Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 23, 2024, 10:33:26 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: [Question] Baltic crusade guest knights shields/tabards/banners etc.  (Read 1240 times)

Offline von der Tann

• Scientist
  • "Viel Feind - viel Ehr!" - Georg von Frundsberg
Ok guys, maybe you can help me. What I want/need is a list of knights who went to Prussia to fight the pagans as guests of the Teutonic Order.
I found books online that give names (it is basically a list of expenses by the Teutonic Knights ... cheers for bureaucracy). Now that could be a starting point to research shields, tabards, banners etc.
While I think I could find my way through German knights ... I am quite at a loss when it comes to Scottish, English, French, Bohemian, Flemish and god knows who else knights.
I found several plates online that give shields designs for the battle of Tannenberg in 1410, but I have no idea how accurate they are. There is no source given.
I also have all the Osprey book(let)s and other books, so there is a base. But in there are mostly pictures or plates of famous knights, like the English king or the French one.
I am more after the "Average Joe" knight fighting in the baltics.

So there you go. My "problem". Anyone got an idea? Or a book suggestion? Thanks in advance.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2019, 10:07:55 PM by von der Tann »
"Viel Feind - viel Ehr!"
(Georg von Frundsberg, 1473 - 1528)

Offline Ragnar

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
Re: [Question] Baltic crusade guest knights shields/tabards/banners etc.
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2019, 08:57:37 PM »
Following.
Gods, monsters and men,
Will die together in the end.

Offline Khmorg

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2019, 04:22:48 AM »
Tiesenhausen

Offline Byblos

• Mad Scientist
  • Les Echelles du Levant ...
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2019, 08:54:48 AM »
Maybe this can be of help !?

The French lord Gaston de Foix (Aka Gaston Phébus) made the Baltic trip ...

Offline von der Tann

• Scientist
  • "Viel Feind - viel Ehr!" - Georg von Frundsberg
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2019, 12:02:29 PM »
Yes Byblos - that is very helpful.  :)

Where is this from? Is there more where it came from?

So far I am stuck with my own research results (as mentioned Osprey books, one or two other books and the internet) and have come up with this:

Also, if you see any mistakes, drop me a line. This is not perfect and I am quite unsure about some shield designs. Or the information I can find. How come that Rutger III Raitz von Frentz took part in 35 (!!!!) crusades but we don't know his year of birth or when he went to Prussia/Lithuania?  o_o
The texts are mostly from such reliable sources as wikipedia. So I am aware of the scientific weaknesses this little project has. I was thinking of citing the sources ... but then ... this is only for a hobby.

I am also trying to redo all the shields to possibly use as decals. The shields are kept on my computer as some rather large *.png files.

If there is any interest in this, send me some Crusader name with his coat of arms and I will enlarge the selection. Maybe even sort them by country ... or year ... not sure yet.
Anyway. Enjoy.