Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 03:18:10 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Modern Naval  (Read 1295 times)

Offline Easy E

• Mastermind
  • Just some guy who does stuff
    • Blood and Spectacles
Modern Naval
« on: July 15, 2019, 10:32:54 PM »
I've been thinking about putting together a small collection of modern naval vessels for gaming purposes...other than Harpoon/Sea Krieg.  Does anyone know of a good modern naval combat rules system?

I am looking for more game-y abstraction than simulationist but have not found much to my liking.

Support Blood and Spectacles Publishing:
https://www.patreon.com/Bloodandspectaclespublishing

Offline Arrigo

• Mastermind
  • errare humanum est, perseverare diabolicum est
    • Forward HQ my new blog where you can laugh at my crappy photos!
Re: Modern Naval
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2019, 03:20:42 PM »
I have only perused free materials, but Rory Crabb Naval Command seems promising.

Shipwreck is not bad. But very traditional, let's call it a streamlined and less granular Harpoon.

David Manley's bulldogs away is alos very, very good. Not that complex, but extremely realistic (David being David...). It is aimed at small craft actions, but nothing prevent you to use larger ships (frigate/destroyer). 

To be quite honest I found that in 1970+ games probably the small approach works better with miniatures due to ranges and capabilities. Even with Harpoon I ended up eschewing larger actions.  Reducing the number of ships made even Harpoon easy.

Larger actions (let's say attacking a CVBG...) are played better with hex and counter wargames (Fleet Series from Victory Games soon to be reprinted by Compass or even Compass' South China Sea) or going to a very abstracted route.  I have tried Dan Verssen Modern Naval Battles (both the new edition, and the old, free now, edition) replacing the ship card with miniatures, and the results are interesting.
"Put Grant straight in"

for pretty tanks and troops: http://forwardhq.blogspot.com

Offline has.been

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2019, 07:54:42 PM »
Try & pick up a copy of Sea Strike by Wargames Research Group.
It was Ultra modern when it came out, many many years ago.
For crying out loud I was still at school when I bought my copy
(and I'm 63 now).
It is a VERY good game, well worth tracking down a copy.

Offline fastolfrus

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2019, 07:45:54 PM »
I would second that call for Sea Strike.
Had some very interesting/innovative features.
Such as instead of points lists each player takes a brown envelope with a mission in it. Missions give objectives e.g. capture enemy base or sink enemy submarine, and also specify your budget (varied from about £50m to £400m). You then have a list of possible forces, including aircraft and a mix of ships (prices varied from about £5m to £100m). Obviously you keep the objective quiet until the game is over.
The entertaining feature being that if you have the objective of sinking the enemy sub and your enemy doesn't actually field one you cannot get your objective, although you might be able to stop them getting theirs.

Gary, Glynis, and Alasdair (there are three of us, but we are too mean to have more than one login)

Offline fastolfrus

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2019, 07:51:30 PM »
Also the combat results didn't use dice but a deck of combat cards, which included systems failure amongst the results

Offline Ben Waterhouse

• Librarian
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2019, 09:44:54 AM »
Just had a look on evilbay for a copy of Seastrike, I need to lie down in a darkened room now...
Arma Pacis Fulcra