Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 08:20:40 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686621
  • Total Topics: 118114
  • Online Today: 777
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: DBA 3.0 Review  (Read 2435 times)

Offline vtsaogames

• Mastermind
    • Corlears Hook Fencibles
DBA 3.0 Review
« on: July 19, 2019, 04:52:53 PM »
I updated my old DBA review with the latest version (out since 2014, fast, ain't I?) https://corlearshookfencibles.blogspot.com/
And the glorious general led the advance
With a glorious swish of his sword and his lance
And a glorious clank of his tin-plated pants. - Dr. Seuss

My blog: http://corlearshookfencibles.blogspot.com/

Online has.been

• Galactic Brain
Re: DBA 3.0 Review
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2019, 05:45:22 PM »
Thanks for posting. I am even slower than you, I still play version 1.

Offline vtsaogames

• Mastermind
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2019, 06:25:07 PM »
Thanks for posting. I am even slower than you, I still play version 1.

My copy of version 1 has gone missing somewhere in my apartment. It has been gone for years. Every now and then something of mine or my wife's joins it and is never seen again. I do have 2.2, which means I still have the campaign rules.

Offline Plynkes

• The Royal Bastard
  • Elder God
  • I killed Mufasa!
    • http://misterplynkes.blogspot.com/
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2019, 06:33:22 PM »
I don't know which version I had, but it was a long time ago, so probably the first one. Unfortunately, I never clicked with these rules, and so never really progressed. They weren't really my cup of tea. Something was lacking, and I think for me it was that enigmatic concept: fun. I liked them in principle, in my head as it were, but just didn't really enjoy playing the game.

But I look forward to reading what you have to say about this newer version (about to do so now). Who knows, I'm a fair bit older now, perhaps if I gave them another go I would be more engaged with DBA than when I was younger.

With Cat-Like Tread
Upon our prey we steal...

Online has.been

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2019, 07:06:08 PM »
I don't think it is the rules fault. I have played it with people I count as friends.
The games were fun. The arrival of DBA, with its 'few figures needed' & quick
games came as a breath of fresh air. It resulted in not only a lot of good games, but
also a great reduction in my lead mountain (paint a few figures & another army is
born). On the other hand I have played the same rules with people I will politely
call rule lawyers. Result was not only no fun, but not even a pretext of reality.
One advised me to, 'Incline my Egyptian infantry' as then my Assyrian opponent would
have to move each of his chariots to match my troops.  The idea that a massed
chariot attack would stop mid-plain & manoeuvre one by one JUST because my rubbish
troops were not at 90 degrees to the charge did not seem weird to him. I declined his
rule advice, lost the battle, but kept my self respect.  I would rather lose, & have a
laugh, than win by such means.

Offline vtsaogames

• Mastermind
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2019, 03:01:33 AM »
I apply that to all rules. Don't play with jerks, life is too short.

Offline Plynkes

• The Royal Bastard
  • Elder God
  • I killed Mufasa!
    • http://misterplynkes.blogspot.com/
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2019, 09:19:28 AM »
Those are good points about the people you play with (that sort of thing spoiled a few games back in the day - I had one friend who was so competitive he almost always ruined any game he played in, be it a board game, tabletop war game or RPG), but it doesn't apply in this case, I never played it with him. It wasn't other people, it was something between me and the game that left me underwhelmed and unengaged.

But as I said, that was a different me, a long time ago. I'm perfectly willing to give it another chance, if I ever get around to it.

Offline Arrigo

• Mastermind
  • errare humanum est, perseverare diabolicum est
    • Forward HQ my new blog where you can laugh at my crappy photos!
« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2019, 10:12:16 AM »
I think the issue with DBA (I played it quite a lot back in time, even translated one of the earlier version in Italian for Stratelibri), is that it is too abstract and with no period feel. Years ago I have come to the conclusion that you cannot have single ruleset (not a single game engine) covering from Sumer to Fornovo.  Certainly not a simple one like DBA. I am even wary of games like DBMM or Field of Glory, and they tried to insert more period variations. But basically DBA is deprived of everything that made a wargame worthwhile to me, despite having some good ideas.

It is worth to note that it is not the size that made it too bland for me. Dan Mersey Dux Bellorum is a much better effort with a simile size.

"Put Grant straight in"

for pretty tanks and troops: http://forwardhq.blogspot.com

Offline Cluck Amok

• Bookworm
    • Cluck Amok
« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2019, 06:12:21 PM »
I recommend giving DBA 3.0 another look, with an open mind and a friendly opponent  :)

The addition of some side support with a corresponding reduction of other rear support, the solid/fast designations and a reduction (not elimination!) of geometric focus makes it a richer gaming experience than previous editions. I talk about it some on my blog.

Bests!

Offline levied troop

• Mastermind
« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2019, 07:42:11 AM »
I second has.been’s experience, the first edition of DBA was a real eye-opener for a butterfly wargamer like me. The campaign rules in particular were great and led to multiple armies and much fun.
The League of Gentlemen Anti Alchemists
(We Turn Gold into Lead)

Offline Aerendar Valandil

• Librarian
    • Amsterdam6Shooters Wargames Club
« Reply #10 on: December 29, 2019, 09:33:47 AM »
DBA and the related Art the la Guerre have a new life at our club as several new members showed up who added to a few old ones who liked the game but seldom played.

Must say AtlG is more to my tastes. DBA was too abstract for me, and yes, it attracted a certain 'precise' gameplay. Not for me.

But it's alive at the club again, and that is nice.

Offline Shahbahraz

• Mastermind
    • A Lead Odyssey
« Reply #11 on: January 01, 2020, 10:53:18 AM »
I have to say I have played DBA I guess for almost 30 years..  it was revolutionary!

It made ancients fun and accessible and took it away from those who thought you had to suffer to play ancients (27 factors for combat, and chart D.. or 'Newbury Fast Play').

It meant I could gather a whole lot of different armies and if I lost a game, then 'set 'em up again for another'. I could have elephants or chariots or wild Gauls or stolid legions...  very much more easily than gathering armies for 

Most people played it in the spirit in which it was intended, and those who didn't, would have been pr*cks in any game, not the fault of the rules.
Wargaming since the dark ages...

---https://aleadodyssey.blogspot.com/---

Offline GrahamC

• Bookworm
« Reply #12 on: January 07, 2020, 05:25:03 AM »
DBA3 has kept Ancients alive at the club - although we generally play Big battle DBA which we find is less abstract than the 12 elements standard game. It's even encouraged more to buy armies and participate!

Whilst not perfect ( I think in my soul I'm still a WRG 4th edition player) there is a lot good about the system