Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 11:55:41 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686475
  • Total Topics: 118102
  • Online Today: 857
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: LRDG/SAS jeeps - question about size  (Read 2729 times)

Offline malto cortese

• Scientist
  • Ein genie uberblickt das chaos
LRDG/SAS jeeps - question about size
« on: July 20, 2019, 02:02:49 PM »
Hi everybody, I am trying to build a small detachment of the PPA - Popski's private army - for the Italian campaign, and I am looking at the different products on the market in order to build a force which has some variety. So far I have the warlord European SAS jeep and the Company B one, and the latter is definitely bigger than the former. What does the hive mind think about the Offensive miniatures/Rubicon/Perry ones? Which size are they, compared to what I already have? Thanks!
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made. Groucho Marx

Offline Ultravanillasmurf

• Galactic Brain
    • Ultravanillasmurf
Re: LRDG/SAS jeeps - question about size
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2019, 04:27:02 PM »
Just to check - you are saying the Company B one is larger?

I heard that Warlord had a larger scale version of the jeep from their original version (I have one from way back when).

Here is a size comparison of Empress (1/50), Warlord and Rubicon.

For bits, the Rubicon is by far the best.
Instructions are here:
http://forum.rubiconmodels.com/index.php?topic=623.0
The problem is that a scale 1/56 [edit] Warlord Jeep looks tiny against heroic 28mm figures.

Even ignoring the bases.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2019, 08:10:28 AM by Ultravanillasmurf »

Offline malto cortese

• Scientist
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2019, 05:02:02 PM »
Thanks! Yes, the Company B is definitely bigger, even if maybe not as much as the Empress one. And the Rubicon one looks very tiny indeed..

Offline Cubs

• Galactic Brain
  • "I simply cannot survive without beauty ..."
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2019, 05:05:15 PM »
In fairness, the Willy's Jeep was a small car. I saw a replica at a show and the guys in it were hanging out the sides when sat in it. But yes, that Rubicon one looks like a toy car next to those guys!
'Sir John ejaculated explosively, sitting up in his chair.' ... 'The Black Gang'.

Paul Cubbin Miniature Painter

Offline Eclaireur

• Scientist
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2019, 05:51:19 PM »
Hi Malto - I think you've already got there but lest you still be wondering, I've got the Company B and Rubicon jeeps. The Rubicon model is pretty small, as others have shown you. Company B one a little bigger - about 3mm in length. I think if you want want decidedly bigger maybe go for Empress or use die cast ones,
EC

Offline tin shed gamer

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2019, 06:28:40 PM »
Ah the old chestnut is back.This is often argued by arm chair generals on other forums who religiously site period photos with no context or sense of perspective.To prove one companies model more accurate than another's.

Cubs is absolutely right.They're roughly ten feet long.The Austin7 it longer at around 10'7" to 11'2" depending on the coach work.
A really loose(and I do mean loose) rule of thumb is.
1/55-1/56 is roughly 5mm to a foot , 1/50 roughly 6mm.1/48 roughly 6.3mm often gets rounded up to 6.5mm (by those who cant do math or find thre calculator app on their phone.) 1/43 is roughly 7mm.
The ones I did for 1st corps are roughly 5.7cm excluding rear wheel and front towing hitch.(roughly 1/52 +/- casting limitations.)
The Austin is 1/50 +/- casting limitations.All figures are 28mm foot to eye.
Both models work with 28mm foot to eye.However the Austin is designed to fit comfortably with larger figures too.
But they look out of scale next to each other.So it's really horses for courses.But if you know the legnth of a model jeep and the heights of the average figure in your collection then the rough list of scaling should help you choose the right size for your figures (plus a ten foot long vehicle is a nice bit of three pint finger math ;))

Offline malto cortese

• Scientist
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2019, 09:31:16 PM »
Ah the beauty of this site! Thanks folks, I got some wonderful answers in a very short time! It's really great to know that there are a lot of you out there!

Just to make myself clear, I am not a stickler for exactitude, or I wouldn't be playing games! I don't want to know which jeep is the right scale, I just wanted to know where would you place Rubicon/Perry/Offensive (and other ones) when compared to the Warlord and Company B ones that I already have, and that are remarkably different in size. I now know that I should NOT definitely go for Rubicon as it is even smaller than my warlord one and I would have three jeeps of three different sizes! Any idea about the other ones? I am very tempted by the Perry set with three jeeps, but I would like to know whether they are at least compatible with the Warlord one
« Last Edit: July 20, 2019, 09:34:54 PM by malto cortese »

• Galactic Brain
    • Ultravanillasmurf
« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2019, 07:45:45 AM »
I am not sure where you get the Warlord is bigger than the Rubicon one, they are the same size (I have no photographs of the Offensive one but when I compared it to the Warlord one they looked the same).

[Edit]See below....
« Last Edit: July 21, 2019, 08:16:28 AM by Ultravanillasmurf »

• Galactic Brain
    • Ultravanillasmurf
« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2019, 08:09:10 AM »
Warlord and Rubicon (now assembled, but not painted).

The Rubicon one appears marginally wider, and stands taller (the wheels look slightly bigger), which may make it appear longer in the first photograph.

The only WW2 figure (bar the kneeling Perry in the back) I had to hand was an Empress Late War German - for proportion not height.

There are more photographs here:
http://ultravanillasmurf.blogspot.com/2019/07/compare-jeep-part-94.html
« Last Edit: July 21, 2019, 08:21:34 AM by Ultravanillasmurf »

Offline malto cortese

• Scientist
« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2019, 08:31:42 AM »
I guess I was misled by your early posting - I had the impression that the Rubicon in the plastic bag was smaller than the warlord. Thanks for pointing that out!

• Galactic Brain
    • Ultravanillasmurf
« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2019, 09:06:13 AM »
I guess I was misled by your early posting - I had the impression that the Rubicon in the plastic bag was smaller than the warlord. Thanks for pointing that out!
The misleading bit was it was just the main body moulding (one piece multi-slide), so the Warlord one included the bumper, plus, as I noticed when photographing them this morning, the height off the ground affects the apparent size.

Offline Cubs

• Galactic Brain
  • "I simply cannot survive without beauty ..."
« Reply #11 on: July 21, 2019, 09:08:21 AM »
Would adjustments made in theatre affect the apparent size of the things? I'm no mechanic, so I don't know if tinkering with the suspension and fitting different wheels for cross-country desert service would alter the height that much?

• Galactic Brain
    • Ultravanillasmurf
« Reply #12 on: July 21, 2019, 09:15:32 AM »
Tin Shed Gamer makes some very good points.

I use three "scales" (four really) for 28mm gaming.

1/56 for WW2, 1/48-50 for post war and 1/43 for The Walking Dead.

William Killian on a 25mm diameter base for scale.

From experience, 1/48 and 1/50 can be mixed as long as you do not have the same vehicle in different scales.

I also probably would not mix the same vehicle from different manufacturers.

• Galactic Brain
    • Ultravanillasmurf
« Reply #13 on: July 21, 2019, 09:19:36 AM »
Would adjustments made in theatre affect the apparent size of the things? I'm no mechanic, so I don't know if tinkering with the suspension and fitting different wheels for cross-country desert service would alter the height that much?
From this morning's experience, and dredging some ancient optics knowledge, apparent length will alter viewed from above.

Jeeps also have the advantage of being festooned with kit.

Offline Truscott Trotter

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #14 on: July 22, 2019, 12:20:33 AM »
To reply to the OP if you want to match new larger Warlords jeeps try Dixons very nice kit but all metal