Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 02:48:32 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686662
  • Total Topics: 118119
  • Online Today: 815
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Skinners Horse Question  (Read 1219 times)

Offline Rogerc

• Scatterbrained Genius
Skinners Horse Question
« on: July 15, 2019, 01:05:28 PM »
After some feedback please. I want to use Skinners horse for the Sikh Wars, they provide a lovely contracts to all the red and blue on both sides. Most of the uniform is straight forward, yellow coat and red sash with red and yellow checked saddle cloth but heagear is ambiguous.

I have a couple of sources lacing them with a simple domed steel helmet and fur or clothsmall turban. Another gives them Persian style steel helmets and a further has the red turbans.

I am inclined to think that red turbans is most likely although the image I have is from 1820, tempted to do a bit of a mix make them a bit c"ampaigny" Mainly turbans with perhaps 3 or 4 steel helmets mixed in, possibly utilising some Plastic heads from Gripping Beast Saracens for example.

Anyone got any strong opinions on what Skinners were actually wearing in the Punjab?
+
My blog gapagnw.blogspot.co.uk

Offline Romark

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
Re: Skinners Horse Question
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2019, 01:39:16 PM »
This picture is from Kabul 1842.

Offline OB

• Mastermind
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2019, 09:38:06 PM »
I went for a mixture of red turbans and helmets with a red pugaree wrapped round.  It looks fine I think, they were irregulars after all.  The red and yellow saddle cloth was apparently thrown over the saddle just like in your pic' rather than being a saddle blanket. 

Searching for contemporary (ish) images I was unable to come to a definitive view of exactly what they wore in the Punjab.  I did find an interesting one of them firing from the saddle just as the Sikh Gorchurra liked to.

Offline Rogerc

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2019, 09:56:43 PM »
bRILLIANT THANK YOU, rOMARK THAT IMAGE IS EXACTLYHOW i IMAGINED THEM,  OB AS YOU SAY THEY WERE IRREGULARS SO I DONT THINK A COUPLEOF HELMETS MIXED IN WILL GO AMISS.