Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 08:18:30 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690603
  • Total Topics: 118339
  • Online Today: 866
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: No such thing as a daft question...  (Read 1217 times)

Offline Harry Faversham

• Galactic Brain
No such thing as a daft question...
« on: July 14, 2019, 06:49:54 AM »
Did the Persians paint their arrow shafts in bright and colourful tones, or would they have been a plain and wooden stick like thingy?

???
"Wot did you do in the war Grandad?"

"I was with Harry... At The Bridge!"

Offline Big Martin Back

• Scientist
Re: No such thing as a daft question...
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2019, 08:31:39 AM »
Given the throughput of arrows in an army with plenty of archers, one suspects that an extra (and pointless) job of painting them wouldn't happen.
Tutenes, Atque Cujus Exercitus?

Offline dadlamassu

• Mastermind
    • http://www.morvalearth.co.uk
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2019, 09:44:02 AM »
I have no evidence for ancient Persian arrows but it is reasonable to assume that if they were constructed in large quantities for military use the war arrows would have some sort of protection so that they are not be affected by storage or transport for long periods of time.  In addition, once issued it is again reasonable to say that the arrows need some sort of protection to prevent softening from rain, fog or condensation. Thus it is likely that traditional finishes would be a local paint, varnish or wood working lacquer. In storage the arrows would probably deteriorate and so repairs might be necessary and any coating would also need to compatible with the glue used to attach arrowheads, fletchings and nocks.

Being manufactured in large numbers might mean that the factory or arsenal needs to be identifiable.  Or the maker wants to advertise, or the owner/purchaser wants his arrows identifiable to discourage theft etc.  So the shaft may be painted in a single colour with or without rings of different colours in a unique arrangement may well have indicated the maker or owner of the arrow.

So plain wood colour (lacquer/varnish), painted single colour or wood with coloured rings, or painted with coloured rings are all possible.  Who knows?  It is your army paint them as you like.
'He could have lived a risk-free, moneyed life, but he preferred to whittle away his fortune on warfare.'
-- Xenophon, The Anabasis

Offline Sir Barnaby Hammond-Rye

• Mastermind
    • The Tekumel Project
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2019, 02:03:02 PM »
Good points, Dadlamassu:)

Offline swiftnick

• Mastermind
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2019, 03:12:52 PM »
Sounds reasonable and would look cool

Offline Harry Faversham

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2019, 08:53:07 PM »
Who knows?  It is your army paint them as you like.

Thanks dadlamassu that'll do for me!
I've just got WI's Leonidas figure and the shield's doing mi' melon in. it's going to look a tad big, round and bronzey whatever you do with it. So I'm thinking 300...
couple of chopped in half, bright blue, Persian 'arrers stuck in it?

:)