Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 05:05:26 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690828
  • Total Topics: 118354
  • Online Today: 861
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Russian flags in the Crimea?  (Read 1186 times)

Offline Antonio J Carrasco

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mad Scientist
Russian flags in the Crimea?
« on: July 13, 2019, 11:08:37 AM »
Hello

I had promised myself not to start a new project before finishing my Indian Mutiny armies, but then WI included a frame of Warlord's Russians for the Crimean War and I made the mistake of painting them... So I couldn't help myself and ordered one Russian battalion from Nick at Northstar (Great War Miniatures Crimean range).

However, I have a small problem: I don't know how many flags carried the Russians, per battalion. I am guessing that just one, but not sure. Also, I see that there was different patterns (at least, that is what it is shown at GMB Designs website) but which one was the most common?

Thanks in advance!

Offline nicknorthstar

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
Re: Russian flags in the Crimea?
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2019, 12:47:50 PM »
Hi Antonio

Thanks for the order.

I think it's one flag per unit for the Russians, and there is a particular flag that is the most common.

It's this one:

That flag is by Adolfo Ramos, we used to stock that range so our painted Russians are carrying that paper flag.

We're starting a new range of Crimean War flags with Battleflags, starting with the British:
http://www.northstarfigures.com/list.php?man=20&cat=175&sub=231&page=1

Offline ARKOUDAKI

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2019, 01:38:25 PM »
Like in the Napoleonic Wars, I believe it is two flags...a regimental one and a Colonel's color.

Offline Emir of Askaristan

• Mastermind
    • My Blog
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2019, 10:24:06 PM »
I've been looking into this myself and agree with Nick - one flag per battalion.

I'm away from home at the moment but I am sure that was what was described in the Osprey on the Russians.

Offline Antonio J Carrasco

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mad Scientist
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2019, 11:36:33 PM »
Thanks for the info. I half-remembered that it was one per battalion, but wasn't sure.

Offline Siaba

• Scientist
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2019, 08:29:06 AM »
Anyone get informations about russian flagstaff colors ?
"The enemy? His sense of duty was no less than yours, I deem. You wonder what his name is, where he came from. And if he was really evil at heart. What lies or threats led him on this long march from home. If he would not rather have stayed there ... in peace. War will make corpses of us all."

Offline ZaOtlichiye

• Student
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2020, 09:30:05 PM »
A late answer, but I hope it helps.
I'm not aware of any research beyond Viskovatov. A good translation by Mark Conrad can be found at: http://www.marksrussianmilitaryhistory.info/

Since 1834 the first regiment of the division would have straw yellow, and the second white. The third, in the grenadier divisions, would have coffee brown. The carabiner and jaeger regiments would have black.