Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 10:15:59 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Napoleonic Skirmish, sailors (page 5)  (Read 20003 times)

Offline Mad Doc Morris

• Mastermind
  • Olympus speaketh?
Re: Napoleonic Skirmish
« Reply #15 on: June 27, 2009, 09:30:01 PM »
Well chosen bunch of miniatures there. Tried myself at Napoleonic skirmishing (as can be seen here on the forum), but I'm sure you will simply trivialise my humble efforts. This little yacht alone is outstanding! :-*
However, I'm really looking forward to see this project finished no sooner as it has begun.

Offline dijit

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • And when Eric eats a banana...
« Reply #16 on: June 28, 2009, 07:12:53 AM »
I'm guessing you're going to be using Flintloque rules then (I should've read your website first!). I've never even seen flintloque in action, how do they compare to other rulessets?

Offline matakishi

• The Teacher
  • Galactic Brain
  • Cousin of Hammers
    • Matakishi's Tea House
« Reply #17 on: June 28, 2009, 08:06:45 AM »
The ship is hand made from wood and I bought it for a small fee off eBay. It is off-scale, the wheel is perfect fro 28mm figures as are the ratlines, the guns are just about passable but a little small but the decks are too close together for figures to fit (if you had access to them, which you don't). I plan to use it for scenery along a quayside for boat-borne attacks on supply warehouses and similar tings.

I do want to do some naval stuff, I have the Limeys and Slimeys rules which are great, but I will make or buy simplified wargaming ships for that which have minimal rigging to get in the way etc. This isn't part of the project and will (may) be tacked on as a separate project at a later date.

@ meninobesta Ordering from Britannia is straight forward if, as you rightly point out, somewhat backwards for the 21st Century. You send a list of what you want and Dave sends a Paypal invoice of the total cost. Postage is 10% with orders over £50 free (I think, it's something like this anyway, I usually buy too much to pay any postage). Dave is also good at answering any questions you might have.

I am using the Guernsey Foundry (now Wargames Foundry) black powder skirmish rules that had no name originally and are (were) available for free on the Wargames Foundry website. They are similar to their western 'rules with no name' as far as the activation parts go but the firing is different and very clever. Having skimmed through my copy of Song of Drums and Shakos I'm sure they'll work just fine too. However, to begin with, I'll be using the old rules that I'm familiar with.

Originally, when I had a shop, Flintloque inspired many of us to paint Napoleonic armies (albeit with odd creatures in the uniforms) but after trying the rules we found them not to be to our liking so started using the GF rules instead. We got many of our young customers playing Napoleonics this way without them even noticing  lol

I have just ordered a figure which is going to be Brigadier Gerard from Front Rank, he was always on my list.

Offline Le matou rouge

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #18 on: June 28, 2009, 08:46:07 AM »
I have just ordered a figure which is going to be Brigadier Gerard from Front Rank, he was always on my list.

As Mad Carew Sr rightly says, he's the only way to play Naps with fun !!!
Very inspiring project, Paul, and this boat, what a beauty !

meow,
Matt

@ Vanvlak : Don't you ever read Horatio Hornblower adventures yet ? You're doomed if not  :D
We are the Village Green Preservation Society
We are the Sherlock Holmes English Speaking Vernacular
Help save Fu Manchu, Moriarty and Dracula
Ray Davies

Offline argsilverson

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #19 on: June 28, 2009, 08:50:05 AM »

always fancy Brigadier Gerard, which figure will you use?
argsilverson

Offline Vanvlak

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #20 on: June 28, 2009, 09:02:31 AM »

@ Vanvlak : Don't you ever read Horatio Hornblower adventures yet ? You're doomed if not  :D
Nope - not yet - and that's a good thing, I still have something to look forward too  :D

Offline the commissar

• Scientist
« Reply #21 on: June 28, 2009, 10:15:19 AM »
You should have a look at the Sharp Practice rules - excellent for Napoleonic Skirmish with heroic characters.

If you look at the Too Fat Lardies Yahoo Group there are a number of AAR write ups.

Offline matakishi

• The Teacher
  • Galactic Brain
  • Cousin of Hammers
    • Matakishi's Tea House
« Reply #22 on: June 28, 2009, 10:21:06 AM »
I have the lardies rules, they require too many figures for what I want.
I'm using a Front Rank Hussar for Gerard.

Offline meninobesta

• Mad Scientist
  • Bastard Saint, Scorn of the Earth
« Reply #23 on: June 28, 2009, 01:43:46 PM »
Thanks Matakishi!  :)
Cheers,
Pedro

Offline Gluteus Maximus

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #24 on: June 28, 2009, 08:24:39 PM »
I have the lardies rules, they require too many figures for what I want.
I'm using a Front Rank Hussar for Gerard.

Brigadier Gerard! I read those stories whilst at school and really enjoyed them. I'd completely forgotten about him.

Odd that they were the first Arthur Conan Doyle stories I ever read, despite loving the old Basil Rathbone "Sherlock Holmes" films.   ::)

I'm sure he will be a lot of fun to use in skirmish games!

Offline theoldschool

• Scientist
« Reply #25 on: June 28, 2009, 10:25:53 PM »
I am using the Guernsey Foundry (now Wargames Foundry) black powder skirmish rules that had no name originally and are (were) available for free on the Wargames Foundry website. They are similar to their western 'rules with no name' as far as the activation parts go but the firing is different and very clever.

Sounds very interesting. I have the original wild west rules from the Foundry web site, how does their black powder shooting work?

Pat

Offline matakishi

• The Teacher
  • Galactic Brain
  • Cousin of Hammers
    • Matakishi's Tea House
« Reply #26 on: June 28, 2009, 10:52:04 PM »
From the rules:

The Fate Deck is used to determine which character takes a turn, and which characters load their
weapons. The players take it in turn to draw a card (or chit or whatever), then:

If it is a character card
, that character takes a turn, and the card is placed on the discard pile.
If it is an action card then it is display face up on the table: The next player to draw a character card
of a class at least as high as that of a displayed action card can keep it in his hand until he decides to
use it to give a free turn to any of his characters of a class at least as high as that on the card at any
time; even part way through someone else’s turn. He can pick up any number of action cards
simultaneously.

If it is the reload card
, it is placed face up on the table.

If it is a character’s firing card
, then, only if the reload card is face up on the table ,the firing card is
passed to the appropriate character’s player. Otherwise, the firing card is discarded. It is up to the
drawing player whether he reveals which character’s card this was. This introduces an element of
tension, as often it is not possible to tell which characters have their weapons loaded.
Characters who are charging, seriously wounded, knocked down, knocked out or mounted never
receive their firing card however.
Like action cards, firing cards are taken into the players hand, and can be used at any time to take a
shot, the firing card is then discarded.
Characters armed with multiple firearms have a firing card for each.

Offline elysium64

• Potatoe Cup Holder 2010
  • Mastermind
« Reply #27 on: June 29, 2009, 12:24:00 AM »
I have great memories of these Flintloque games, With my brave but foolhardy African Hobbits. Great set of rules will be using these with my Mountain Men if I ever get them finished!

Offline Malamute

• Prince of Darkness
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
    • Boot Hill Miniatures
« Reply #28 on: June 29, 2009, 04:49:56 PM »

Brigadier Gerard! I read those stories whilst at school and really enjoyed them. I'd completely forgotten about him.

Odd that they were the first Arthur Conan Doyle stories I ever read, despite loving the old Basil Rathbone "Sherlock Holmes" films.   ::)

Me too :)

I loved those stories. My father managed to find me a nice old copy of the Adventures and expoits of Brigadier Gerrard whic had some lovely old black and white plates showing scenes from the stories. They are very reminicent of the Strand Sherlock Holmes drawyings. I still have the book. :D

This is a great project, I am so looking forward to seeing the results of your labours.
"These creatures do not die like the bee after the first sting, but go on age after age, feeding on the blood of the living"  - Abraham Van Helsing

Offline matakishi

• The Teacher
  • Galactic Brain
  • Cousin of Hammers
    • Matakishi's Tea House
« Reply #29 on: June 29, 2009, 04:55:54 PM »
Ha  lol I'd forgotten about your stoned hobbits Simon!
« Last Edit: June 29, 2009, 06:04:49 PM by matakishi »