Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 04:44:42 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Recommended Reading on the Internationals?  (Read 1602 times)

Offline CaptainHaddonCollider

• Scientist
Recommended Reading on the Internationals?
« on: July 19, 2019, 03:18:49 PM »
Hi LAF-brains,
I’ve just finished Christopher Othens “Franco’s International Brigades” and Hugh Thomas’ “The Spanish Civil War”, both of which were good reads.
I am now on the lookout for some litterature on the Lincolns and the Welsh part of the British Battalion - which are the must-reads on the subjects?

Offline Sparrow

• Mastermind
Re: Recommended Reading on the Internationals?
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2019, 10:25:59 PM »
Hi

For the “Lincoln’s” try this - https://www.amazon.co.uk/Spain-Our-Hearts-Americans-1936-1939/dp/1509810609/ref=sr_1_1?crid=PSUWJ86KJOTY&keywords=spain+in+our+hearts&qid=1563575045&s=gateway&sprefix=Spain+in+%2Caps%2C136&sr=8-1

Fascinated to see what anyone turns up re the Welsh involvement in the International Brigade....
Put your trust in God and keep your powder dry!

Offline dualer

• Bookworm
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2019, 09:08:54 AM »
The Abraham Lincoln Brigade and Death in the Olive Groves, both by Arthur H. Landis. Between the Bullet and the Lie by Cecil Eby, The Odyssey of the Abraham Lincoln Brigade by Peter N. Carroll. Nothing to my knowledge specifically about Welsh involvement in Spain.

Offline Ewan

• Scientist
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2019, 09:12:10 AM »
You might want to read Homage to Caledonia which covers Scots in the Spanish Civil War
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Homage-Caledonia-Scotland-Spanish-Civil/dp/1913025365/ref=tmm_pap_swatch_0?_encoding=UTF8&qid=&sr=

Offline CaptainHaddonCollider

• Scientist
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2019, 03:32:30 PM »
Thank you for all the lovely recommendations! As Strange as it may sound, I read the ‘Homage to Caledonia’ when it came out, because someone wrote a thread about it here on LAF. Its rather niche, but a very good book compared to some of the titles about the danish internationals.

Offline dualer

• Bookworm
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2019, 10:59:54 AM »
Voices from the Spanish Civil War by Iain MacDougall, is an excellent collection of personal accounts of Scottish volunteers. My Dad was an ex miner and recognised a couple of guys.

Offline tercio39

• Assistant
« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2019, 11:14:48 AM »
Try Mjne were of trouble by Peter Kemp , English Captain by Tom Wintringham , shallow Grave by Walter Gregory and Boadilla by Edmond Romilly for firsthand accounts . Unlikely Warriors by Richard Baxell and They shall not  pass by Ben Hughes are great reads . These offer a range of views both contemporary and modern , cheers AlexM