Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 02:49:49 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686663
  • Total Topics: 118120
  • Online Today: 815
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Setting the East Ablaze -- need help on firing  (Read 1770 times)

Offline destofante

• Student
Setting the East Ablaze -- need help on firing
« on: July 15, 2019, 11:31:22 AM »
I am devouring the rule book -- great work! It is getting me very excited about playing the period.

But I stumbled on something as basic as the firing procedure. Maybe a midsummer loss of brain, maybe I am just used to a different style of games... How does it work? Could anyone illustrate it to me with an example?

The way I read the Weapons Table (10.7 in the second edition): based on the available weapon, each figure rolls one die and depending on the range, a certain score results in a hit.

(A) Example: a unit of six regular ("normal") figures with rifles all shooting at a target at 6". They will roll six dice (one for each figure), scoring a hit on 4,5,6 (because of the effective range).
Am I correct so far?

(B) Do modifiers apply to the dice rolled? To continue the above example: if the firing six figures were ambushing, +1 would apply to each die rolled (for instance, a 3 would become a 4, resulting in one hit).

(C) But what about rule 10.12, "Need more than a 6 to hit"? This makes me wonder, do the modifiers apply NOT to the roll of dice, but to the base chance to hit? In which case, though, why the ambush modifier is a plus, not a minus? If the fire modifiers apply to the dice roll, what modifiers affect the base chance to hit?

Either I am very confused, or making things way more complicated than they should be. Thank you for any help you can share!

Offline stefanov

• Bookworm
Re: Setting the East Ablaze -- need help on firing
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2019, 09:30:55 AM »
Hi destofante,
imagine you start with a to-hit of 5-6, then you have a -2 on the table.
If then your best possible die roll of 6 would become a 4. This is the case where you would need to throw a 7 with a D6,
to get a 5 score. The ruleset tells you that in these cases you need to throw two dices, you require first a 6 then a 4,5,6.
I hope it makes sense to you.
Cheers,
Stefano

Offline Ignatieff

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2019, 10:18:01 AM »
Hi destofante,

The author here.  Thank you for your kind words.

Stefano is correct.  The system is all played off D6, with logical +'s and -'s, depending on the usual factors like cover, etc.  So in the case of the ambush, say it was a normal 4-6 to hit, then you add one to your dice throw, meaning it effectively becomes 3-6 to hit.  If having worked out your modifiers you need more than a 6 to hit, you need a 6, then on an additional dice throw a 4,5,6 for a 7, a 5,6, for an 8, and 6 for a 9.  Anything above that you can't hit.

Hope that helps

all the best

Steve
"...and as always, we are dealing with strange forces far beyond our comprehension...."

All limitations are self imposed.  Work hard and dream big.

Offline icedcanid

• Assistant
    • Frostys Kennel
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2019, 10:28:04 PM »
I am going to add to this one but for direct fire artillery. Not really sure how it works but this is my take.

Firing say at a target in the open within 40",  I presume I need to nominate a central aim point and place the blast template over that point, then roll 1 dice for each figure within the 2" or 3" radius needing a 4,5 or 6 to hit.

What determines the use of the 2" or 3" blast radius?

Cheers

Offline Dr Bogo

• Librarian
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2019, 09:17:15 AM »
The radius is determined by the calibre of the firing weapon,  I haven't got a copy of the rules to hand but I believe 3" is for artillery pieces of over 150mm in size (I think) while 2" is for roughly 75mm up to 150mm?

Offline stefanov

• Bookworm
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2019, 04:29:06 PM »
I think you need to throw one dice first to know if the shell arrived to point of aim, then you throw dice per figure.
Cheers, Stefano

Offline Ignatieff

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2019, 03:30:12 PM »
That's correct Stefano.  Throw to see if the shell hits, then throw for damage.