Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 10:46:23 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686462
  • Total Topics: 118101
  • Online Today: 857
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: 15mm Sci Fi project: Eden- new painted figures 11/11  (Read 91996 times)

Offline CookAndrewB

• Mastermind
    • 3d designs can be found at Thingiverse
Great looking aliens!  You give them enough "back story" that they become plausible.

Thanks, man.

Just looked over your site. Great stuff there! Since you have a lot of ACW products, I thought that you might appreciate that I work directly across the street from General Sherman's childhood home, and now the site of the William T. Sherman museum. We are also one town over from where Philip Sheridan grew up too. Lots of ACW personalities came up in my neck of the woods. 

Offline War Monkey

• Mastermind
    • Silo1313
My Name is "Worm Crusher"! defiantly far better the "Taser Face" lol lol

Very nice sculpture and a good attempt at muscle structure too and the paint work is great too.
Just remember "If the Enemy is in range, so are YOU!

http://silo1313.blogspot.com/

Offline zrunelord

• Mastermind
    • Picts from the Front
I like the great symbiote idea and the mini Cook.
Again I'm going to ask , what do you guys have for breakfast to come up with these ideas ? ;) :D :D

Thanks for sharing
Z
http://castrarunis.blogspot.com/

Imagine & you can.
Most see shapes you must see possibilities.
Z

Offline Ockman

• Mastermind
Love these latest sculpts, they are great!

Offline CookAndrewB

• Mastermind
Z, if I'm eating anything weird for breakfast I might need to point the finger at my wife. lol. I believe it is just creativity, but now you have me thinking I'll pour my own cereal for a while.

Things have slowed on this front again. I started kicking around a WWIII near future modern game in my head, so I've been spending time on that recently. That has been a lot of terrain building, but nothing that translates to sci-fi, unfortunately.

Offline Cacique Caribe

• Mastermind
  • Gelatinous Legal Alien
My Name is "Worm Crusher"! defiantly far better the "Taser Face" lol lol

“Taser face”.  Lol.  Love the reference.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YtAEWQ1z5rI
« Last Edit: June 30, 2020, 05:30:56 AM by Cacique Caribe »

Offline zrunelord

• Mastermind
    • Picts from the Front
Hello again Cook,
Rings a bell  ;)
Z, if I'm eating anything weird for breakfast I might need to point the finger at my wife. lol. I believe it is just creativity, but now you have me thinking I'll pour my own cereal for a while.

When I pointed out to my wife that my 2 front teeth must be growing longer as she is always experimenting new & "exciting" food on me , she retorted " you should feel like a healthy & satisfied guinea pig " .... so I feel your pain. :D :D :D ...

Keep 'em coming
It's always nice to read what others cook up.
Z
« Last Edit: June 30, 2020, 06:39:32 AM by zrunelord »

Offline CookAndrewB

• Mastermind
Well, as it turns out I had sat down and drawn out a crude map a couple weeks back as I wanted to start laying out some different geological features and figure out where/when hills and such might pop up in game play. So the first map is my local region around the town of Forbear. I do apologize that these are painfully small. Hopefully they will resize correctly when clicked on? Regardless, this is mostly my attempt to work through some game background in my head. If you enjoy the fluff, great. If not... I'll be back to poorly sculpting alien things in no time  lol

Anyway, this lays out the currently explored/known area in my game, with much territory to add as the game gets further afield. This also allows me to lay out return trips to particular sites if they need to be explored again. Forbear, the only outpost in the story, sits on the western most edge of the Birbir Savannah. Flatland with some sporadic plant life and a single river running through it as the only reliable source of water for wildlife. To the west of the Birbir lays the Lekmar Steppe, which results in far less large plant life and more arid conditions as it lays further away from the river and in the shadow of hills and mountains further west. The net effect being that rising moist air passing over the mountains dumps whatever precipitation it might have carried long before it gets to the steppe. To the south there is a defined belt of asteroid impacts. This being the equatorial band which is nearest to the asteroid belt. This receives the majority of impacts from asteroids which pull into Bakwotter's gravitational field, and is largely thought of as a "don't go there unless you want to die" zone. Where the river passes into the impact zone it flows into, and floods impact holes and creates a series of lakes with swamp spanning the distance between. As some of these holes have no natural outlet they tend to be stagnant and nasty places. Others flow freely and would be beautiful but for the occasional meteorite strike which obliterates the area for many years before water and life work to return the place to some normalcy.

The Predator reservation is tucked along this belt line, far into the steppe and butting up against the foothills to the mountains. Basically the good settlers of Forbear gave them an armpit to live in. How kind.

Most of my games so far have taken place in the Birbir along the river, which is where most of the homesteads, outside of Forbear, are located and as the river acts as a natural navigational marker for those entering the atmosphere bound for the local spaceport.

And on the topic of space, here is the local sector of the Bakwotter Asteroid Belt.

Mapped asteroids hold a geosynchronous orbit with the planet of Bakwotter, but there are many others that aren't mapped due to unpredictable orbits or because they are simply too small to care much about. Mapped asteroids can be predictably returned to as they will always orient according to Bakwotter's relative position to the star at the center of the local solar system. As best as anyone can figure, the system used to be comprised of a mega planet. Likely it wasn't habitable until after the planet was struck by a second object of enormous mass, likely a comet composed of frozen water. At that point, some fragments of the mega planet had substantial mass to hold an atmosphere. Those closest to Bakwotter may hold a thin atmosphere if they have enough mass. Those smaller objects have likely lost their atmospheres due to low gravitational pull, or simply lost atmosphere to a larger neighbor over time.  As the super planet slowly crumbled and shed chunks of its former self over time, the Bakwotter best stabilized. Those objects too close to the star's gravitational pull were sucked into the star over time. Those without enough attraction to the star were lost as rogue asteroids in deep space. Everything else stabilized into a mostly predictable pattern of travel, though there are the odd collisions and orbital decay that cause subtle shifts over time. Objects that move towards the star are often then caught in Bakwotter's own gravitational field, resulting in a rather active "strike zone" along the planet's equatorial band. Objects big enough to not be influenced by the planet cruise past without issue, and so it is only small to moderate objects that get caught in the pull. No planet killers, just "planet messer-uppers." Results of planetary strikes can be anything from substantial, months' long dust storms to something akin to rainfall or mud showers if a strike should hit a body of water. Near the town of Forbear these are largely the water/mud variety due to their proximity to the large Zentradi Swamp, though the occasional dust storm can blow in.

This mix of water/dust/mud has largely eliminated any species of grass on the planet. Large trees resemble Earth anemone which act as filter feeders when particulate matter falls after an asteroid strike. Smaller plant species serve a similar function by simply trapping organic matter drifting on the dust. Any grass varieties on the planet require great care as they are not native and struggle to survive large scale dust storms and mudfall. Plants on Bakwotter have little value as either food, or construction material, and thus most structures are built through large molecular printing endeavors, or several "self healing" minerals on the planet can serve as a cement which can be ground, formed, and allowed to regain their crystal structure in the new shape. This material is a commonly seen yellow, and has the rather unimaginative name of "Yellotite." Sadly for the universe, the man who discovered it was an under-educated  miner and not a scientist. In a turn of cosmic karma, he did attempt to snort the Yellotite which then conformed to, and crystallized in, his sinus cavity and throat, killing him. Rest in peace, dummy. A pink mineral can also be found scattered throughout the planet, but this largely seems to be what is left over once an Anemone tree dries up and dies. The last bit of mineral as a small stone skeleton marking its passing. Thus, these stones are often found in bunches near living Anemone trees, marking the passage of generations.

No real terrain, gaming, or painting news on this front right now. Just fluff. I should be back at it in a week or two. 

Offline CookAndrewB

• Mastermind
Re: 15mm Sci Fi project: Eden- some new fluff regarding my game setting 7/1
« Reply #459 on: July 02, 2020, 02:16:51 PM »
RIP Dummy!

I feel like I need a town statue commemorating the event  lol

Offline Cacique Caribe

• Mastermind
  • Gelatinous Legal Alien
« Reply #460 on: July 03, 2020, 06:34:11 AM »
I feel like I need a town statue commemorating the event  lol

Until the crazy mob targets it for demolition.

Offline CookAndrewB

• Mastermind
« Reply #461 on: July 21, 2020, 03:08:48 PM »
A few random updates. Frankly I've been putting all my time into a new project because I'm a giant distractable knucklehead  lol

I've been tinkering along with updating my piles of boxes. Adding little bits here and there where there is space. So here are the finished products of a couple of those efforts.

Added the yellow canister with the heat sink fins. This is a gear glued to the top of a wooden bead. Brown bag is just green stuff, and then the green sack is also green stuff... which I painted green  :` Well, it is what it is.  lol

Added the blue canister on the left, the striped canister in the middle, and the random R-2 style droid head on top of the box. Still lots of room here.

Added the orange canister. Again, still some room to add more.

And a group shot for sci-fi shipping clutter fun!

Next up I've been working on a set of ten genre/scale agnostic cave tiles. I finally have the first three painted:

And, not sci-fi but some 15mm figures for scale:

I figure set dressing will define the genre and scale. Otherwise the caves are just dirt and rock. For the purpose of my sci-fi gaming, I imagine this will serve as the interior of an asteroid mining operation.

Offline zrunelord

• Mastermind
    • Picts from the Front
Re: 15mm Sci Fi project: Eden- scatter upgrades and cave preview 7/21
« Reply #462 on: July 21, 2020, 03:29:00 PM »
Just another bug hunt, then !!! ;)

Wow love the tunnels, as you say they can be used in scifi also... Bug hunt....
May I suggest you make the walls stronger with expansion foam, just squeeze a few blobs here & there
then spread it with a butter knife or something similar.... and let it foam....
Remember small blobs as it can take over...

Then simply wash it with inks.

Z

Offline Brummie

• Mastermind
  • Incoming!
« Reply #463 on: July 21, 2020, 03:32:35 PM »
Those caves look slick! Getting Klendathu flashbacks all over again....

Offline Red Orc

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Baffled but happy
    • My new VSF blog:
« Reply #464 on: July 21, 2020, 04:33:29 PM »
Those caves look slick! Getting Klendathu flashbacks all over again....

I was expecting Daleks. Always Daleks...