to explore and adventure until he finds a suitable place for his eggs, is a little like being invited to watch an amazing galaxy spanning epic. Reep was a loner, a nobody. He was one of untold millions on an over crowded hive world, working as a window cleaner (exteriors only as he couldn't pass his interior window cleaning certifications). He didn't have a good reason to keep working 18 hour days so he could afford his pathetically tiny apartment. So when he saw that Mool was offering buckets of credits to the family member of Reep's choosing, would extend Reep's life by a good 50-100 years, AND would eliminate all of Reep's worldly concerns as he sat back and watched the world drift by in his mind's eye... it was a no brainer. From then on, Mool Bap Reep.

Offline War Monkey

• Mastermind
    • Silo1313
Wow, what a story! I don't know if I would want to give up my free will.

The sculpture and paint work is great, I would love to see many more next week too!  lol lol lol

Offline Cacique Caribe

• Mastermind
  • Gelatinous Legal Alien
Wow.  So what happens to Rep when the eggs hatch?

Dan

Offline StoneMtnMinis

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Librarian
  • When in the course of Human Events
    • Stone Mountain Miniatures, Inc.
Great looking aliens!  You give them enough "back story" that they become plausible.
Dave
Stone Mountain Miniatures, Inc.
www.WargamingMiniatures.com

Sent from my Etch-A-Sketch

Offline CookAndrewB

• Mastermind
Next sculpt is something new for me. Mostly that it actually entails something like "anatomical" sculpting of muscles and not just body shapes. Forgive this first picture, I'm not any more a photographer than I am a sculptor. Sometimes I get lucky, and other times... this.

This is Worm Crusher.

Worm Crusher doesn't have much of a back story right now. He is meant to fill in the role of a Gang's heavy muscle (literally). I think he is sculpted as part Earthworm Jim, part The Crusher (from Bugs Bunny) and part meathead "every day is chest day" gym rat. So I'm just calling him Worm Crusher for now. It works as a henchman name. Who doesn't want to say "Worm Crusher, why don't you show this mook what we do to people who don't pay their debts!" *camera pans to Worm Crusher who folds a motorcycle in half*  :o "So you better have my money by Friday, or I'll let Worm Crusher fold you in half!"  >:(
Something menacing like that.  lol

I believe he stands somewhere in the 19-20mm range and packs a slug thrower that would make a Necromunda Gang smile (it's big). The pictures don't show it very well, but he has a great beer gut that his weapon rests on top of. Predator for scale:

Worm Crusher will probably join my space mafia faction. I think he fits the role nicely.

Offline CookAndrewB

• Mastermind
Wow.  So what happens to Rep when the eggs hatch?

Dan

Well, laying the eggs is one thing. That typically requires some surgery, depending on the species that is being face hugged. Definitely surgery for humans. You do NOT want to try and pass one of those beachball sized eggs.

As for hatching? Well, it used to go like this...

Space Explorer: "Hello there! What is this slimy egg? I should put my face in REAL close because I forgot my glasses and I wouldn't want to miss any small details in the slime. Ha ha! Slime always has the best small details!"

But now it looks more like this...

Space lawyer: "Please read and sign in triplicate on lines 7, 9, 22, 437, and 1008. I'll need you to initial here, here, here and... here. Good. And please speak the name of the beneficiary for your payment into this microphone and we will wire funds in 7-10 business days."

Lawyers take the fun out of everything.  :?