Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 05:41:29 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690801
  • Total Topics: 118351
  • Online Today: 947
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: An Ongoing Complaints Thread, All Grumblers Welcome!  (Read 1067 times)

Offline Kommando_J

• Mastermind
An Ongoing Complaints Thread, All Grumblers Welcome!
« on: July 12, 2019, 04:49:47 PM »
One thig I have awlays loved about this forum is that the threads are on the whole postive and full of happiness and good advice...but to be frank, sometimes that just doesn;t do it for me.

In the same vein as the ongoing LAF Games Workshop thread I thought I might start a new thread for complaints where we can happily and safely vent our spleens on whatever hobby-related thing is bothering us without it effecting good threads or indeed,  the top quality of the forum as a whole.

I would humbly ask that the admins sticky this if they think it is a worthy idea.

Also please no swearing or personal insults, or targeting of individuals.

I can get blaming an individual if it can be proved he say, ruined a range/caused major changes but don't ''pull a 4chan'' and just start hating on  army book writers etc. because they aren't doing things how you would have done.

Offline Kommando_J

• Mastermind
Re: An Ongoing Complaints Thread, All Grumblers Welcome!
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2019, 04:51:02 PM »
And in the spirit of things I shall go first (no surprise there lol).

I have recently decided on a new project having become inspired by the historical-blanchitsu facebook group, ''ancients28'' having narrowed it down to either the French/Indian War or the Crimean war I went online and hit up my usual go to of warlord games.

I was unhappy to find changes have now been made to both ranges and not for the better, prices have gone up, a lot of the Crimean range has now been taken out of service so I went to check on the F&IW stuff only to find something I regard as just ludicrous, this boxed set:

(https://store.warlordgames.com/collections/french-indian-war-1754-1763/products/rogerss-rangers)

All of the ranger packs are £10 for 6, here we get 10 plus one new sculpt and for some reason...a wolf mini, for £18, not a bad deal but damn annoying as the boxed set is a mix of minis from all four colonial ranger packs so the completionist in me cant just buy the set and say, two blister packs, why it couldn't have just been two packs plus roger and the wolf is just beyond me.

A strange gripe I know, but still oddly annoying as a ranger force would have been perfect for what I had in mind but i'd rather not by all four packs and get the boxed set just for roger and his doggo as it would leave me with ten minis I don't need and warlord no longer do bits orders.

Offline N.C.S.E

• Scientist
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2019, 06:10:39 PM »
In a similar vein to the poster above - I'm here to grumble about Battlefront's pruning of their Flames of War range.

It used to be that Battlefront had maybe the most complete range of WW2 infantry and vehicles in 15mm of any company in the world. Their blisters came in platoon packs which are ideal for someone wanting to do Chain of Command in 15mm - one purchase and your base force is set.

Since the start of the year however I find that maybe the majority of their sets have been pruned. I'm currently collecting Soviets and I think they are some of the worst hit, with early, mid and late war sets being replaced by a generic plastic mid war set whose figures have all the character of blocks of wood. Compared to the old metals which had a vast array of poses and uniforms (I care about such things), this new stuff looks like a sad come down. Vehicles are equally badly hit, with some unique things unavailable elsewhere gone as well. Adding to my German collection is somewhat easier, but numerous things have also been pruned.

Flames of War has been on the way out for some time now (it never should've got its hold on the market in the first place - in my opinion the way the game works is simply garbage - but that's another story), but it seems Battlefront in removing half their stock and everything that made their figures worthwhile have only managed to make themselves further irrelevant. I suspect only Team Yankee keeps them afloat now.

Online Silent Invader

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2019, 06:25:36 PM »
My understanding is that the GW thread isn’t a bin for complaints but a hiving off of GW discussion, whether it be positive or negative.

I’d like to complain about threads like these, as focussed  entirely on the negative, they can change the nature of a place.

:)
My LAF Gallery is HERE
Minis (foot & mounted) finished in 2024 = 32
(2023 = 151; 2022 = 204; 2021 = 123; 2020 = ???)

Offline Westfalia Chris

• Cardboard Warlord
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Brain
  • Elaborate! Elucidate! Evaluate!
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2019, 06:48:10 PM »
My understanding is that the GW thread isn’t a bin for complaints but a hiving off of GW discussion, whether it be positive or negative.

I’d like to complain about threads like these, as focussed  entirely on the negative, they can change the nature of a place.

:)

That, in essence. Sometime I really think you folks intend me to unlodge my eyeballs from all the rolling.

As SI said, the GW thread is not a rant thread, but may appear so since any unfocused discussion (i.e. not properly hobby-related) has a very high probability of going there, just because the company tends to polarise the community to such an extent.

Note that specific, constructive criticism can serve a purpose, but IT WON'T END THERE, or even stick to it.

I don't think that a rant-only thread serves any productive end (even for venting), and frankly, I am already busy enough with moderating those that don't do it on purpose ab initio. I've stopped visiting fora that allow or actually foster such threads and I have no intention of letting this fly on here.

With a heartfelt tsk tsk tsk, slippery slope, thin end of the wedge and five quid into the phrase piggy bank, this thread is hereby locked.