Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 06:31:57 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: 15mm Sci Fi project: Eden- new painted figures 11/11  (Read 92019 times)

Offline CookAndrewB

• Mastermind
    • 3d designs can be found at Thingiverse
Re: 15mm Sci Fi project: Eden- scatter upgrades and cave preview 7/21
« Reply #480 on: July 30, 2020, 06:06:05 PM »
I got the black surroundings painted on my cave tiles painted last night, but didn't get to the stone highlights as I got all distracted by a different project. I should have it all painted and put together with some set decoration for Monday. I've also got my next 15mm sculpts in mind, so that should be a down and dirty sculpt/paint over the weekend. I need (need? maybe "want" is better) some space ghosts. Not the guy with the TV show, though that would be cool, but mostly just some apparitions. I have a bit of fluff floating around in my head about mining space ore, ghosts in the caves... So I'm going to try and get my act together to do that up by Monday.

Tomorrow is a day off with the wife to celebrate our 22nd wedding anniversary. She is a patient woman! lol

Offline zrunelord

• Mastermind
    • Picts from the Front
« Reply #481 on: July 30, 2020, 06:13:25 PM »
You could try making them with a hot glue gun.
You can find glitter glue also for that scifi look. :D
Z
http://castrarunis.blogspot.com/

Imagine & you can.
Most see shapes you must see possibilities.
Z

Offline CookAndrewB

• Mastermind
« Reply #482 on: August 03, 2020, 09:28:47 PM »
At some point the hot glue gun will come out for a few space blobs. I feel like a good ventilation blob infestation would be a fun game. Energy weapons would damage the blobs but physical weapons have a chance to simply split the blob into more blobs lol

Hopefully I'll have some time to post up pictures later in the week.

Offline CookAndrewB

• Mastermind
« Reply #483 on: August 04, 2020, 06:01:30 PM »
With the new "asteroid caves" terrain, I wanted to have some ore specters. Sat down and did a quick and dirty sculpt:

The basic idea is that a particular disease is brought about by inhalation of some rare ore dust in the caves. The end result is death of the individual, and the birth of an ore specter. In my head these will be a bit like the ghost soldiers in the Netflix movie Spectral. If you haven't seen the movie, it is decent for what it is. Pictures of the lot painted up to follow shortly.

I've had this on the table for a while, but wasn't sure what it was turning into. Right now it is just another critter for some background character. A grazing animal something like an Earth camel, perhaps. Since much of Bakwotter is arid, the need to store water while wandering the steppes and savanna would be helpful.

I think it has some interesting bug/reptile style features as well, so it doesn't feel as simple as just being a space camel. The arrangement of the eyes allow it to watch for predators while also focusing on foraging. It also never hurts to have an eye on the heavens as asteroid strikes are very common in the area where this little fella likes to graze.

Size comparisons:

I should have a handful of painted sculpts ready for posting later this week or early next.

Offline War Monkey

• Mastermind
    • Silo1313
Re: 15mm Sci Fi project: Eden- New sculpts WIP 8/4
« Reply #484 on: August 04, 2020, 09:12:40 PM »
Nice work! I have to work on some spooky creatures not just for Sci-Fi games but for Pulp games as well!
Just remember "If the Enemy is in range, so are YOU!

http://silo1313.blogspot.com/

Offline CookAndrewB

• Mastermind
« Reply #485 on: August 04, 2020, 09:24:22 PM »
Nice work! I have to work on some spooky creatures not just for Sci-Fi games but for Pulp games as well!

I'd like to think of them less as spooky, and more like the aftermath of catching asteroid black lung. lol. I imagine there are conversations like:
Miner #1: Did you hear about old Jerry?
Miner #2: No... did he get drunk and forget to come to work again? That guy is useless.
Miner #1: Far worse. He ended up catching a case of the ore lung. Poor guy.
Miner #2: Oh, so it will be like the old Jerry? He's around somewhere, not helping lug the ore out of the mines?
Miner #1: And he glows! Though, to be fair, Jerry did have that bout of the 'Glowies' from sleeping off a bender next to the cracked engine shielding of that Trilaxian ore barge. So, I suppose, Uh... he glows blue now and not yellow!
Miner#2: Well la-dee-dah. Isn't Jerry just coming up in the world. Grab the plasma rifle in case the Ore Specter formerly known as Jerry decides to ACTUALLY show up to work. Wouldn't that be the way? I don't have time for this crap, I have a litter of 19 getting ready to hatch next Thursday and the Missus won't take kindly to me getting turned into an Ore Specter. She'll just say I'm trying to get out of watching the kids. Ugh. Stupid Jerry. Hope I get to be the one to vaporize his ghost. 

Offline Cacique Caribe

• Mastermind
  • Gelatinous Legal Alien
« Reply #486 on: August 05, 2020, 05:26:41 AM »
I don't have time for this crap, I have a litter of 19 getting ready to hatch next Thursday and the Missus won't take kindly to me getting turned into an Ore Specter. She'll just say I'm trying to get out of watching the kids.

I love it!

Dan

Offline CookAndrewB

• Mastermind
« Reply #487 on: August 05, 2020, 02:41:55 PM »
Some more terrain doodles. Many times a day my puppy requires long walks, and as we walk I've been grabbing walnut halves with the idea that they might make for something fun. At first I just thought they might make for a rock or mineral structure of some sort, but then I remembered I had some aquarium plants that I've been itching to use, so I did a bit of a mash up. So these are going to be a little like a fan worm of some sort:

Fan worm:

Fan worms of Bakwotter:

Rather than being tall and lanky, my worms will (at least at the surface) appear a bit more squat and rotund.

With the fan deployed:

With asteroid strikes come "rain" as water, mud, and vegetable matter get blown high into the atmosphere and slowly return to the ground. This constant cycle of strikes and muck falling from the sky has developed a number of odd terrestrial filter feeders on the planet. Both plants and animals that can take advantage of this unusual manner of distributing nutrients and water.

Side view:

Since these are animals, the fan worms of Bakwotter (FWOB) also use their fans a bit like a venus fly trap, able to snare unsuspecting critters who step up to take a sniff of the vaguely sweet scent that the worms put off. Humans might describe it like being a couple blocks downwind from a cotton candy machine. They might also describe being devoured by a fan worm like being wrapped in thick sliced bologna smeared with honey and digestive acid. It has all the makings of an annoying experience similar to wearing wet denim or stepping in dog poo right before entering a church.

As we speak, bases and worms are block colored. I should get to dry brushing and getting the fans fixed in place tonight or tomorrow. 

Offline Warren Abox

• Scientist
    • War In A Box - New Location!
Re: 15mm Sci Fi project: Eden- Fan Worms 8/5
« Reply #488 on: August 05, 2020, 06:55:52 PM »
Bakwotter?

That is genius.  Totally stealing that name for my own projects.

Love the fanworms, too.  A strange species that feels alien and unique.

Offline CookAndrewB

• Mastermind
Re: 15mm Sci Fi project: Eden- Fan Worms 8/5
« Reply #489 on: August 07, 2020, 06:19:46 PM »
The fan worms are all painted up:

The aquarium plant material was a little stubborn in regards to being glued in place, so I'll probably end up figuring out how to pin them in the future. I have an idea for what to do when that comes to pass, but for now they will be an interesting little bit of scatter terrain until they demand more attention.

Close ups:

Nothing does "organic texture" like nature  8)

I haven't pulled these guys off their cork handles yet, but decided to snap a picture of them anyway.  I think they will show up in a game this weekend.

Offline CookAndrewB

• Mastermind
Re: 15mm Sci Fi project: Eden- Fan Worms and sculpts painted 8/7
« Reply #490 on: August 10, 2020, 08:53:40 PM »
I have this little fella that I sculpted up a while back. It is a bounty hunter from a particularly nasty race of sentient space eels. They have a single pair of appendages which are really more closely related to an elephant trunk than a leg. The "foot" of the trunk does allow for a kind of bipedal movement, but they are more likely to slither like a snake... er, "land eel." The trunk appendages are fairly universal in their functionality. They are used for smelling, tasting, eating, "hearing" and operating tools and weapons. While these aliens have a vestigial lip flap, they have no true mouth.

Communications are predominantly handled through their helmets, which have a series of directional microphone/speakers which allow them to hear in 3d similar to an owl as the helmet is directly wired into the brain. Hearing through the feet is more a matter of detecting vibrations in the ground or touched objects, and the species has a "drum organ" by which they can communicate through most solids/liquids with others of their species and some select other species in the galaxy like the Amoebae like species which are also able to speak through vibrations undetectable to the human ear. The helmet also allows for decent eyesight to overcome their naturally underdeveloped visual organs. They breathe directly through their skin, like an earthworm, and can take advantage of oxygenated liquids for respiration.

Because they smell through their trunk/feet they favor crystalline weapons because they have no flavor as compared to a metallic slug thrower which tastes of oxidized materials, oils, and the metal itself. This weapon is a device which amplified the drum organ to create a sound blast similar to a Weirding module of the Fremen. Those who have been on the receiving end of a blast describe it as being similar to having your organs liquefied by a house party full of convulsing DJs. And not the good kind either. Like the guy who says he is a DJ but has never had the talent to earn a paying gig. Like three hundred of them got together, and had a seizure while trying to lay down some "sick beats." 

Offline Cacique Caribe

• Mastermind
  • Gelatinous Legal Alien
Re: 15mm Sci Fi project: Eden- new painted sculpt and fluff "Space eel" 8/10
« Reply #491 on: August 11, 2020, 05:36:14 AM »
Those fan worms look incredible!

Dan

Offline CookAndrewB

• Mastermind
Re: 15mm Sci Fi project: Eden- new painted sculpt and fluff "Space eel" 8/10
« Reply #492 on: August 11, 2020, 06:15:42 PM »
Based on one of Ockman's recent graffiti pieces, and a subsequent bit of fluff written by me, I have created a new sculpt. Here is the important bit from Ockman's thread:

My reply:
I imagine the paper next to him reads:

"Wanted: Happy Crow, the Butcher of Derulium Prime. Crime: The murder, without believable cause or plausible reason, of ten thousand children on planet Orphanarium-7. Last seen floating above horrified onlookers in the biggest skin blimp anyone has ever seen. Bounty 250,000 Galactic Credits. Please report all sightings to Crime Spotters, Deltu Nu Quadrant. Considered dangerous, do not approach. Further Communication follows: Congratulations! The Reward for a new, verified, galactic record in the category Lighter than atmosphere conveyance constructed of organic being encasement can be claimed by one Happy Crow (AKA the Butcher of Derulium Prime) to be received in person at the main office of Ripley-tron-9000, Official record keepers of Believe it, OR ELSE! (between the hours of noon and five pm, Monday through Friday)."

Just saying... I don't trust that smile.

My attempts to bring Happy Crow, the Butcher of Delerium Prime, to life:

I really wanted to try and keep the sculpt true to the graffiti, but to be honest I was just sculpting from memory, so "close enough" will have to do. I knew he needed to be a bit rotund, and I wanted to try and keep the feet in that odd circle shape with stick legs (as birds are want to have).

The weapon is a sponson gun for a 15mm scale (not Warhammer) tank. It seemed to just fit into the chunkiness of the sculpt and still have an air of being lethal. As the image above shows Happy crow with a tan head and green body, I'm almost tempted to stick with that. Like the graffiti wasn't simply painted in black line over a green and tan building, but those are Happy's true colors as a galactic coincidence. Plus, I suck at painting blacks in any way that doesn't look like garbage. This way I can keep the black mouth line and black eyes! One green shoe and one tan. I'm also thinking I may spatter blood on Happy Crow, and the red blood will look great on the tan/green scheme where it won't really look like much on the black. Well, that seals it! The pack can be orange and white, with some shipping paint. That always feels very sci-fi.

This was a fun little one-shot sculpt. Happy is around 12mm tall and maybe about that wide wing-to-wing. A round little ball of murder soon to grace my world.

Offline CookAndrewB

• Mastermind
Re: 15mm Sci Fi project: Eden- new sculpt "Happy Crow" 8/11
« Reply #493 on: August 11, 2020, 06:36:56 PM »
In other news, I whipped up an asteroid surface for an upcoming game. This is a WIP pic so you can see how the surface integrates with the cave entrance.

I figured that the asteroids were maybe largely balls of brown dirt with a grey "lifeless" dust coating over them. At some point I may make a larger asteroid surface to play on, but for the purpose of getting in and out of the cave, I thought this was ample. In the bottom right corner will be a small mining company landing pad which will serve as the deployment point. At the edges the asteroid base is about 2mm thick, and next to the cave base it is three-ply cardboard at 6mm in height. Not too bad to gradually step it up to match. The largest impact crater is layered up old acrylic paint that I cut into wedges and glued around a circle. Then I smeared the inside of the circle with some texture paste to get the "cup" and added more texture paste around the outside edges to blend in any sharp lines and fill big gaps. Sprinkle some gravel around and call it done. Smaller craters were made just using built up texture paste. The effect is ok, but not as dramatic. It is good enough. considering I'm not really sure how often I'll use this terrain piece. I think that I will probably add some service hoses and pipes later down the road. Maybe some mining supplies staged to go into the mines.

Offline Ockman

• Mastermind
Re: 15mm Sci Fi project: Eden- new sculpt "Happy Crow" 8/11
« Reply #494 on: August 12, 2020, 09:12:49 AM »
That is brilliant!