Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 08:54:02 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: 15mm Sci Fi project: Eden- new painted figures 11/11  (Read 92028 times)

Offline CookAndrewB

• Mastermind
    • 3d designs can be found at Thingiverse
Re: 15mm Sci Fi project: Last One Out of Eden - Completed Flora tiles 8/14
« Reply #30 on: August 16, 2019, 06:37:38 PM »
First space dungeon hull section got painted up. I'm probably going to be playing with all of this a bit more until I'm happy with it.

With the doors in place. The idea here is that doors will only be placed where they are locked and need opened. If there isn't a need to take an action, I'll leave the bulkheads open. My experience shipboard was that there are rarely shut doors/hatches. Only in circumstances of security were they locked. Shut for privacy purposes, but it seems lame to play out opening unlocked doors. In my head I can imagine that scenario just fine.

Close up. Doors are double sided, and they are produced by Iliada Games.

I got the general shape done on another bridge option. Something more like a Blockade Runner than the Star Destroyer. I'm not going to do any round sections. Easier to build/glue corners.

The start of a fleet!

Goal for the weekend is to get one full ship created and painted to a gaming standard so I can get in a Five Parsecs game next weekend.

I also managed to get the geological anomalies painted up.

Same pink rocks as in the flora pieces:

As with getting a star ship completed, I want to try and get some gaming tiles painted up. I will need to go get craft paint to complete that as I doubt I'm going to get 4' square area painted with a dropper bottle  lol

Offline Skullhamma

• Scientist
    • 15mm through space and time blog
Re: 15mm Sci Fi project: Eden - update geo tiles and space dungeon 8/16
« Reply #31 on: August 17, 2019, 04:55:37 PM »
A Sci Fi dungeon, yay! This is a fantastic start Andrew ! More, more, more!!!

Offline CookAndrewB

• Mastermind
Re: 15mm Sci Fi project: Eden - update geo tiles and space dungeon 8/16
« Reply #32 on: August 19, 2019, 03:12:52 PM »
Well, I hit my target and the Dropship "Trou" and the first space dungeon are ready to roll. First up, the Trou is about 90% done, but ready to hit the table for sure:

Primed:

Ready to be released from the shipyard. It already has that "lived in" feel.

Nose art for the Trou will go in the panel behind the window on this side. I rather like the feel of the 1/2 height walls.

Jump seats next to the rear door, for those who need to be first out upon landing. Stowage is all removable but there are a few pieces like the seats which are glued in place.

A slightly better view of the jump seats, AND a well marked first aid locker. We aren't interested in losing any red shirts if we can help it.

And because you don't want to mix everyone's dirty clothes, some individual lockers for the crew.

The first couple sets of stowage are all marked up. Maybe a few additional tweaks here and there, but I think these are ready to be looted.

I have pictures of the first large hull, and a few more flora pieces that are ready to be displayed this week, so stand by for some more updates!

Offline CookAndrewB

• Mastermind
Well, Five Parsecs has a nice mechanism for determining what games look like, so for the first game there will be four points of interest and two scrap piles to grab. Since I have a ship built, I'm going to go with the following scenario:

Super Salad knew things were changing. His species normally has a propensity towards laziness, but now his skin was crawling and he could barely sleep because of the thoughts racing through his head. Weeks later he took his life savings, and a hefty loan, and purchased a stripped down drop ship. A glorified grocery cart with enough sub-light speed to easily make the hop from planet to planet within a system; the Trou. He loaded his stalwart companions, three Gruffs that he created the last time he felt this tingling in his bones. Gruffs are loyal, and they smell good... but that is about where their good qualities end. He would need to secure some more crew before he started taking on the big jobs. After taking the Trou out for a test run, Super landed the Trou in a smaller port located on the developing world of Bakwotter. Bakwotter wasn't so wretched, not packed with scum and there was very little villainy about. A place where folks were simply trying to carve out an existence. He breathed deep as the airlock cycled on the Trou. The air was bitter, but breathable. The Gruffs bleated plaintively under their breath. Not even talking to each other, just a simultaneous display of dissatisfaction. Such was the way with the Gruffs.

"Bubba, you are in charge." He extended his hand to scratch the Gruff on the head.

Bubba recoiled and rolled his eyes. "You don't have to tell me my role. Stupid Duz. You made me. Do you forget so easily about this? Perhaps I should be the captain of this crew and you can lay around all day forgetting things. This seems more satisfactory for your talents." The large pink Gruff chewed on a block of minerals with a smug look on his face,;the sound like wet sand being stomped by mag-clamp boots.

"That's right, Bubba is in charge!" Super said with a large grin. The Gruffs were always getting so worked up. Bubba was as good as they get though. He would keep the others in line. Primarily that involved not letting them eat vital components of his new ship.

Several hours, and a few odd tasting liquids later, Super found himself seated in a well lit corner of a cheerily decorated, family oriented, eating establishment. Nothing odd about that, but the company in his booth didn't fit the bill. Across from him was a local boy, a human treasure hunter named Mel. Decked out in an antiquated space suit, Mel claimed to be the best treasure finder this side of the Bakwotter Belt. Super doubted his claim, but when Mel produced a rather complex looking scanner device, Super decided to let the young human tag along. The other guest at the table was an enigmatic scoundrel named Bucket. Bucket said little, and what little was said was difficult to understand. Since Bucket sat menacingly at the table, his suit alternately wheezing and expelling vapors, Bucket assumed that he had agreed to come along for a mission (or at least stay for something called a Bloomin Grunion). Super felt that perhaps Bucket would lend an air of menace to his team in case there was anyone looking to start trouble. The Gruffs were tough and battle capable, but they were fuzzy and smelled of fresh baked cookies. Not threatening. So Bucket would have to do if any intimidation was needed.

The three unlikely companions sat, drinking their liquids and pulling chunks off the Bloomin Grunion, when the manager of the establishment walked up.

"Oh, don't ya boys look just fit to go explorin'! Headed out to da Bakwotter Belt, I suppose? Gonna take a look at that dere ship what transitioned out of Realm Space in da Belt and won't answer any hailing calls?" The Owner stares at the group, his eyebrows raised and a large maniacal smile covers his face. "Ho ho! Not a bunch of talkers? I get ya! Tough guy reputations to uphold! Seeeeeerious bidness that there space explorin'! Ho ho! Yup, I'll let you boys get back to your mission planning there. Seeerious bidness!" With that he turns and moves to the next table. "Ho ho! Little Jim-tron 88! Big number 4?! Girls, bring Jim-tron one of them there birthday battery packs! Let the little guy celebrate! Want a balloon? Ho ho!"

Super wipes the confused look off of his face long enough to process what was just said. "Well... I guess we could go check out that ship? Maybe there is a reward if it is a rescue mission?" 

Offline Ockman

• Mastermind
Re: 15mm Sci Fi project: Eden - Five Parsecs mission setup fluff 8/20
« Reply #34 on: August 20, 2019, 05:52:19 PM »
Love that ship! Amazing work!

Offline CookAndrewB

• Mastermind
« Reply #35 on: August 20, 2019, 07:06:34 PM »
Love that ship! Amazing work!

High praise! Thanks, Ockman.

Offline blacksmith

• Mad Scientist
    • Javier at war
« Reply #36 on: August 21, 2019, 08:56:13 AM »
Love that ship too, really nicely done!

Offline CookAndrewB

• Mastermind
« Reply #37 on: August 21, 2019, 01:19:12 PM »
Love that ship too, really nicely done!

Thanks, Blacksmith!

If that tickled your fancy, then I hope this also gets a nod of approval. The first of my large hull space dungeons! Dropship for comparison:

This is three separate pieces and can be reconfigured as game play dictates. Hoping to have a complete second vessel by the end of August, with the end goal to be three completed, three segment ships (three bridges, three mid sections, and three engine rooms).

A bow to stern perspective. Ignore the WIP control dias. It is a separate piece that still needs worked on.

And the classic Star Destroyer chasing the Rebel Blockade Runner shot:

Crates and such are all scatter and can be moved around.

My first Five Parsecs game will be played this weekend and this will be the ship out of contact in the local asteroid belt circling Bakwotter. Pretty excited to see what caused it to go adrift and radio silent.

Offline Ockman

• Mastermind
Re: 15mm Sci Fi project: Eden - The first space dungeon is ready! 8/21
« Reply #38 on: August 21, 2019, 03:40:59 PM »
Wow.

Wow, wow, wow!!

:-* :-* :-*

Offline War Monkey

• Mastermind
    • Silo1313
« Reply #39 on: August 21, 2019, 04:53:14 PM »
Awesome Work! I really like your work, it has truly inspired  me to do a similar project, I like your dropship concept very much as well, like the idea that it could be used on planet side, as well as being able to dock with a bigger  ship idea.
Just remember "If the Enemy is in range, so are YOU!

http://silo1313.blogspot.com/

Offline CookAndrewB

• Mastermind
« Reply #40 on: August 21, 2019, 05:25:43 PM »
Thanks, guys. It is good to know that at least at the concept level it is sound. I don't think I've seen anything quite like it before so I'm glad it has some appeal beyond my own twisted head lol

Offline blacksmith

• Mad Scientist
    • Javier at war
« Reply #41 on: August 21, 2019, 07:49:32 PM »
Awesome! I wish I could game in that ship. Lots of nods of approval  :D

Offline War Monkey

• Mastermind
    • Silo1313
« Reply #42 on: August 22, 2019, 04:43:27 AM »
I would like to see the rest of your modular  ships concept as it progresses.

Do you have plans to make a couple more smaller crafts as well?

Offline zrunelord

• Mastermind
    • Picts from the Front
« Reply #43 on: August 22, 2019, 12:46:36 PM »
Nice, simple & stackable .
Good job my friend  :D :D :D

Z
http://castrarunis.blogspot.com/

Imagine & you can.
Most see shapes you must see possibilities.
Z

Offline CookAndrewB

• Mastermind
« Reply #44 on: August 22, 2019, 04:46:31 PM »
Yes, I'm planning on making a couple other drop ships, mostly because it was fun and at some point I would like to have a starport setup for my game and that would look a little silly with only one ship.  ;D

The pieces are stackable, with a uniform wall height of 20mm. Max size for segment in this group is 8" by 10", though I will probably get really crazy and make a much larger ship/space station. At the current dimensions I can at least vary the lengths of the ships, and should be able to vary the room configurations by placing different segments in line.