Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 11:02:10 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686467
  • Total Topics: 118101
  • Online Today: 857
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: 15mm Sci Fi project: Eden- new painted figures 11/11  (Read 91997 times)

Offline CookAndrewB

• Mastermind
    • 3d designs can be found at Thingiverse
Oh, 15mm Fantasy is sort of here and there where there is some extra room, 28mm scatter takes up two drawers, and five other drawers are like this (foam inserts) with 28mm figures mostly broken up by faction.

I sat down and did some more sculpting last night. Have the start of an alien packing a heavy weapon, some sort of facehugger alien laying eggs in a body and "driving it" around. A mix between a Flood Carrier Form, and these from a new Rick and Morty episode:

And finally some kind of battle chicken creature thing. I would like this to be a playable character and not just a critter, so I'll have to consider how a chicken might use a weapon  lol
Oh, and I still have my box lugging alien to finish up, but I need to get him mostly painted before I finish the job or I'll have a hell of a time trying to paint between him and his payload. I have already worked out how to stage him, so that much is finished at least.

Got another wire dollie done last night too. A bit more complex (more rigid) than previous dollies. The primary reason for this is to help me push putty around. The really bendy dollies have to be built up quite a bit before they will tolerate moderate lateral pressure without deforming the pose. I'm hoping that a more robust dollie will allow me to build up AND sculpt at the same time. Who knows, it is all a big experiment!

Also, having watched Zrunelord do some compelling giant sized figures for 15mm, I'm thinking that I may try my hand at a couple larger critters or races. I probably won't go 28mm, but maybe push that towards 20-22mm? Like a full head height taller, perhaps, and not double the size.

Offline CookAndrewB

• Mastermind
Some new items to start the week off. First up is the remainder of my tiny sculpted plants in pots experiment. That makes five total plants in pots. Now... to find something useful to do with them!  lol

I also finished up a couple more of my push molded small herbivores, the Turtigrades. Not exciting, perhaps, but this does help to add some color to the table.

And, of course, the resulting issue from mixing plants and herbivores. Three out of Four turtigrades prefer giant leafy jungle plants.

And, lastly, because this guy will show up for scale purposes here, there and everywhere for the rest of the week, I present 80-T.

A relatively standard "lethal response" babysitter/chaperone robot, 80-T was likely bought by some rich family for their daughter's quinceanera, or to prevent playground bullying of a particularly dorky male offspring unit. Whatever the original purpose, now 80-T is stuck on Bakwotter looking for a new gig.

Never designed to be a sales bot, 80-T can be seen accosting young mothers in Forbear with his factory hiring protocols running:

"I am 80-T, chaperone robot with enabled lethal response protocols. Please allow me to demonstrate."
*loud buzzing as dysphasic pulse rifle charges*
"ALERT! ALERT!" *loud sirens split the air, causing splitting headaches and mild nausea in anyone within 20 feet*
"It appears little... INSERT NAME HERE... is in danger of hurt feelings! Stand back, targeting sequence initiated, lethal force is authorized under galactic anti-bullying regulations!" *80-T points weapon at nearest person and stalks menacingly towards its intended victim*
"Do you apologize for hurting ... INSERT NAME HERE... feelings? You have three standard galactic seconds to comply"
*barrel of rifle crackles with energy and the angry red sensor ports throb*

It is about that point that the target of the sales pitch usually vomits from the deafening siren, or runs away in terror. Sadly, 80-T's only response to this is to secure all hostile activity and say, in an oddly cheerful voice, "Demonstration complete! Insert galactic credit card to hire now!"  Then 80-T stands as still as a statue until some other parent and child walk by. It is annoying, but the town has yet to figure out how to get rid of 80-T. They are thinking of paying some offworlder to simply hire the robot and relocate it elsewhere.

Offline Cacique Caribe

• Mastermind
  • Gelatinous Legal Alien
“chaperone robot with enabled lethal response protocols”

LOL.  Just what every father of teenage girls needs to hire, if he wants to ever sleep soundly again.

Offline CookAndrewB

• Mastermind
“chaperone robot with enabled lethal response protocols”

LOL.  Just what every father of teenage girls needs to hire, if he wants to ever sleep soundly again.

Right?! Why doesn't the world already have these?  lol

Offline Ockman

• Mastermind
Haha, what a great backstory! That is one dangerous robot!

Offline CookAndrewB

• Mastermind
And, now for some new sculpts.

I was trying to make this fella a playable race, but instead I think I just managed to create another critter for my world. Could be a mount of some sort? Not totally sure on that yet.

If this is a critter, it may be something that hunts large insects like Short bugs. He has a nice expanding neck pouch, like a Pelican, for scooping up bugs, and a well armored skull for defense/attack purposes. I picture him speeding along like an Ostrich at full sprint with his mouth wide open trolling for large bugs. Maybe a bit like a whale eating krill? In that case, the feathers would be for something like mating and making it look bigger than it is in case there is a potential predator. 80-T for scale.

Next is some sort of alien lobster thing with a heavy weapon. No real backstory or thoughts on this fella. He's just a typical hired gun/starport scum figure. Maybe a bounty hunter, maybe a fugitive on the run? Only time will tell.

Like the critter above, I wanted to play with digitigrade locomotion (like a dog leg, or a bird). I thought both attempts turned out pretty well.

And, 80-T for scale:

I think there are some finishing touches to be done on both figures before paint. This guy needs a face, and I think some armor plating on his stomach and down this back. I'll probably skip touching the arms and legs as I think they came out just right and I don't want to fix them until they are broken.

Tomorrow and Friday will be some more Terrain updates.

Offline zrunelord

• Mastermind
    • Picts from the Front
Re: 15mm Sci Fi project: Eden- Two new sculpts unveiled 5/27
« Reply #411 on: May 27, 2020, 07:33:24 PM »
I like them both Cook.
The dog legs and the pose go together well.

Keep it up
Z
http://castrarunis.blogspot.com/

Imagine & you can.
Most see shapes you must see possibilities.
Z

Offline Cacique Caribe

• Mastermind
  • Gelatinous Legal Alien
« Reply #412 on: May 27, 2020, 08:13:56 PM »
Whoa, I’m really liking that birdie!!!

Offline CookAndrewB

• Mastermind
« Reply #413 on: May 27, 2020, 08:31:12 PM »
Thank you, both. Glad you like them and thank you for the kind words.

Offline War Monkey

• Mastermind
    • Silo1313
« Reply #414 on: May 28, 2020, 04:08:55 AM »
Some really great work and paint work too!
Just remember "If the Enemy is in range, so are YOU!

http://silo1313.blogspot.com/

Offline Ockman

• Mastermind
« Reply #415 on: May 28, 2020, 07:28:22 AM »
Those sculpts look amazing!

I like the lobster especially, awesome sculpt!

Offline CookAndrewB

• Mastermind
« Reply #416 on: May 28, 2020, 02:03:22 PM »
I completed Carl the dock worker last night. As a refresher on Car's back story:
He is the black sheep of the family. While he comes from a long line of navigators, Carl never did like school and couldn't hack his way through navigator college. That said, he grew up around ships, and he loved everything about space travel. But without the degree, and without money, Carl's entire adventure stopped in the dock yards. Because he was a big lad, he was hired to move and load cargo. This was a job Carl excelled at, and he is noted as being one of the strongest loaders in Forbear Spaceport. He's a simple and gentle soul, who likes to put in a full day's work and then unwind with a bloomin Grunion and a glass of Turtigrade milk.

Hanging around in bars with the older Predators, he grew to love the lore and mystique that their ancient culture represented. Without any intended irony, he decided to sport some Predator tribal tattoos, though he isn't aware of what they actually mean, exactly. The dual stripe is the mark for the Predator who holds the kill while a more senior Predator does the ritual skull and spine removal. It might be best translated as "He who tugs the other way."

The white dots are the marking of an older Predator who has admitted his dwindling physical prowess and has given up hand to hand combat in favor of hanging around with a laser cannon and telling stories by the fire. Again, best translated as "Along for the fun of telling tall tales." Carl thinks they make him look badass, but the Predators often chuckle when they see Carl around town.

I was going to build up Carl's arms a bit, but when I saw him at this stage with his interesting Popeye arms, I decided I liked him the way he was. I had, for a time, also considered having him carry the box higher, but I like the reach of his arms. I figure it makes him good at stacking boxes and grabbing things off of the top shelf at a local home improvement store.

Also, I showed this to my wife last night and she immediately asked "What is ARC?" Damn she knows me well enough to know that I've already thought that up too. Advanced Robotics Corp. Just some big faceless corporation that designs a variety of robots throughout the galaxy. It is hard to say whether this is a robot waiting to be unpacked, or a crate of spare parts. Carl doesn't ask questions, Carl moves boxes.

Offline zrunelord

• Mastermind
    • Picts from the Front
Re: 15mm Sci Fi project: Eden- Finished Carl the dock worker 5/28
« Reply #417 on: May 28, 2020, 03:36:49 PM »
Carl doesn't ask questions, Carl moves boxes.

As he should , asking the wrong questions only gets you into trouble. ;)

Keep it up Cookie  :D
Z

Offline Ockman

• Mastermind
« Reply #418 on: May 29, 2020, 03:54:05 AM »
That is a really nice backstory and paintjob! And sculpt!

Offline CookAndrewB

• Mastermind
« Reply #419 on: May 29, 2020, 02:06:33 PM »
Thanks, all! So, today I'm back to terrain. I've been working on some of the star ship dungeon updates, and this week I went back to some planet-side terrain!

Updated house #1.

Starting to add some unobtrusive furniture bits where I can. Started off with some 5mm foam bits. I'll go back and add some 2mm foam items in the halls later. In addition, I've added some alleyway type graffiti and posters on the exterior of the building sides. These buildings, placed side by side, do create small alleys as they are flanked with half sidewalks.

And, the ever present political campaign posters. It seems these are always around my neighborhood.

Onto the inside! A small kitchenette with some shelving storage underneath. The 2mm foam on top of the 5mm foam does create a nice recessed sink area.

A nice over sized couch and bookshelf:

The larger entertainment unit has been previously seen, and helped decide the furniture colors for the rest of the house. The new addition is this odd retro jukebox/AI unit. The pictures don't do it much justice, but the screen has a pixel smiley face. Alexatron-5000 runs the home and thus the gadgets need no switches or buttons.

And a simple set of shelves round out the current work on the home.

I suppose that is all the news worth reporting for the week. More in June!