Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 06:20:37 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690678
  • Total Topics: 118343
  • Online Today: 866
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Judge Dredd Miniatures Game Preview by Warlord Games  (Read 6465 times)

Offline olyreed

• Mastermind
Re: Judge Dredd Miniatures Game Preview by Warlord Games
« Reply #30 on: July 25, 2019, 03:52:41 PM »
I believe Duncan Jones is directing, so I am very hopeful for the movie

Offline nozza_uk

• Mad Scientist
    • The wargaming world of Nozza
« Reply #31 on: July 25, 2019, 05:52:25 PM »
Aren’t they making. Rogue trooper film? Hopefully that will mean more interest!

And there's supposed to be a Dredd TV series on the cards too.

Offline Cubs

• Galactic Brain
  • "I simply cannot survive without beauty ..."
« Reply #32 on: July 25, 2019, 06:23:27 PM »

Which makes more sense to me than trying to make movies. I thought Carl Urban's film was pretty good actually, if limited, but in a way that I enjoyed after the awful Stallone outing. JD is a serialized comic strip after all, with hundreds if not thousands of stories to tell, so why not use that vehicle now that CGI will paint the picture of Mega-City One relatively cheaply.   
'Sir John ejaculated explosively, sitting up in his chair.' ... 'The Black Gang'.

Paul Cubbin Miniature Painter

Offline Bloggard

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #33 on: July 25, 2019, 06:36:45 PM »
I seem to be in a very small minority of people who quite liked the stallone movie. Seems nicely comic-booky to me.

only saw a trailer for the more recent one. That was enough.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2019, 05:19:04 PM by Bloggard »

Offline Westfalia Chris

• Cardboard Warlord
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Brain
  • Elaborate! Elucidate! Evaluate!
« Reply #34 on: July 25, 2019, 07:06:00 PM »
I seem to be in a very small minority of people of quite liked the stallone movie. Seems nicely comic-booky to me.

only saw a trailer for the more recent one. That was enough.

I quite like the Stallone film for the visuals, which is rather evocative of the later (i.e. early 1990s, for better or worse) MC-1 aesthetic, but fails to meet the proper tone (too silly for its own good, while not ironic/sarcastic enough).

The Urban film is much grittier and more despairing, but lacks a bit in the visual department (still very slick, though, but for my taste, it could have done with more bling) and is a bit too serious (definitely lacking in the humour department).

As for the game(s), I think that the SD game has more potential than just the Wild-West-in-Space shootouts (and they've done a number of figs I was overjoyed to see, notably the Kreelers and Mutant War Generals), but at the same time my impression is that it does a good job for the aforementioned shootout variety, too. Depending on how much work they put into the adaptation, I think the engine might work better for JD than the Mongoose one did (I never warmed to that one, although I still have the last hardcover edition).

Offline steders

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #35 on: July 26, 2019, 09:19:42 AM »
but Dredd has already been so badly treated by GW, Foundry Mongoose et al that I doubt eventhey can save it.

Pessimism much?

Holy shit!! GW hasn't had the Dredd licence for over 25 years!
Wow, you know how to bear a grudge

(And I actually thought they supported it quite well as an RPG)

Offline steders

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #36 on: July 26, 2019, 09:22:11 AM »
Figures look great and I will absolutely pick up some Lawmasters.
I mix loads of different ranges of figures for my dredd games, the only 'constant' you need is the judges.

Offline Bloggard

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #37 on: July 26, 2019, 11:06:10 AM »

The Urban film is much grittier and more despairing, but lacks a bit in the visual department (still very slick, though, but for my taste, it could have done with more bling) and is a bit too serious (definitely lacking in the humour department).

aye, that succinctly expresses why the trailer was enough for me. Too much grimdark for the sake of it around for me tbh, and my last exposure to the comics may well have been the mk.1 of the 90s as you put it (I guess I think Bolland ... dunno). I thought they did the psycho family out in the deadland rather well etc... And Stallone, although bulky, somehow had the right look (facially I think)

anyhow ... I guess that's enough about that ...  lol

Offline bong-67

• Librarian
« Reply #38 on: July 26, 2019, 01:02:42 PM »
I like both of the Dredd movies, neither are perfect but they both bring some of the ethos of Dredd to the big screen quite well.
The visuals in the Stallone movie are excellent, Mega City One looks like the way it was drawn in the comics of the time.  Stallone is a good Dredd apart from the major issue of keeping his helmet off.  Stallone in the full Judge's uniform with helmet looks very like the Ron Smith Dredd from the 80s
The other movie has a much better plot and Urban nails the Clint Eastwood style  Bolland or McMahon Dredd very well.  However, the visuals are very cheap looking and don't really convey the Mega City One of the comics at all.
I think the new Judge Dredd game will be a success.  The rules (assuming they are going to be very similar to the SD ones) work well and give a good skirmish game.
I think I'll find the JD game more appealing than the SD one.  I like SD but the basic space western shoot-out premise is very samey.  It also doesn't help that (for me) the only cool characters are Johnny, Wulf, the Gronk, Middenface, Durham Red and the Styx brothers.  Most of the other mutants (SD agents or otherwise) are either too ugly or too ridiculous looking to be appealing.
In Dredd, I think the judges have a cool look so you can play generic ones and not just Dredd and the Judges have lots of cool opponents from renegade robots to my favourite, the Sovs.

Offline Sir_Theo

• Mastermind
« Reply #39 on: July 26, 2019, 01:20:09 PM »
The Karl Urban Dredd is a really good film. I'm not sure how good a Judge Dredd film it is. The plot and actors of the newer film with the visuals of the Stallone film would probably make the ultimate Dredd film.

I liked the Mongoose game. I'm not sure if ill invest in this one. I think I may end up with the Wildlands reskin by Osprey instead to scratch that itch.

https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/275034/judge-dredd-helter-skelter

Offline Duncan McDane

• Mastermind
« Reply #40 on: July 26, 2019, 01:28:45 PM »
Well, hope springs eternal that Warlord will buck their own trend on this one and actually keep it running for more than 6 months rather than losing interest and wandering off to something else shiny.

This. Investing in a game that loses updats & support after only a couple of months isn't that inviting. Have some JD models and books from past publishers but I really like to get started with it seriously this time :-).
Leadhead

Offline Matakakea

• Scientist
« Reply #41 on: July 26, 2019, 04:45:16 PM »
Strange. An Osprey newsletter advertising the game just popped up as I was reading this column. I'm going to guess that there may be future supplements to the game. If so then I really hope they can do a proper supplement covering the Apocalypse War (and figures of course). This is something I've long wanted to game, but never got the chance to get the figures while they were still available.
I'm not a mercenary. Killing's more of a hobby for me.

Offline Dags

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
« Reply #42 on: July 26, 2019, 05:52:08 PM »

Been told by an industry insider that it's dead in the water.

Offline n815e

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #43 on: July 27, 2019, 04:36:25 AM »

Someone should tell Rebellion that.
They did buy a studio...

As for civilians, I buy them whenever I find suitable ones.
I haven’t had time to paint for a while, but I am still collecting for when I will be able to return to it.
https://generalgulliver.blogspot.com/search/label/Judge%20Dredd?m=0

Offline Lowtardog

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #44 on: July 27, 2019, 11:04:28 AM »

Yup I saw that on a Twitter post.

I think this is great news from warlord, I picked up Strontium Dog and the rules play out very well, the miniatures are nicely sculpted. I'm sure it will go from strength to strength