Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 12:45:02 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: AKULA’s Malayan Emergency Project  (Read 2070 times)

Offline AKULA

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
AKULA’s Malayan Emergency Project
« on: July 20, 2019, 10:32:04 AM »
After a brief period of focus upon a single project I seem to be branching out into a couple of extra items on my wargaming to-do list.

I’ve been toying with gaming the Malayan Emergency since the Britannia Inkerman range came out...I actually bought everything on pretty much day one, and then the figures disappeared in a house move.

Ironically the recent wave of interest in Vietnam has reignited my enthusiasm for a SE Asian game with more of a British feel to it.

On the plus side I can utilise my existing Apocalypse Isle terrain (and hopefully expand upon it) and some of the figures/vehicles I produced will even have their uses in this new project.

Figures

The Eureka Aden Emergency miniatures are lovely figures, crisply cast, but a smidge small compared to other potential candidates. I’m torn on them...I could build the bases up, but for now, only the odd one or two will make an appearance probably as Malay scouts.

I had high hopes for the Commando Miniatures range, but unfortunately they disappointed, but for very different reasons from the Eureka minis. The sculpting of the Commando minis is very hit and miss...some like the one in this photo are oddly proportioned, with huge heads. I did toy with a headswop, but the casting of many of the figures I received is pretty poor...not just flash, but in many cases it looks the mould was poorly clamped as the figure looks misaligned. As I don’t fancy having to effectively result the figures the majority of these will be dumped - I can save one or two, and in some cases I will swop out the SLR with one of my own, as I’m not a massive fan of the weaponry either.

Pleasingly the Britannia Inkerman Miniatures (now available from Andy at Grubby Tanks) were as I remembered, and the quality of the castings I received this week was excellent, with little or no flash. A bonus is that they also look pretty compatible with the “Governor-General’s Army” figures I had sculpted for my Apocalypse Isle project - which are now available from Crooked Dice. The Britannia figures are representative of the bulk of the conflict, with a focus upon carbines, SMGs and Enfields, but I’ll sprinkle in a few SLRs for later gaming on the basis that point men will invariably choose whatever weapons they feel suit them best in the field.

In terms of the MRLA, I’ve got the Britannia figures, and await with interest the new Bolt Action Koreans. I’ve also got some TAG Australians and a few VC on order, which should fit in pretty well.

Rules
I’m going to write some fast play as usual, which will allow for solo gaming, or give room for an umpire to add a bit of role playing for squad games, but that can also handle a company-sized battle complete with artillery & air support.

Campaign

An element of the game will be running it as a campaign - probably based upon a company-sized unit with support, conducting operations in a fixed area. To facilitate this, I’ve got hold of some US War Department maps of Malaya and will mark them up for my own purposes, highlighting potential Landing zones, Police Stations etc...and then give the MRLA player another map with targets, and possible extra trails etc. It’s detailed enough that players can call in six digit grid references for artillery as well.

The following is just a quick example of what I have in mind....

You probably can’t make it out on this photo, but the high-res copy I’ve got not only shows the rubber plantations which were targeted by the MRLA, but also roads/trails and also villages and even individual temples. The squares are a half mile each, so will give you an idea of what you could feature on an average sized table.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2019, 09:25:51 PM by AKULA »

Offline Ewan

• Scientist
Re: AKULA’s Malayan Emergency Project
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2019, 11:12:50 AM »
I believed that Studio Miniatures will be releasing later this year a range of figures entitled End of Empire that will cover the British Army in the 50s and 60s.

Offline AKULA

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2019, 04:02:48 PM »
I believed that Studio Miniatures will be releasing later this year a range of figures entitled End of Empire that will cover the British Army in the 50s and 60s.

Excellent news, I look forward to seeing what they come up with

:)

Offline traveller

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2019, 05:31:26 PM »
Great info! thanks for posting!

I was surprised to see the size of the Britannia miniatures. Are they made by another designer than the Congo range?

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2019, 05:34:34 PM »
As soon as I saw that thread title from you, I thought ‘Aha - another use for Matt’s excellent Apocalypse Isle terrain’  lol

Offline Terryb

• Librarian
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2019, 05:51:54 PM »
Thanks for the post. Good to see how the ranges compare. I have a lot of the Britannia African figures which I really like, and you have convinced me to do this campaign with their figures. Really looking forward to seeing more of your project

Offline FreakyFenton

• Mastermind
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2019, 12:31:27 AM »
Following with interest!  :o
"No human being would stack books like -that-!" -Dr. Peter Venkman

Offline AKULA

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2019, 08:22:33 PM »
I was surprised to see the size of the Britannia miniatures. Are they made by another designer than the Congo range?

I believe so, although I couldn’t tell you who sculpted which range, but the style is v.different.

Offline traveller

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2019, 08:51:05 PM »
I believe so, although I couldn’t tell you who sculpted which range, but the style is v.different.

Thanks for that, I think I have to take a closer look at these. Would you say that the sculpting quality is at an average good level or do the quality vary between the packs available?

Offline AKULA

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2019, 10:28:30 AM »
Thanks for that, I think I have to take a closer look at these. Would you say that the sculpting quality is at an average good level or do the quality vary between the packs available?

The Brits, Gurkhas and Malay Guerillas are all v.consistent - very happy with them.

I’m less sure about the civvie pack and the armed female pack as I don’t have either, but they look less crisp than the rest.

Offline traveller

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2019, 11:09:11 AM »
The Brits, Gurkhas and Malay Guerillas are all v.consistent - very happy with them.

I’m less sure about the civvie pack and the armed female pack as I don’t have either, but they look less crisp than the rest.

Perfect, thanks!